Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 37,069 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're moving to Boise in the next week (yippee) and would like to bundle cable tv, telephone, and Internet if possible. We found some deals with Cable One but I'm a little hesitant with this 1GB maximum download.

Can someone give me an example of what 1GB of downloading might look like. My wife and I browse the Internet to check email, check FaceBook, and watch some shows on hulu.com or some of the reruns from the network websites (on an irregular basis). We aren't gamers or anything like that.

Also, is that 1GB per day, month, or what?

We currently have a Qwest modem and a Motorola cable modem so that's not a problem.

Thanks,
jj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:13 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,525,959 times
I just looked up my bandwidth usage, and husband and I have been using between 1 GB and 3GB most days (with some days as low as 100 MB, but not many), but we spend a lot of time online. We do online gaming (some days more than others) and husband watches a lot of streaming video.

However, that includes weekdays, when we both spend 8-10 hours at work, so that is evenings only. If you have one person watching streaming video and another browsing the internet, apparantly, you can rack up 1-2 GB in only a few hours.

Just to let you know, I looked back 3 months, which was before we got Netflix streaming video set up, and we were running between 100 MB and 1.5 GB, so the streaming video is a lot of our current usage.

For comparison's sake, my office has 5 computers running 24 hours a day, connected to the internet, with 2 computers getting 8 solid hours of usage, much of which is on the internet checking email and visiting various websites. Our office usage rarely goes above 200 MB per day, and we only use about 2 GB per month.

How many hours a week would you estimate you spend on the internet at home (both of you combined)?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM

8 posts, read 37,069 times
Is the 1 GB a per day cap then?

I would say combined 2-3 hours a day, usually checking email, yahoo news, Facebook, watching some streaming videos.....you made a good point with Netflix, if we get it again, we may start watching more video then...

So from what I take, if you go over the 1 GB, Cable One slows you down (if so, per day, or till the end of the month?), and then you have to pay for another 1 GB increment of $10?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,307 times
I would bundle direct tv and qwest, thats what i do and i haven't looked back. plus its cheaper than what my cable one bundle would have been

Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbarnone View Post
Is the 1 GB a per day cap then?

I would say combined 2-3 hours a day, usually checking email, yahoo news, Facebook, watching some streaming videos.....you made a good point with Netflix, if we get it again, we may start watching more video then...

So from what I take, if you go over the 1 GB, Cable One slows you down (if so, per day, or till the end of the month?), and then you have to pay for another 1 GB increment of $10?
I'd call them up and ask, because I'm not exactly sure. I know on my plan, which is the 5 MB plan, apparantly if I go over 3 GB per day, they slow me down (I've never noticed this, but I only go over 3 GB in a day about 3 or 4 times a month) for the rest of that day, and if I go over 3 GB per day more than 50% of the billing cycle, they "fine" me (which I haven't done, so I don't know how much). However, on the Economy plan, it doesn't say anything about "excessive use", so I don't know what the rules are.

enigmadsm's suggestion is another possibility. We used to have Qwest service and it was great at our old apartment, but when we moved to our new house, we were further from the nearest "relay box" or whatever they call it, and our connection was terrible, so we switched. Unfortunately, there is no real way to predict that, other than maybe to ask your future neighbors what their experience has been.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 AM

424 posts, read 1,381,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbarnone View Post
Hi all,

We're moving to Boise in the next week (yippee) and would like to bundle cable tv, telephone, and Internet if possible. We found some deals with Cable One but I'm a little hesitant with this 1GB maximum download.

Can someone give me an example of what 1GB of downloading might look like. My wife and I browse the Internet to check email, check FaceBook, and watch some shows on hulu.com or some of the reruns from the network websites (on an irregular basis). We aren't gamers or anything like that.

Also, is that 1GB per day, month, or what?

We currently have a Qwest modem and a Motorola cable modem so that's not a problem.

Thanks,
jj
The 1GB limit is per day, however that is only if you are going with the slowest 1.5Mbps connection (as mentioned by Lacerta the 5Mbps connection is 3GB per day). The big thing for you is that you watch some stuff from hulu or network sites. In my opinion a 1.5Mbps connection is too slow for that with any network. My sister and brother in law have a 1.5Mbps connection with Qwest and anything more than watching a 5 minute video clip gets ridiculous. You will want a bare minimum of a 5Mbps connection. I personally found Cable One's limits ridiculous but I use Hulu, Netflix Instant Watch and regular Downloading/Uploading pretty frequently. So I went with Qwest's 12Mbps connection. The limit via Cable One is during the daytime (between 12PM and Midnight) and they cut the connection speed in half once you exceed that threshold. With Qwest I never get cut for more than 15% of my connection speed regardless of the time of day and other than their excessive use policy (ie 1000 30 minute shows per month) there is no download/stream cap regardless of the time of day. The only downside is as mentioned above it depends on where you are located as to what kind of connection speeds you will experience. Qwest is dependent on how far you are from the hub, but cable is dependent on how many people are online in your area. I have had Qwest's 12Mbps connection at 2 different addresses (one in Boise and one in Meridian) and have had great success at both locations. That being said however, I don't have a landline which can make a HUGE difference in your connection speed (even though they claim it won't).

Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 7,333 times
Hello,
Now it's 2011 with cableone 50 mb/s download speed and a 100 GB Cap. i have to chime in on this subject. I've been with cableone for over 10 years and very little problems. No Cap was imposed before on my plan until the 50 MB/S came out. Guess what, 100 GB will not be adequate unless you never use netflix steaming or, have more that 3 people in using the connection.
The whole thing is a huge mess. While I had 10 mb/s no cap before I'm told, "you can't return to that plan, we don't offer it" Now 5 MB/S uncapped is the only alternative.
This stinks as once upgraded it's very difficult to downgrade. And I have the highest Cap available.
I work from home on the internet, however this does not use the majority of bandwidth. It's MULTIMEDIA and one of the residents is streaming via another netfilx account.
With checking the "meter" everyday I have become a slave of the "CAP". Why I can't just pay a fixed fee for no cap or, have a reasonable cap as other providers of 250GB is beyond me.
Times have changed as have bandwidth demands.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barton View Post
Hello,
Now it's 2011 with cableone 50 mb/s download speed and a 100 GB Cap. i have to chime in on this subject. I've been with cableone for over 10 years and very little problems. No Cap was imposed before on my plan until the 50 MB/S came out. Guess what, 100 GB will not be adequate unless you never use netflix steaming or, have more that 3 people in using the connection.
The whole thing is a huge mess. While I had 10 mb/s no cap before I'm told, "you can't return to that plan, we don't offer it" Now 5 MB/S uncapped is the only alternative.
This stinks as once upgraded it's very difficult to downgrade. And I have the highest Cap available.
I work from home on the internet, however this does not use the majority of bandwidth. It's MULTIMEDIA and one of the residents is streaming via another netfilx account.
With checking the "meter" everyday I have become a slave of the "CAP". Why I can't just pay a fixed fee for no cap or, have a reasonable cap as other providers of 250GB is beyond me.
Times have changed as have bandwidth demands.
What are you streaming on Netflix that you go over 100 GB per day? I've switched since my last post and currently have the Qwest package, so I don't know how it compares to CableOne these days. But at my last post, we were streaming Netflix like 10 hours a day (had just gotten it and were catching up on a bunch of TV shows we hadn't watched when they were on) and only going to around 3-4 GB. I can't imagine hitting 100GB in a day.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:55 AM

424 posts, read 1,381,422 times
Steer clear of Cable One at all costs, they have instituted an additional charge (kind of like going over your minutes on your cell phone) if you go over the cap. I read the fine print last week and they are extortionists of the worst kind. You can also only get the 50Mb connection with an expensive bundle. I have Century Link and they have no formal cap, nor do they cut your bandwidth if you D/L a certain amount in a given time frame. I have the 20Mb connection and I get much more out of it for less money than anyone with that 50Mb pricey bundle with cable one could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area