Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 AM

28 posts, read 59,372 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll I want to thank you for your generous replies here because I always get good advice.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if my narrowed down decision of trussville to call home is a good idea. my husbands warehouse will be in center point and I have heard from him & a few other realtors that its not the greatest area. but then in my research see trussville and have learned its very nice - is this jefferson county??. I have found a few new home communities that would work for us -- my question is will it be a decent or overwhelming drive to get to the good shopping and dining and will we be close enough to the city of birmingham to be able to enjoy arts and events? I map quested and see the summit is 17 miles from trussville..I know in any town bad traffic can make a 17 mile drive take 75 minutes but in moving traffic I also know I can do it 20 minutes any thoughts??
how are the taxes in trussville? school systems…? we don't have kids but in the event we resell down the line (not gonna if I can't help it) is it a desirable area that is growing? any info on trussville would be great. Thanks so much…I really want to love my new home areas….and am adamant on affordable new housing communities only…seems Dr Horton is the only one I have found in the low 200's over there. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
It is a decent area, and it exsits in both Jefferson and St. Clair counties.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Trussville schools are good, and they don't mind funding their schools over there. The schools will be a good selling point for you down the road. As far as distance goes, you need to realize that when you say you want a newer home on 1/2 acre with more than 2,000 square feet for less than 300K in a good school district, you have essentially ruled out anything within 10 miles of the city center. So you need to stop asking if these neighborhoods are "too far" from shopping, dining and the arts, or you need to change one/some of your other variables.

Again, as I said in the other thread, it is going to depend where in Trussville you end up. Some areas are more remote and others are closer to 459 or 59. Either way, the trip to the Sumitt is on 459' which is a 6-lane interstate that moves better than every other highway in town. It may be 17 miles to the Summit, but once you hit 459, you're only 6 exits away at about 75 mph.

The "top" school systems per the conventional wisdom are Mt. Brook, Vestavia and Homewood. Then Hoover and probably Shelby County and Trussville. Trussville IS a place people with kids move to.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Thank you - this was helpful. I won't be able to get any lay of the land until I get out there in a couple of weeks. It very hard to pin point down a neighborhood to live/buy in when you are pressured and are unfamiliar. so the replies are greatly appreciated.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
My DD has a friend who lives in Trussville. She is a single woman and she loves her neighborhood. She bought a new home several years ago.

I have a friend who lives in Clay which is part of Trussville area and he has lived there for many years. I don't think you will be unhappy there

Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM

I am really leaning towards trussville, It has its own city, mall some dining, good school system from what I have learned and is close to 459 which will get me to the happening areas. It is also only 15 minutes to center point which is where my husbands warehouse will be located.

I think its going to be trussville and I am happy about this.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM

36 posts, read 64,462 times
You will be very happy here! I moved from a very small town and was really worried about driving here (like to be as independent as possible). I find I can keep myself busy shopping just in Trussville and occasionally going out to the Summit, which is a very quick and easy drive. I have had no need to venture further than that to keep myself occupied.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Thank you - we will actually be 10 minutes from Trussville - we are now having a home built and I am really looking forward to it…Ill be out there early summer. Finally… Thank you all for your kind help.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM

38 posts, read 55,716 times
Trussville looks like a good area, and the elementary school has positive reviews. I did have a question for those in the area though. Are there any good (academic but also creative in learning approach) private schools in the area? I have looked on various sites and there don't seem to be many alternatives to the public elementary school. I am worried that if the school does not end up being a good fit for my daughter there may be no close(driving distance) alternatives. Yet, the area seems to be developing and there are many businesses, so I can't figure out why there aren't more private schools? Also, for those with children at Paine elementary do you like it?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area