Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,085,847 times

Advertisements

^^ I just saw Insomniac City the other day and added it to MY "to read" list too. Great minds... (I mean yours and mine, but Oliver Sacks had one too. )

I remember trying to read The Light of the World but I couldn't get through it. I don't remember WHY, though. It could have been a good book at a bad time but, now looking at the synopsis, I wonder if it wasn't too flowery, too poetic for me. I hope that you have better luck with it. At least it's short.

It's interesting: On looking at my own "to read" list, I see that so many are memoirs. I'm happy about that but it seems cyclical, like I get on a memoir jaunt and then fall off that wagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,539,002 times
The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage

Lovelace– The Origin – 2D Goggles

Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,448,407 times
I just read "The Hate U Give" and it was the best book I've read in a long, long time.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,430,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I remember trying to read The Light of the World but I couldn't get through it. I don't remember WHY, though. It could have been a good book at a bad time but, now looking at the synopsis, I wonder if it wasn't too flowery, too poetic for me. I hope that you have better luck with it. At least it's short.

It's interesting: On looking at my own "to read" list, I see that so many are memoirs. I'm happy about that but it seems cyclical, like I get on a memoir jaunt and then fall off that wagon.
Hmm...I read some of the bad reviews. The one thing in common is the relationship seemed too good to be true/too perfect. And another wrote "The book read like a series of missives and not like a unified narration."

Ha....I do the same. I read one kind of book or one topic and the next books are very similar...or at least the ones I order from my library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage

Lovelace– The Origin – 2D Goggles

One day I will try a graphic novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I just read "The Hate U Give" and it was the best book I've read in a long, long time.
Thanks...added to my list.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Ha....I do the same. I read one kind of book or one topic and the next books are very similar...or at least the ones I order from my library.

I know what this "one kind of book" thing is for me: I will only read fiction if it's a story that *could* happen in real life. If it's anything outrageous or something that I just cannot relate to, I'm not interested. It doesn't have to be something that can happen in *my* life or in the life of someone who I know, but it can't be so out there that I can't wrap my head around it. For example, I can read about an alcoholic or someone who is abused and, although I have no first- or second-hand experience with either of those two things, I can understand it. But when fiction involves "coming home and finding my spouse lying in a pool of blood" or dystopia or something like that, it's not for me. For me, a "quiet" story is always the better one.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:29 PM

Bing, bing, bing! It's time to play another round of... WHAT'S ON YOUR "TO READ" LIST!

Our first contestant (me!), right out of the insane asylum (I think I'm crazy for thinking that I'll ever keep up), will provide (random number!) 47 books that she has on her Kindle or is on a list to get, in no order whatsoever:

1. Edgar and Lucy (544 pages)
2. Goodbye, Vitamin
3. Homegoing
4. We Are Never Meeting in Real Life (essays)
5. A House Among the Trees
6. The Sisters Chase
7. Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?
8. What We Lose
9. The Reason You’re Alive
10. And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer
11. Standard Deviation
12. Ghachar Ghochar
13. All the Rivers
14. Life Interrupted (Spalding Gray)
15. The Journals of Spalding Gray
16. The Portrait (Antoine Laurain)
17. At Home in the World (Joyce Maynard memoir)
18. The Truth About Luck (memoir)
19. Love & War (memoir; James Carville/Mary Matalin)
20. The Party (Robyn Harding)
21. See What I Have Done (release date August 1, 2017)
22. The Party (Elizabeth Day) (release date August 15, 2017)
23. The Heart’s Invisible Furies (John Boyne) (release date August 22, 2017)
24. The Burning Girl (Claire Messud) (release date August 29, 2017)
25. Genuine Fraud (release date Sept 5, 2017)
26. Little Fires Everywhere (release date September 12, 2017)
27. The Best of Us (Joyce Maynard memoir) (release date September 5, 2017)
28. Scissors, Paper, Stone
29. The Idiot
30. The Hearts of Men (Nickolas Butler)
31. Dark Matter
32. Home Fires
33. The Heirs
34. One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter (essays)
35. A House in the Sky (memoir)
36. The Weight of Ink (576 pages)
37. Truly Madly Guilty
38. The Husband’s Secret
39. The Light We Lost
40. Mortality (memoir; 119 pages)
41. Christodora (496 pages)
42. City on Fire (944 pages) – Marlow
43. The Hate U Give (YA)
44. A Book of American Martyrs (752 pages)
45. The Leavers
46. If We Were Villains (not loving the pretentiousness of the dialogue or the Shakespeare, but may try again)
47. The Divorce Papers (496 pages and told in emails, letters, notes, etc. so may not want to read)

What's on yours?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Dawn...is that all? Looks like my list.

I will check your list soon but from what I have read I would move Christodora to the top of your list and then Homegoing. I loved Dark Matter but is that your kind of book?

Is that all? Nope. I just copied a bunch from my list and happened to stop at 47. Ha! Sigh...

They're not in any order, either. Even if I move something to the top, it doesn't mean that I'll read it sooner. When I start a new book, I choose one based on what I feel like reading (light vs. heavy), number of pages (shorter is better for me usually), etc. I'm finicky.

You know me so well -- I don't think that Dark Matter is my type of book either. People were talking about it and loving it, so I added it to my "to read" list. Will I ever read it? The jury's out on that.

Of your list, and if top means sooner, please move Commonwealth up. I loved it.

Links are better, Lisa!! My way is forcing copy/paste into Amazon or Goodreads if you're curious. Yours is just click, click, click. Yours is better!!!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,430,297 times
Thanks Dawn. I got through your list and now have even more books to read. On a good note you reminded me of a few that were already on my list so I ordered them My library hates me, lol.

There must be a way to cull my "to read list". I have 3400 books on it

On top of that I just picked up the Battle of the Books for North Carolina. There are always a few good ones on there.
http://www.ncslma.org/assets/docs/MS...02017-2018.pdf

Happy reading

Old 08-02-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks Dawn. I got through your list and now have even more books to read. On a good note you reminded me of a few that were already on my list so I ordered them My library hates me, lol.

There must be a way to cull my "to read list". I have 3400 books on it

On top of that I just picked up the Battle of the Books for North Carolina. There are always a few good ones on there.
http://www.ncslma.org/assets/docs/MS...02017-2018.pdf

Happy reading
Wait. What? You have 3400 books on your "to read" list?!?

*picks self up off the floor*

So THIS is why you read while on the treadmill. You HAVE to read EVERY waking minute. Which makes me think: you shouldn't ever sleep. You have no TIME to sleep.

On the plus side, you read more books per week than most people. Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books