Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:04 AM

23 posts, read 109,539 times

Advertisements

Some of you may remember me visiting here a while back, or maybe not

Anyway, at that time I was in the very early stages of exploring a relocation from the Chicago suburbs to the Birmingham area to fill a job vacancy at my company's corporate office.

To make a long story short, I finally interviewed for the position last Tuesday & I believe an offer may be forthcoming so this thing is getting more serious.

I have done a bit of research on the different areas surrounding Birmingham & I believe that we are probably best suited to housing in Trussville, Chelsea, Helena or Pelham. Last time I posted, some of you asked for my (possible) future work address, so here it is again: 1200 Urban Center Dr, Birmingham.

I also would be travelling a good bit so convenience to the B'ham airport is also a plus.

As for personal notes, I have 2 children, ages 9 & 6, so good schools are definitely a high priority.

The crime rate looks to be a good bit higher in Trussville as well, should that be a concern?

We are looking for 3-4 bedrooms, 2+ baths, a 2-car garage & a larger lot (most lots here are roughly 70-75 x 85-90ish). We would like to stay below $230k or so.

Also, what are the property tax & cost of living differences between Jefferson & Shelby Counties?

Thanks!
- Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
As far as property taxes, utilities are concerned - Jefferson County is higher. You may also want to consider the current issues with the Jefferson County Sewer. I am actually not up on it - is the county going bankrupt or is it still pending. YHou can get details on each conty's web site.

I am not a big fan of Helena. Small rural town which exploded over night by contractors putting subdivision like rabbit warrens up. Traffic is rather unpleasant on two-lane county roads during rush hours. Also - your realtor will forget the fact that there is active rail traffic:>)

Check your driving pattern. Make sure you have an alternate route available and drive both during your normal commute times.

We are in Shelby County, small older subdivision, gated and two ways in/out. 3br/2baths are within your range, pretty diverse families, good public schools. I do not want to advertise - send PM if you want more info.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Approximately how much higher could I expect the property taxes in Jefferson Co. to be compared to Shelby Co.? We're paying through the nose in prop. taxes here in Northern IL, so the cheaper the better as far as we're concerned.

Also, Threestep, by active rail traffic, I am assuming that you mean that they have put a lot of housing in areas that are close to frequently-tavelled rail lines, correct?

- Steve

Old 03-11-2008, 02:42 PM

136 posts, read 596,119 times
Hey Steve,

There are 5 houses in Vestavia that matches what you are looking for. They are older houses but the schools are excellent.

I would also search in the north shelby county area/Hoover search on a local real estate website. You will get some houses with an Oak Mountain school district.

You will be able to get new construction in Chelsea in your price range. You will have to deal with Hwy 280 traffic.

I grew up in Pelham and you can also get new construction in that price range. Helena does not have direct interstate access. You will occur traffic because it is an overgrown city.

Trussville does have nice areas and will probably be the most convenient of all. There are some nice houses in your price range and I would continue to give it a look!

The property taxes will be around the same until you get around Vestavia and Mountain Brook.

You may pm me for more info as well

Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73mountaineer View Post
Approximately how much higher could I expect the property taxes in Jefferson Co. to be compared to Shelby Co.? We're paying through the nose in prop. taxes here in Northern IL, so the cheaper the better as far as we're concerned.

Also, Threestep, by active rail traffic, I am assuming that you mean that they have put a lot of housing in areas that are close to frequently-tavelled rail lines, correct?

- Steve
Yeep - an extra bonus for rail road collectors and a traffic jam for the rest of us.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 39,454 times
Your working at Liberty park, have elementary aged school children and need convenience to the airport. Chelsea is out. Traffic is HORRIFIC on 280 especially coming from that far down. Helena, already mentioned why you dont want to move there with your criteria. Trussville is the better of your 3 choices given your needs but I would look seriously at whatever is available in Vestavia, Homewood and in the Oak Mountain School District (areas just south of Highway 459 between I-65 and 280 and north of highway 119). Possibly some areas of Hoover too.

The best 3 school systems and cities in the Birmingham area with above average amenities are Mountain Brook, Vestavia and Homewood. All 3 of those cities have top notch schools and are very close to your work and the airport. Only Vestavia and Homewood have houses you describe in your price range. Hoover is also a choice but you must be selective on areas since its such a vast city. Schools are good there too.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:25 PM

You guys (and gals) are the best, keep it comin'!

Maybe someone here can answer a seemingly simple question for me: Why in the heck don't real estate listings down there list items such as room dimensions or square footage for the homes?

- Steve

Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73mountaineer View Post
You guys (and gals) are the best, keep it comin'!

Maybe someone here can answer a seemingly simple question for me: Why in the heck don't real estate listings down there list items such as room dimensions or square footage for the homes?

- Steve
Why in the heck? Down here "why" will suffice:>)
You will find listings giving approximate square footage especially on new construction. Do I know the size of my place? Just right! An answer I got was that it can turn into a liability issue.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 AM

7 posts, read 39,454 times
Actually, finding listings giving sq footage is a rarity except on new homes. The odd listing will show sq ft but it will usually be qualified with an "approx" or "county records show". Reason, legal issues. Back in the early 80's the local Realtors group was sued over incorrect sq footage measurement. How one measures sq. ft. is not a uniform standard. You can measure outside walls and inside walls and always get different numbers. With multi-story plans its not easy to calculate the exact sq footage. Plus, appraisals will not give full valuation credit for "below grade" finished space. IE: finished basements. If you ask a Realtor you will get an answer thats approximate but you wont find a uniform listing or method of measurement in the local real estate industry.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 AM

I guess because it is commonplace back where I'm from in WV and also here in IL, it is puzzling to me that I have yet to see it in any listings down there. If not sq footage, at least room dimensions would be convenient & make it much easier to screen out many listings without seeing them in person. In WV it was often classified separately as finished area above grade and finished area below grade to make allowances for finished basements. I guess I never saw the liability side of the issue, though I have to admit that we have looked at houses and came away thinking, "there's no way that bedroom was the size that they listed".

- Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area