Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times

Advertisements

Being a bit of a loner and introvert myself, I've been on a quest to find literature an solitude or social isolation. I've collected a bunch of nonfiction works, like psych-related books on people who prefer their own company over contact with others, and historical works on hermits, hermitages, monastic living and other types of recluses (like nuns who would have themselves bricked up in vaults to live alone for years to pray, with only a small hole for people to give them food and water, or hermits who would be paid a salary to basically live as lawn ornaments on great estates, when it was fashionable to have a scruffy-looking wise man wander around the ruins of your little buildings on your property, so people could gawk at him.)

Now I want to switch over to fiction and/or memoirs about people who have lived alone for long periods, be they monks in the middle-ages, hermits, castaways, or modern-day loners or people who have gone off to live in the wilderness. I would even read sci-fi if it's about a person living totally alone and having some meditative experiences.

Please no recommendations about Thoreau's Walden! My opinion is that he was a "loner wanna-be," and all through Walden he's interacting with people right & left, or writing about them when he wasn't.

I've read Robinson Crusoe of course, but he also wasn't alone as long as most people believe. Plus, isolation bothered him a great deal (when he finally met Friday he was practically ready to hump his leg like a dog, he was so happy.)

I'm more interested in stories of people who DON'T NEED people. People who could live on a deserted island and not feel the need to talk to a volley ball out of loneliness.

So far, the only memoir I've found with true isolation was Alone in the Wilderness by a guy named Dick Proennecke who went to live alone in Alaska in the 70s, building his own cabin and living off the land. He was not really a writer, but lived a true hermit's life, and I found his story compelling despite his not being a weaver of fine prose. (I first saw a PBS special on him and bought the DVD and book).

The story of Siddhartha might fit the criteria, but Herman Hesse's Siddartha still encountered many people in his spiritual journey. Not sure if the real Buddha/Siddhartha Guatama lived in more isolation or not.

Please share any books with fictional or real-life people who have chosen to live in total or near-total isolation. Or if they were in isolation NOT because of their own choice, they came to embrace it, and through living in solitude, came to profound insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,478,177 times
Try Fifty Days of Solitude by Doris Grumbach
In the early 1990s Grumbach stayed in her Maine cottage for 50 days without a phone or TV, didn't speak to anyone in the local town or see any of her friends or family. This book details her memoir of those days.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,342,891 times
I highly recommend The Wall by Marlen Haushofer. I think this might be exactly what you are looking for, TracySam.

It is exceptional. Check out the editorial reviews on amazon.com for the storyline.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,614,964 times
Colin Fletcher: Thousand Mile Summer

Fletcher describes and refects on his journey walking from one end to the other of California through generally unpopulated areas. While Fletcher didn't despise his fellows he certainly didn't need them as reading the original Complete Walker makes clear as well. There are some informative reviews.

Fletcher wrote of other solitary travels afoot; they're well worth reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Mile-...colin+fletcher

Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,260,835 times
I second the The Wall. It is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. Here's some comments from book club participants:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...ml#post3370161

Old 06-12-2013, 04:28 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,381,331 times
Journal of a Solitude and At Seventy - both by May Sarton.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,349,417 times
You might consider John O' Hara's Ourselves to Know. The title comes from a quite from Alexander Pope on introspection.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Solitude, like Amnesia, is one of those things that gets portrayed on fiction a great deal more than it occurs in real life.

Tim Winton's "Dirt Music" has a substantial solitude section, but not the whole book.

Yann Martel's "The Life of Pi" probably qualifies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books