Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 PM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times

Advertisements

You can live and let live in Boise as long as you don't have California plates or an Obama sticker on your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
You can live and let live in Boise as long as you don't have California plates or an Obama sticker on your car.

Works for me

I banned political stickers from my vehicles a long time ago.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 PM

14 posts, read 19,585 times
That's silly - we had one of the largest Obama gatherings (and Democratic caucuses) in the US.

Obama is pretty huge in Boise.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley81 View Post
That's silly - we had one of the largest Obama gatherings (and Democratic caucuses) in the US.

Obama is pretty huge in Boise.
You know what, though you're right about Boise having been reported as having one of the largest Obama gatherings in the country........personally I don't think it has much merit. I think you had a lot of people that were curious about what the guy had to say. There was someone that was taking a poll outside of the event asking individuals waiting to get in what Obama stood for, and not one person could answer any of the questions asked about this candidate. IMO, I think you had a lot of star struck people that were just thrilled to have someone come to Boise and pay attention to our community. I'd go as far as saying some probably hoped for an "Oprah" appearance maybe?

The other thing that most might not know, the number of attendees they reported were somewhat inflated. I believe the building where the event took place can only hold 12,000 people and yes there were many that couldn't even get in.....but the reports I had heard on stations like MSNBC were saying that 18,000 had attended which just wasn't true.

So I dunno about Obama being huge in Boise.........just my opinion though.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 PM

14 posts, read 19,585 times
Yes and no. Some of the numbers were inflated, but then again many of us didn't make the trip down there knowing full well it was at capacity. I still think Obama has an extremely large following in Boise, and should turn this...

Quote:
2004 Presidential Election results in Ada County Idaho:
Bush/Cheney (Republican): 61.1%
Kerry/Edwards (Democratic): 37.8%
...closer to 50/50.

McCain still takes Ada County, but it's really close.

Also, from Wiki:

Quote:
The Idaho caucus was Obama's most lop-sided victory in any state during the 2008 presidential primary season.
Idaho Democratic caucuses, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley81 View Post
Yes and no. Some of the numbers were inflated, but then again many of us didn't make the trip down there knowing full well it was at capacity. I still think Obama has an extremely large following in Boise, and should turn this...

...closer to 50/50.

McCain still takes Ada County, but it's really close.

Also, from Wiki:

Idaho Democratic caucuses, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't want to take away from the original posters question, and my intention is not to turn this into a political debate, nor do I feel that's your intention (just want to be clear), but I'll just say-interesting to compare the same Wikipedia page for the Repulicans- big difference in the numbers.

Regardless of who we're all affiliated with, I don't think it matters which city you live in Boise or Meridian, people as a general rule here aren't going to shun you based on your political affiliation; and if you're considering the area and it's something you're concerned with, the best thing to do is not openly discuss it, and then you don't have to worry about it.

Idaho Republican primary, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times
Jeez, take a joke people. But honestly, once you get out of the North End and the Depot Bench neighborhood, Boise is a fairly conservative city.

As far as the Obama rally goes, I know a bunch of people that went who are conservative Republicans who were just curious to see what a presidential rally is like. They said it was fun even though they would never vote for the guy.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:56 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
I don't want to start or contribute to a debate, but I have noticed the past few years that Boise and the Treasure Valley are slowly becoming more anti republican and pro democrat, and it is more obvious in the actual city of Boise and not as obvious in the burbs.
I think many people here want a change and the dominant republican state government is not very popular here anymore. All they do is argue each legislative session and nothing gets accomplished. The governor probably will not win again when the next vote comes around. He is almost a joke in the Boise area.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:18 AM

10 posts, read 43,422 times
I know we're getting off track here, but I don't quite "get" why it matters so much whether a neighbor/friend is democrat or republican. Not to be cliche here, but shouldn't it be enough that people take an interest in our country? My mother and I have complete opposite opinions on almost every single political subject, all the way down to the abortion option! We agree to disagree and keep going, and we still remind each other to vote!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:10 AM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifr1966 View Post
I know we're getting off track here, but I don't quite "get" why it matters so much whether a neighbor/friend is democrat or republican. Not to be cliche here, but shouldn't it be enough that people take an interest in our country? My mother and I have complete opposite opinions on almost every single political subject, all the way down to the abortion option! We agree to disagree and keep going, and we still remind each other to vote!
I personally have relatives and good friends that believe the complete opposite as I do and yes we have great relationships.
But for me when it comes down to choosing an area to live in if the government & residents are mostly liberal or conservative it makes a difference in how the town/city is ran.
My example would be compair Sacramento, CA vs. San Francisco.

But I didn't not start this thread to be a political debate so can we get back to Boise/Meridian.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area