Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:23 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
!! And this was...where??
Lodestar has a time machine!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
!! And this was...where??
Only in my forgetful mind.

I meant to type Barnes and Noble. I think the same place used to be a Borders.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:08 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
There are probably two reasons why it's hard to find Ellison's stuff in print:

1.) He's a short story writer. Unless your name is Stephen King, short stories don't sell and therefore don't remain in print for long. You get published in a magazine, maybe win an award, maybe get reprinted in an anthology or two, then the story disappears. That is the fate of most short stories today. It's always been true to a certain degree, but the Internet has largely killed the short story, nailed the coffin shut, buried it, then danced on its grave.

2.) Mr. Ellison is a notorious pain in the ass to work with. Even people who want to publish his stuff don't have the heart to deal with the aggravation. He's like the Tasmanian Devil with a vast vocabulary and stellar wit. After a while, people get tired of having their hands bitten while trying to feed him.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Ah, for the days of specialized bookstores. I remember where there were bunches specializing in science fiction.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I mean, have you ever met a person in real life named "Harlan"?
I know this is a four-year-old question, but what the hey...

I have, I have! I have an old friend named Harlan. He lives in San Diego. On a boat. Or at least he lived on a boat 12 years ago when I knew him. We've lost touch, but he still has the name Harlan.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:41 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
LOL! Yeah, I met (more accurately was in the presence of) Harlan back in the early 1980s. He is not someone you forget having met.

A friend and I were recently bemoaning the dearth of Golden Age sci-fi, not only in stores but in the knowledge of anyone under 30.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:14 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I know this is a four-year-old question, but what the hey...

I have, I have! I have an old friend named Harlan. He lives in San Diego. On a boat. Or at least he lived on a boat 12 years ago when I knew him. We've lost touch, but he still has the name Harlan.
I've met Harlan a few times at socal conventions, both science fiction and comics. I remember a friend who is 5'4'' and Harlan standing back to back, Harlan swearing he was taller than that. But Barry was taller.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've met Harlan a few times at socal conventions, both science fiction and comics. I remember a friend who is 5'4'' and Harlan standing back to back, Harlan swearing he was taller than that. But Barry was taller.
That's not the San Diego Harlan that I know. "My" Harlan is tall and buff and gorgeous. Or at least he was tall and buff and gorgeous when I knew him. And lived on a boat.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
Anyone else out there frustrated over the near impossibility of finding books by Harlan Ellison on the average bookstore shelves these days?
There's a bunch of his books on Thriftbooks.com

Old 02-03-2015, 04:19 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
I have seen the movie A Boy and His Dog. Loved the movie. Ellison hated it.

I have read the anthology Again, Dangerous Visions. Liked it. Never did read the original Dangerous Visions.

I have read Ellison's screenplay of I, Robot. I found it interesting but not movie worthy. A little too cute for me. Unlike the Will Smith I, Robot movie, based upon Asimov's Ultimate Robot story, and a masterpiece, IMHO. I believe the Ellison screenplay was written prior to Asimov's Ultimate Robot story.

I have never cared much for Ellison. I guess he was a step or two outside my view of sci-fy at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books