Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 08:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,023,302 times

Advertisements

Any comic book fans here or fans of Graphic Novels?

Should we get a comic book/graphic novel subforum?

The DC and Marvel Multiverses are bigger and more encompassing than any work of fiction ever created by mankind.

I think they deserve their own discussion subforum, or at least there should be one for comics/graphic novels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 04:37 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,861,887 times
Generally subforums are only created by the Admin when traffic on a topic reaches a certain point in a forum- if there are a lot of posts on a certain topic, a new subforum might be considered.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-28-2019, 06:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,097,042 times
Maybe start a thread -- or multiple threads, by theme/topic -- and see how that goes?

Old 07-30-2019, 08:29 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,354,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Any comic book fans here or fans of Graphic Novels?
Sure. I read tons of comics as a kid and then picked up the habit again in the early 2000s. I still read some now and then, though both Marvel and DC's direction seems to have largely left me behind in recent years. Too much attention on plot and world-altering events and not enough emphasis on characters.

Most of what I read these days I get from the library.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:16 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,731,295 times
Nope. I've only read two: Maus and Persepolis. And no reason to think I'll be reading more.

I think if there are occasional threads in here or in the general entertainment section about the more literary ones, fine. But to me, DC/Marvel belong more in a hobby section.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,354,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Nope. I've only read two: Maus and Persepolis. And no reason to think I'll be reading more.

I think if there are occasional threads in here or in the general entertainment section about the more literary ones, fine. But to me, DC/Marvel belong more in a hobby section.
Don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean it harshly. But your opinion by your own admission is based on an almost complete ignorance of the genre.

Yes, 95% of comics are empty, vapid entertainment. Nothing more. But 95% of novels are are empty, vapid entertainment. Nothing more. And 95% of music is empty, vapid entertainment. Nothing more. Comics are just another medium for story, no more or less inherently better than any other.

The other 5% ... ? Those are worthy of praise and discussion, and that is just as much true of comics as it is movies, TV, novels, poetry, and music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books