Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,152,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Remind me never to own a BMW...the last set of brakes I had done on the old Jeep was about $650 for pads, rotors and drums! I figure it'll run me around 700+ for the new Jeep whenever that time comes, but jeez, $860 for just the REAR?!

This reminds me why i work on my own cars.

Zimmerman rotors $74 a piece
Pagid brake pads $65 a set

Find it here at Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
I had a BMW with 140,000 miles on it. Luckily I only had to have the brake pads replaced one time when I owned that car. I didn't go the dealer route. A local shop replaced the rear ones for about $250.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,565,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
This reminds me why i work on my own cars.

Zimmerman rotors $74 a piece
Pagid brake pads $65 a set

Find it here at Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips
+1

Even minimal DIY skills can save a ton of money when it comes to out if warranty european cars. The parts are not that expensive online. Its the labor that will cause the average owner to start shopping for something with a warranty.

I've been keeping an eye on used X3 ever since they broke under te $10k barrier. Manuals are quite common around here (strangely) just wish they had made it without AWD. Certainly a lot easier to find than a 3 or 5 series wagon with a stick.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:59 AM

102 posts, read 232,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutrach View Post
Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of home much it would cost to get the rear brake pads and rotars replaced for my BMW X3? I just got a quote of $860 from the dealership, which sounds overpriced to me. Thanks!
This is the price of the toy .

One day you'll want to sell that BMW and if you have the full service history paperwork done by an authorized dealership you might just recover some of that 860 . You may even price a few BMW dealerships to compare. Keep in mind that service at a high end dealership doesn't just pay their rent, insurance , and employees .. it also pays for the state of the art equipment that they have .

Of course one can find a reputable independent BMW mechanic and retain all the paperwork (for resale history) but the work needs to be accurately performed .

As for DIY -- Most DIY folks don't even consider writing a post to ask the price . They just fix the car themselves .

Old 03-31-2013, 02:57 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
1) http://www.getbmwparts.com (one of the best places online for cheap BMW parts) - they are Tischer BMW - seems offline at the moment though

then...

2) BMW Repair Shops - Find a BMW Mechanic | BimmerShops.com (best way to find a reputable independent shop) - don't ever go back to the dealer for routine / common jobs.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:49 PM

17,369 posts, read 22,123,192 times
Bring
Money
With ya!

or Break My Wallet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI