Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,781,687 times

Advertisements

My 'to read' list I have typed them out in about 4-5 pages . Anyway here's 10 on deck:

Tree grows in brooklyn by betty smith

Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough

House of Spirits by Isabel Allende

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Passage to India by E.M. Forester

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Sneaky People by Thomas Berger

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,399,751 times
My "To Read" list is the Modern Library's Top 100 Modern Novels. It's been a project I've chipped away at over the past several years. Sometimes challenging, almost always rewarding.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 PM

37,852 posts, read 41,235,188 times
These are nonfiction. I own them but haven't read them yet.

1. Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone Eric Klinenberg

2. Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, death, and hope in a Mumbai undercity Katherine Boo

3. Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain David Eagleman

4. The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
Candice Millard

5. Pol Pot: Anatomy of a Nightmare Philip Short

6. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks Rebecca Skloot

And these are on my Amazon wish list which just means, I'll order them once they are all available rather than onesy-twosy ordering:

7. Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago (Illinois)
Eric Klinenberg

8. The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin Masha Gessen

9. The Final Leap: Suicide on the Golden Gate Bridge John Bateson

10. In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors Doug Stanton

Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 PM

4,505 posts, read 8,916,752 times
I want to read Bill O'Reillys KILLING LINCOLN next.

GL2

Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,211,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
6. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks Rebecca Skloot
I never thought I'd read that book -- I'm way too squeamish for medical stories, be they true or not -- but I pushed myself to read it. Fabulous book.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM

OK, I'll go again. Is it bad when you keep reviving your own threads? Ha!

I'm currently reading The Wild Girl by Jim Fergus.
Then I get to choose from the following:
The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
The End of Normal by Stephanie Madoff Mack
On Canaan's Side by Sebastian Barry
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje (but I have to actually get it first)
Unstrung Heroes by Franz Lidz
Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor by Rosina Harrison
Tiger, Tiger by Margaux Fragoso
The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch

I still haven't decided whether to buy (and read) or forego the following books. I suppose if they were available as Kindle selections from my library, it wouldn't be such a dilemma.

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (so many of the reviews are so bad)
Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi (I'm not sure if this is my type of book, even though the reviews are pretty positive)
What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank: Stories by Nathan Englander (I think I'm done with short stories... until Jhumpa Lahiri comes out with another volume, that is)
Smut: Stories by Alan Bennett (see commentary above, although this book is only two stories, which makes them more like novellas, right? right)

I am pleased to say that I removed The Night Circus from my list of holds at the library. I wasn't sure about wanting to read it and then, when netwit told me how there was a lot of fantasy to it, it made it easier to let it go.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,288,686 times
D&J - I picked up Arthur and George from the library. So far, so good.
Here's some thoughts on your selections:
Smut: Stories by Alan Bennett - I thoroughly enjoyed Smut especially the first novella (90 pages). Didn't realize Alan Bennett wrote History Boys.
The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers - The NYT has various actors reading selections from different books. Susan Sarandon has chosen this book. I just bookmarked it this morning.
Agree with netwit about Night Circus.
I read the original book on Bernie Madoff because I was interested in how he pulled off the scam.
The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje - Yes, Yes, Yes
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchel - I bought this used, but still haven't read.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
D&J - I picked up Arthur and George from the library. So far, so good.
Here's some thoughts on your selections:
Smut: Stories by Alan Bennett - I thoroughly enjoyed Smut especially the first novella (90 pages). Didn't realize Alan Bennett wrote History Boys.
The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers - The NYT has various actors reading selections from different books. Susan Sarandon has chosen this book. I just bookmarked it this morning.
Agree with netwit about Night Circus.
I read the original book on Bernie Madoff because I was interested in how he pulled off the scam.
The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje - Yes, Yes, Yes
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchel - I bought this used, but still haven't read.
Thank you!!! We have SUCH similar reading taste. We should start our own library... and just lend to each other.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,433,260 times
Go with In Cold Blood, Dawn.

The subject matter is horrible but the book is so well written and so well reasearched that I list it as one of my favorites. Capote had such a way with words. We lived in Kansas when this happened to the Clutter family. Everyone was scared to death.

I was very pleasantly surprised by The End of Normal. It is an excellent book and the story certainly is interesting.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Go with In Cold Blood, Dawn.

The subject matter is horrible but the book is so well written and so well reasearched that I list it as one of my favorites. Capote had such a way with words. We lived in Kansas when this happened to the Clutter family. Everyone was scared to death.

I was very pleasantly surprised by The End of Normal. It is an excellent book and the story certainly is interesting.
I have In Cold Blood on hold for me, in Kindle version, at the library. So I guess I misspoke -- it's up to the library when I get to read that. But I've heard how well-written it was and that's why I'm prepared to delve into this horrible story. You lived in Kansas at the time? Yikes!

And while I had The End of Normal on my to read list -- albeit in pencil -- you're the one who made me put it on the list in pen. But, again, it's up to the library when I get to read it.

But there aren't many people before me on either list, so it won't be too long now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books