Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:36 PM

7,319 posts, read 9,398,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You could probably get by without it, if you really wanted to skip it. But you would want to know the circumstances of the young woman's birth, and the relationship 20 years ago between her grandfather and someone who's an old woman in the second book. Knowing about the early rise and persecution of Lollards in the first book puts the historical events in the second book in perspective.

The first book, though not great, only took 3-4 nights to read, so it wasn't a burdensome "prerequisite."
If you want me to just summarize it for you, I can do that in a direct message.
For now it's on my to-read list until I have more time to read. It does sound interesting though. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 PM

37,342 posts, read 60,105,612 times
Two books I don't think mentioned are By Right of Arms ---about a French noblewoman who is forced to marry one of Edward 3rds Knights to save her estate after her husband is killed in battle---and "The Troubadour's Romance" set in time of Elinor of Aquitane's Regeancy --about a young woman of unknown parentage who is rather forced to marry a knight who feels he is cursed to be unloved...
They are more romance oriented that many historicals I read but are not frivolous

Red Adam's Woman if you can find a copy is an excellent historical but it is a rare find...

Old 03-17-2018, 09:38 AM

37,342 posts, read 60,105,612 times
There is also series set in Ireland about Vikings---by James Nelson--set in 850s AD
Finn Gall is the first novel--on Amazon Kindle Unlimited for free
Thorgrim Nightwolf is main character-a Viking sea raider and "shapeshifter" (werewolf sort of) who comes to Ireland for raiding and meets w/various adventures...
Has a strong female character who wants to be a warrior vs chatelaine-type
Interesting and not a romance by any means and while I found the first books entertaining there not lot of progress at times...convoluted and intertwined plots with copious battles

Old 03-20-2018, 01:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,326,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The first thing that popped into my mind is The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. It is very detailed and the writing/plot are wonderful.
This.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm a huge Edward Rutherfurd fan.
Have you read James Michener's books?
Tracy Chevalier books I've read and liked:
Girl with a Pearl Earring
Falling Angels
The Virgin Blue
Burning Bright
I have The Lady and the Unicorn which I should finish someday.

Pete Hamill
Forever

Susan Vreeland
Girl in Hyacinth Blue (story reminded of Girl with the Pearl Earring)
Someday I'll finish The Passion of Artemisia.

Geraldine Brooks
People of the Book
Year of Wonders - takes place during the plague in 17th century England. I haven't started this yet. So far, every book I've read by this author is very good.

Have any posters read books by Steven Saylor or Diane Setterfield? Saylor writes about ancient Rome.
Year of Wonders, yes! A really good read.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:43 PM

I have revisited Elizabeth Goudge recently. I used to read her, when I was much, much younger. I simply love her books which are old fashioned, but beautifully written. I recommend the The Dean's Watch.

Some her stuff has a modern setting, which would be mid 20th Century England. But The Dean's Watch is set in the 1800s. There is an entire chapter about the cathedral, an actual character in this book, which gives its history down through the centuries. Placed where it is, it is a little awkward, but Goudge's enthusiasm for it is contagious. And you see a lot of history in that chapter. The rest of book paints a picture of a realistic time in England and she gets it right in so many ways. She has incredible sympathy for her characters, rich and poor.

She has another title which I intend to treat myself to, which is The White Witch. I believe, if memory serves, this is set in the late Middle Ages.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:41 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,979,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have revisited Elizabeth Goudge recently. I used to read her, when I was much, much younger. I simply love her books which are old fashioned, but beautifully written. I recommend the The Dean's Watch.

Some her stuff has a modern setting, which would be mid 20th Century England. But The Dean's Watch is set in the 1800s. There is an entire chapter about the cathedral, an actual character in this book, which gives its history down through the centuries. Placed where it is, it is a little awkward, but Goudge's enthusiasm for it is contagious. And you see a lot of history in that chapter. The rest of book paints a picture of a realistic time in England and she gets it right in so many ways. She has incredible sympathy for her characters, rich and poor.

She has another title which I intend to treat myself to, which is The White Witch. I believe, if memory serves, this is set in the late Middle Ages.
I'll have to try The White Witch. I loved The Rosemary Tree by Goudge. It filled my heart!

Old 03-21-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
I'll have to try The White Witch. I loved The Rosemary Tree by Goudge. It filled my heart!
I read the Rosemary Tree a year or two ago for the first time. Her books are so filled with light.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 413 times
I know this is an old posting, but I love reading historical fiction and thought people might like the book my friend wrote:

For a short time you can grab a FREE copy of The Minstrel and the Mercenary over on Amazon. If you enjoy medieval historical fiction, consider grabbing it. If you happen to enjoy it, please consider writing a review! Thanks so much. I love books! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KKPJYN8

Old 11-17-2018, 02:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,979,930 times
I found this series that someone suggested to me, and wanted to include it in this thread.

The Oxford Medieval Mysteries series by Ann Swinfen

Relatively short books, each with a mystery being solved by a man who is a widower, father, scribe, former cleric, and bookseller in Oxford in the mid 1300s. The main character is pretty likable, they mysteries are satisfying, and there is lots of real-life detail about the time period.

I recently read the first 5 books, and just saw that there is a 6th book!

1. The Bookseller's Tale
2. The Novice's Tale
3. The Huntsman's Tale
4. The Merchant's Tale
5. The Troubadour's Tale
6. The Stonemason's Tale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books