Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:47 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

I'm at about 85% and still love it. Yes, she is tangential with descriptiveness, but when it's well written, I like that. I think I described it before as "I like to roll around naked in the author's words, to the point where I sometimes forget there's a plot I have to pick up and follow."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Finally finished!! All though I loved Theo, Hobie and Boris and forced myself to finish to find out the outcome, this book was way to wordy and cumbersome for my tastes.
Wordy and cumbersome aptly describes The Little Friend. Even with the excellent writing, I simply cannot stand so much sidetracking and diversion in a book and stopped about 40% into the book. I gave up even caring what happened to any of the characters. I really liked The Secret History and hope to start Goldfinchsoon.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I just finished The Goldfinch last night, and I'm kind of sad about it being over.

I was also glad that Tartt did actually end the book in a satisfying way, unlike The Little Friend.
This is not a spoiler; I just wanted to include that info for the people who might not want to invest the time in the book, only to be painfully unsatisfied at the end. This book was worth the journey.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just finished The Goldfinch last night, and I'm kind of sad about it being over.

I was also glad that Tartt did actually end the book in a satisfying way, unlike The Little Friend.
This is not a spoiler; I just wanted to include that info for the people who might not want to invest the time in the book, only to be painfully unsatisfied at the end. This book was worth the journey.
I thought so too.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
I'm about 2/3 of the way through this book. I can't put it down, although parts of it are very disturbing. Tartt is a beautiful writer, and I find her lengthy descriptions fascinating...she has an incredible command of the language and an amazing gift of observation. I almost don't want it to end.

(Personally I don't see the comparison to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander, which I admit I didn't enjoy at all...the plot itself was not interesting, whereas this is captivating.)

Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Donna Tartt just won the Pulitzer for Goldfinch.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I missed that - thanks for letting us know!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,647 times
I am just beginning the Goldfinch, I requested it at the library and didn't know the length of it so imagine my surprise when I went to the hold shelf and saw this book waiting for me. To top it off it is a large print book so is over 1000 pages. I have 3 weeks to finish it no renewals because it is on hold. So far it's great.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
She deserved it! Donna Tartt wins fiction Pulitzer for ‘Goldfinch’ - The Washington Post

Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm resurrecting this thread because I don't what to hijack "What Book Are You Reading?" and am picking up where that discussion of The Goldfinch left off.

I know The Goldfinch was very long, but don't remember it as being overly wordy or overly descriptive. I like the fact that Tartt is such a confident writer that she puts it all in there, trusting that the reader will be carried along.

Spoiler
It took a while for me to figure out what had happened at the museum, but once he got out with the picture and stashed it at his house, I stayed on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen to it and to Theo. And I thought it had plenty of twists and turns with Boris taking the picture and them going to find it. I was also anxious for Theo and his antique-faking ways and wanted that to resolve.

I loved the characters and the writing and how it all wrapped up at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books