Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times

Advertisements

Done a search through the forum and have only picked up bits and pieces about recycling--mostly having to do with if you're liberal or not. Whatever. Personally, I recycle more for fiscal responsibility then environmental.
Can someone describe to me how the recycling is done in your area? For example, here in Everett WA I have regular garbage, a blue recycle bin that everything(paper, plastic, metal, glass...) goes into, and a green bin for garden waste and anything compostible like table scraps and dirty cardboard. I'm probably more then a little spoiled.
There was mention on one of the threads that you had to separate(we did until a few years ago). Also, some things had to be taken directly to the recycling center and that no one was taking glass anymore. Really? I did find a website for a place by the airport(Diamond?), but didn't get into the details.
Also, who provides the garbage service there? We have Waste Management, which is a huge company. On average, what do you pay for your garbage pickup? Thanks!!! :~) D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,405 times
No worries on the separating any more both SSC (Meridian) and Allied Waste (Boise) have gone to the 95 gallon non-sorting rolling bins with lids (for both garbage and recycling). Not sure on the specialty stuff since I haven't really researched it, but for the regular stuff (ie plastics, glass, cardboard, ect.) you don't have to sort anything, you just dump it into the bin. Both allied waste and ssc run about $15 a month. SSC currently doesn't require you to have the 95 gallon rolling garbage can but you can only use a 32 gallon standard size garbage can if you go that route and to my knowledge they will probably be switching over to the 95 gallon rolling cans sometime next year. Allied Waste has already made the switch over and will require you to get both your recycling and garbage cans for them. For more info you can call ssc at 1-208-888-3999 and allied at 1-208-327-8015

Old 11-12-2009, 04:50 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Boise does NOT pick up glass for recycling. You can take it to a recycling center. All paper, plastic (except filmy plastic) metal, and cardboard does not have to be sorted.

No yard waste is picked up for compost EXCEPT for about 6 weeks in the fall they will pick up leaves in special compostible bags, and after Christmas they pick up Christmas trees. All other times of the year, you may put your yard waste into your trash bin but it just gets buried at the landfill.

You may buy extra stickers for them to pick up extra containers of trash (say in the summer you don't want to compost your lawn clippings) but they will not pick up anything in plastic bags so you would have to put it in a reusable container of some sort.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the replies! Bummer about no green bins. We have pick up every week starting late spring and into fall. Then it comes once a month when it's cooler. The garbage company composts it all and sells it. It's a win win. :~)

Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Also, I'm not sure about Meridian, but in Boise, the recycling is an "every other week" service. You have a schedule and you have to put them out on the right weeks or they won't pick up. And Lilly was right, you can't put glass in the bins, but as far as I know, all the local recyclers will take glass if you take it in. My husband takes ours to the place on the Glenwood hill, whatever it's called, about 3 times a year. Pretty much everything else recycleable (besides plastic grocery type bags, which can be recycled at most grocery stores) can be just mixed up in the blue bin.

As for cost, I think mine is about $25 every 2 months, which is pretty cheap. Boise gives a discount for recycling.

In Boise you can get 3 different sizes of both garbage cans and recycle bins. I didn't have room in my garage for the 95 gallon size, so I went with the medium size (around 60 gallons) because it is a smaller footprint. The smallest size (around 30 gallons) is the same footprint as the medium, but shorter.

Never heard of the green bins, but it sounds like a great program.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM

Our recycling is every other week, too. That's just about right. After the packaging, junk mail, milk jugs, and all the paper my kids bring home it's pretty much full to the rim. Without recycling, I'd be paying for another regular size can of garbage every week. Why wouldn't I recycle?
I just think it's funny when I've read people prefacing their lifestyles by saying, "I recycle" like it's the same thing as saying, "I'm a liberal." Is that an Idaho thing? I've just never heard anyone say it like that on the Washington forums. :~) D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area