Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 AM

33 posts, read 100,197 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I had to postpone my move to Birmingham but I am still coming out there. (Look out!) I will be there in a couple weeks to look at some places and get a feel for the driving in different parts of town during different times.

Any suggestions on specific apartment complexes to check out? Not much in the way of income when I first arrive (probably be starting around $33K/entry level) although that will change.

Price range around $7-800/a month for 2 bedroom if possible. Need good junior/senior high schools like Oak Mountain/Spain (sp?). Would prefer Shelby Co.

Not too fussy about attractions or places of interest. I'll go find the things that interest me once I'm settled and can explore and as a single mother to a junior high schooler I don't do the nightlife.

Would like to be within reasonable distance of necessities like grocery, post-office, gas, etc.

I can't say where I'll be working yet, so I can't really pin it down a location but I would like use Inverness/Greystone as the focal point. I know that's pricey for my starting income (WOW, it's weird to be starting again in my profession!) but would like to use that as the starting point to radiate out from for a place to live with an eye toward downtown being my place of employment if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on places to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgcali View Post
Hello all,

I had to postpone my move to Birmingham but I am still coming out there. (Look out!) I will be there in a couple weeks to look at some places and get a feel for the driving in different parts of town during different times.

Any suggestions on specific apartment complexes to check out? Not much in the way of income when I first arrive (probably be starting around $33K/entry level) although that will change.

Price range around $7-800/a month for 2 bedroom if possible. Need good junior/senior high schools like Oak Mountain/Spain (sp?). Would prefer Shelby Co.

Not too fussy about attractions or places of interest. I'll go find the things that interest me once I'm settled and can explore and as a single mother to a junior high schooler I don't do the nightlife.

Would like to be within reasonable distance of necessities like grocery, post-office, gas, etc.

I can't say where I'll be working yet, so I can't really pin it down a location but I would like use Inverness/Greystone as the focal point. I know that's pricey for my starting income (WOW, it's weird to be starting again in my profession!) but would like to use that as the starting point to radiate out from for a place to live with an eye toward downtown being my place of employment if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on places to check out.
Oak Mountain and Spain Park are both superior schools. There are a host of amenities in that area.

As far as the job hunt goes, remind us what you do, and we'll suggest some stuff.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the response cpg. I am looking right now for suggestions on apartments to check out while I'm there. I work Clerical Support for Law Enforcement. I'm keeping tabs on the job market mainly through usajobs.gov. I just need to be patient and wait for the economy to kick back in.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response cpg. I am looking right now for suggestions on apartments to check out while I'm there. I work Clerical Support for Law Enforcement. I'm keeping tabs on the job market mainly through usajobs.gov. I just need to be patient and wait for the economy to kick back in.
Try these guys...they do the hiring for everybody in Jefferson County:

The Personnel Board of Jefferson County

Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM

Oh yeah, I've been there too. Thanks for the link! Jefferson Co. doesn't seem to be in such great shape right now though does it?

Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I've been there too. Thanks for the link! Jefferson Co. doesn't seem to be in such great shape right now though does it?
No, but law enforcement is one area where they're not cutting to the bone.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No, but law enforcement is one area where they're not cutting to the bone.

They are here! We've had two rounds of layoffs in Probation and more are coming....scary stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area