Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,879,268 times

Advertisements

I have a voracious reader who is turning 10 on saturday. He started the Harry Potter series in second grade and was waiting with baited breath for the last one. Of course he finished it rather quickly and we are having a hard time finding him new books to read.

He has read Hugo Cabret. He loves Kate DiCamillo and has read all her books. He loves the bones series, and is up to date on them. He has read the Jack Sparrow series and is up to date on them. He used to love the Magical Treehouse, but feels that are a little young for him now.

Any suggestions out there? Right now he has gone back to re-reading the entire Harry Potter series, and is on book 2. We would love to get him into another author or another series. Even a one off book would be great.

I look forward to your suggestions,

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 02:07 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,190,688 times
There's the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" books which are good. I've read all 12. There is the Eragon series as well as the Inkheart series.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,192,173 times
Have you tried the Golden Compass by Philip Pullman? There are three books in that series. Personally I liked the first a lot, the other 2 were okay. The Golden Compass has been made into a movie.

Then there are the books by Madeline L'Engle. The first is A Wrinkle in TIme, my all time favorite kids book. There are three other books in the time series A Wind in the Door, Many Waters and A Swiftly Tilting Planet.
And her Polly Okeefe series which I haven't read but is supposed to link to the Time series in some way. Those books are The Arm of the Starfish, Dragons in the Waters, A House Like a Lotus and An Acceptable Time.

The is also the So You Want to be A Wizard series by Diane Duane. I read the first one and liked it. There are eight books in the series: So You Want to Be a Wizard · Deep Wizardry · High Wizardry · A Wizard Abroad · The Wizard's Dilemma · A Wizard Alone · Wizard's Holiday · Wizards at War · A Wizard of Mars.

All of those are pretty good books. Hope you find something your son likes!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,879,268 times
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. He has the first Eragon Series and got about 1/2 through and then struggled a little I think, so he put it down for now.

Funny you should bring up A Wrinkle in Time, his father bought that for him as he had loved it. He hasn't tried it, but maybe we should sit down and see if he will like that. i will definately look into the So You Want to be a Wizard series. That sounds very promising for him.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, and any other suggestions would be great.

Shelly

Old 10-12-2007, 06:47 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,204,269 times
Good choices are already mentioned.

Some of my favorites for that age:
Redwall
All of the E. Nesbit collection.
All of the Edward Eager series
For a bit older readers:
The Sterkarm Handshake

Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 AM

500 posts, read 1,070,780 times
About.com: http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/childrens/potterbib.html

Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,475,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
I have a voracious reader who is turning 10 on saturday. He started the Harry Potter series in second grade and was waiting with baited breath for the last one. Of course he finished it rather quickly and we are having a hard time finding him new books to read.

He has read Hugo Cabret. He loves Kate DiCamillo and has read all her books. He loves the bones series, and is up to date on them. He has read the Jack Sparrow series and is up to date on them. He used to love the Magical Treehouse, but feels that are a little young for him now.

Any suggestions out there? Right now he has gone back to re-reading the entire Harry Potter series, and is on book 2. We would love to get him into another author or another series. Even a one off book would be great.

I look forward to your suggestions,

Shelly
I suspect that there is one final Harry Potter in the works, so dont panick yet..

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,748,888 times
My 11-year-old loves the Warriors books by Erin Hunter. I believe the series is up to about 15 books now.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,235,407 times
My eleven year old loves the Artemis Fowl books and the Spiderwick Chronicles. My other son who is ten has just discovered the Goosebumps series. He who is afraid of his own shadow is ready all these ghost stories.Go figure.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,083,425 times
Quote:
He started the Harry Potter series in second grade and was waiting with baited breath for the last one. Of course he finished it rather quickly and we are having a hard time finding him new books to read.
Heh, well your sons not alone. I'm 24 and I too was desperately awaiting book 7.. lol. And I'm having a bit of difficulty finding new things to read as well. I do recommend A Series of Unfortunate Events. Nothing like the movie that was made, its a million times better. Also The Chronicles of Narnia. I've only read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, because I'm a bit lazy at the moment, but I did love it. I'm going to start on His Dark Materials, I actually just bought the book on ebay today, hopefully I'll get it by the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books