Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Love Barbara Kingsolver. Liked all of her stuff, some more than others (Poisonwood Bible is in my top 5).

Love Amy Tan. Although her books tend to be similar, I can't put one down when I'm reading. Saving Fish from Drowning was good but not great. I really enjoyed her memoir, The Opposite of Fate.

Used to list Stephen King as a favorite, but I don't care for his more recent stuff. He was in a car accident, a coma?, in the early 90's I think...seems that since then I don't care for his books as much. Though I have enjoyed some tv movies, did his mind change?
Actually, he was hit by a van while walking along the road near his home in 1999. He spent months in the hospital healing from that, but I don't recall anything about a coma. And I have found his books since then to be every bit as enjoyable as the ones before then. Yes, they are a bit different, but they can still scare the pants off a reader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have a few, but the one I've probably read the most is Stephen King... he may not be a literary genius, but he's a darned good storyteller! I also love a good scare, and his books have been known to keep me awake at night. One of his I simply couldn't read was Insomnia - no pun intended, LOL. I really wanted to like it, since the premise was interesting, but simply couldn't get into it... nothing grabbed me by page 100-ish, even after starting over a few times. Oh well.

Btw, some of my other favorites are Dean Koontz, Isabel Allende, Allen Ginsberg, Langston Hughes, Elie Wiesel, Ray Bradbury, and H.G. Wells. Haven't read anything bad by these authors, although I recently read Phantoms by Koontz, and was less than impressed.
Insomnia had me by page 10 - mainly, I think, because I kept looking for the 'scary parts'! LOL! That is one that I simply found myself unable to put down. I think I read it through in less than 24 hours. (Yes, there are times when I literally have 'nothing better to do' than sit and read!) Second reading took a little longer because it was on lunch breaks at work.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 AM

352 posts, read 796,612 times
I have many "favorite" writers...depends upon my mood at the time. Some writers that I have read and enjoyed recently are Richard Russo, Alice Hoffman, Anita Shreve, Sharyn McCrumb, and my favorite "Brit" mystery writers Peter Robinson and the great Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine!

In my opinion, it's virtually impossible to choose just one favorite!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 AM

321 posts, read 853,550 times
I have a lot of authors I enjoy and keep an eye out for them at booksales.

I have almost every book that Clive Cussler has written and he will always be my favorite author.

However, Jonathan Kellerman, Faye Kellerman, Michael Connelly, Sharon Kay Penman, Nelson DeMille, and Patricia Cornwell, are also excellent writers IMO.

Danielle Steel novels are not everyone's cup of tea and I would never list her as one ofmy favorite authors, but after reading grusome murder/thrillers, she's kind of a "fluff" novel that provides a good break. (lol)

Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo25 View Post
Who is your favourite author and why?
Have they ever written a book that you didn't enjoy?
My favorite author is James Patterson. I have read most of his books and of course, some were better than others, but I really enjoyed the over-whelming majority of them. Especially the Alex Cross series and the Women's Murder Club series. However, a couple of his books that I have tried to read recently were not good at all, IMO. I started, but didn't finish, The Thomas Berryman Number, The Jester and The Season of the Machete. I have been hearing that The Jester gets better, so I will finish that one after I'm done with When The Wind Blows, which I'm half way done with, and The Lake House, which goes after When The Wind Blows. Anyway, again though, other than those few books, I have at least liked, if not loved, the rest of the James Patterson books I have read.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:55 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
Adrian C. Louis - Skins

And anything by Sherman Alexie

Why - because they are written by and about us Skins.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:16 PM

21 posts, read 52,268 times
Most recently.. James Patterson.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
I think I would have to say the author I have enjoyed the most over the years was "Eugenia Price". She is now deceased. She wrote a series of 4 books called the Savanah Quartet, set in pre Civil War and during and after it. It followed several families in Georgia and surrounding states. Many were based on actual people. She also has written sever single books and a memoir. She so influenced me that my husband and I took a trip to Georgia and the Golden Isles. She is burried on St. Simon Island at the church grave yard of a lovely little church Fredricka. We visited it and saw the stones of many that appeard in her books. You could call them well researched historical novels. We also spent 3 days in Savanah on that trip, which probably wouldn't have happend had I not read Eugenia's books.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 PM

39 posts, read 115,782 times
I love Elizabeth Berg. She was the first author I've read that I loved one book, picked up another one by her, loved it, and another, and another......

Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM

32 posts, read 44,335 times
STEPHEN KING
John Le Carre
Margaret Atwood
Agatha Christie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books