Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 AM

113 posts, read 278,189 times

Advertisements

Who is your favourite author and why?
Have they ever written a book that you didn't enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo25 View Post
Who is your favourite author and why?
Have they ever written a book that you didn't enjoy?
i loved reading all the books by taylor caldwell, they all were great. there was one about luke whic I really like how he was a doctor who mission
was to heal.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
I can't narrow it down to just one. It's a tie between Anne Tyler and Pat Conroy. I love character studies and books that put you in a characters shoes. I haven't read a book by either of them that I didn't enjoy.
John Irving used to be in my top three but I haven't liked his last three books.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,460 times
If I read a book I really love, I tend to pick up EVERYTHING by that author. I have several favorites. For years and years Stephen King was my #1, but I can't read any of his books from Despiration on. I have gone back and reread several of his older books though. I love John Connolly, Anne Rice, Jane Green, Amy Tan and Sophie Kinsella. I'm sure I forgot a few.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Jane Austen; I feel like she could have written her books yesterday and they would be just as relevant.
Also, Edith Wharton...reading her books is like being transported to that time and place.
OK, can't sign off without mentioning Henry James and E.M. Forster. And Colette, Proust and OK, I'll stop...for now.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,038 times
George R.R. Martin

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Love Barbara Kingsolver. Liked all of her stuff, some more than others (Poisonwood Bible is in my top 5).

Love Amy Tan. Although her books tend to be similar, I can't put one down when I'm reading. Saving Fish from Drowning was good but not great. I really enjoyed her memoir, The Opposite of Fate.

Used to list Stephen King as a favorite, but I don't care for his more recent stuff. He was in a car accident, a coma?, in the early 90's I think...seems that since then I don't care for his books as much. Though I have enjoyed some tv movies, did his mind change?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,857 times
Authors whose works gave me new vistas, which helped me make great leaps in evolving myself:
Joseph Chilton Pearce - The Crack In The Cosmic Egg
Itzhak Bentov - Stalking The Wild Pendulum
Gary Zukav - The Seat Of The Soul

Just for great manic fun: every novel by Robert Ludlum.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:43 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
I also used to really like Stephen Kings books. I do believe the accident changed him and not for the better.
I like Dean Koontz much better. I still haven't read all of his books, but still working on it.
James Patterson, most of his books I like. Except for several with co-authors for some reason.

I also will buy all the books I can find of an author whose book Ive read and just loved. Some examples:
LuAnne Rice, Lavryle Spencer, Susan Wiggs, Nora Roberts, Belva Plain, plus a few more I can't remember at the moment because i'm too tired. (its almost 3am as i type this, someone tell me to go to bed please) lol

Old 09-12-2008, 04:29 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
I have so many favorite authors it is hard to remember all of them. However Larry McMurtry has to be close to the top of my list. Of the 20 or so titles of his I read I liked all of them. Maybe he has written one I don't like but I haven't found it yet.

Others on my list: Herman Wouk, James Michener, Jeffrey Archer, Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, Clive Cussler, Danielle Steele (keep that one a secret OK?), Janet Evanovich, JJ Jance, Fay Kellerman, Robin Cook, Colleen McCullough, John Grisham, Dean Koontz, Steven Coonts, Steven Hunter, Richard Adams. Issac Assimov, Phillip Jose Farmer, Ray Bradbury, Ron Hubbard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, H G Wells, Mark Twain . . . .

Several authors I can't stand: With the exception of NAKED AND THE DEAD, anything by Norman Mailer; most anything by Gore Vidal; Phillip Roth; Al Franken; Al Gore; Michael Moore and a few others I can't remember right now.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books