Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times

Advertisements

Birmingham is surprisingly ranked above heavy hitters such as : Atlanta,Miami,Chicago,Indianapolis, New Orleans,Tampa and etc. man it`s a great feeling to seethe states largest metro gaining ground now. I pray that this city will one day reach the fortune 500 status it once had 10 years ago.

Birmingham-Hoover rated 19th out of 50 largest metros in job creation

Quote:
The Birmingham-Hoover metro area rated in the top half of the Gallup Job Creation Index, which was updated with new data late last week.

Gallup builds its index by asking businesses whether they plan on adding or reducing staff. It surveys at least 1,000 businesses in each metro on its list.

In Birmingham, nearly 4 out of 10 businesses (38.8 percent) said they were hiring, while 15.3 percent of businesses said they would be reducing staff. Those percentages net out to a 23.5 "job creation index," ranking Birmingham-Hoover 19th in a list of the 50 largest metros in the U.S.

The percentage of businesses in Birmingham-Hoover that said they would expand was larger than in Kansas City, San Francisco, or Nashville. But because fewer businesses in those areas said they planned on contracting, each metro was ranked higher than Birmingham.

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown in Texas was the highest rated metro. There, 43.7 percent of businesses say they are hiring, while just 11.7 percent of businesses say they are contracting.

The lowest-ranked metro was San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, where 20.5 percent of businesses said they planned on contracting. New York-North New Jersey-Long Island came in second to last.
Birmingham-Hoover rated 19th out of 50 largest metros in job creation | AL.com

Gallup Economy: Houston Leads U.S. Metro Areas on Job Creation Index
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 02:16 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
More good news

Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Birmingham is surprisingly ranked above heavy hitters such as : Atlanta,Miami,Chicago,Indianapolis, New Orleans,Tampa and etc. man it`s a great feeling to seethe states largest metro gaining ground now. I pray that this city will one day reach the fortune 500 status it once had 10 years ago.

Birmingham-Hoover rated 19th out of 50 largest metros in job creation

Birmingham-Hoover rated 19th out of 50 largest metros in job creation | AL.com

Gallup Economy: Houston Leads U.S. Metro Areas on Job Creation Index

Thanks for the kind thoughts you always share.

Do remember however that this Gallup study reflects stability in a not so stable time. More than creating a lot of jobs, Birmingham is not losing the large percentage of jobs that those and many other cities are losing. (some of the numbers are breath taking)

Also, if there is not a turnaround in those cities their metro populations will start dropping as jobs were the reason people have rushed to many of those cities in the past few years.

Lesson; maybe slow growth has its good points.

Mobile is not doing so bad either, but I think you know that. Looking forward to being down in two weeks.

raj

Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
With this kind of recognition, luring an F500 employer should be at the top of Bentley's list. I know Bell is doing his best to recruit one. I hate the fact that Zoe's kitchen dipped on us for Dallas, so I'll never go in to one of those again. I always thought Taziki's was better anyway...

The conditions seem to be perfect for some company wanting to leave a crowded, expensive northern city or to at least expand their presence in the south. That should put us on a lot of short lists.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
With this kind of recognition, luring an F500 employer should be at the top of Bentley's list. I know Bell is doing his best to recruit one. I hate the fact that Zoe's kitchen dipped on us for Dallas, so I'll never go in to one of those again. I always thought Taziki's was better anyway...

The conditions seem to be perfect for some company wanting to leave a crowded, expensive northern city or to at least expand their presence in the south. That should put us on a lot of short lists.

I believe that we are stuck at this level until we reach a new level of air service. Most companies seem to mention that non connecting service is an issue for them and it is easy to see that.

Perhaps after the airport renewal is finished the authority and business community can focus on getting us over the hump on this.

raj

Old 03-26-2014, 03:55 PM

Ah yes. The airport. The renovations look great n the pictures I have seen. And I hope Tarrant and East Lake can rise to the occasion and be better around it. But is seems so chicken and egg to me about flight demand. We have to increase population for more people to make flights. To increase population we need more jobs. To get more jobs we need more big companies moving in. Seems to be going in a circle of which I hope the cycle can be broken within the next 3-5 years.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ah yes. The airport. The renovations look great n the pictures I have seen. And I hope Tarrant and East Lake can rise to the occasion and be better around it. But is seems so chicken and egg to me about flight demand. We have to increase population for more people to make flights. To increase population we need more jobs. To get more jobs we need more big companies moving in. Seems to be going in a circle of which I hope the cycle can be broken within the next 3-5 years.
Think this over. The airports that are servicing the most passengers are not necessarily in cities of comparably higher populations.
It is not the population of the cities that determines the amount of traffic. We know the sixty million passengers to the east don't live in that state. The same is true of the ten million passengers that fly through the Capitol city of the state to the north. Charlotte and Raleigh are also good examples. Charlotte and Kansas City are very similar in size but Charlotte has three or four times more air traffic. (Kansas City has our problem, St. Louis to the east and Chicago to the north)

True hubs are over with the exception of entry point airports. Internally all that is left is mini hubs. That is the first good news I have mentioned. We could not get the large hub for obvious reasons, but we could get a small hub and that is all it takes. We were almost there until Soutwest started flying to Atlanta. We had prices westward that people from the east were happy to come here for.
We are servicing the majority of passengers in the state and the passengers that new and growing businesses bring in and create. There is a limit to that as you pointed out.
Our business community has to start focusing on how we can lure airlines (what few are left) to compete for passengers that are using other airports at higher prices and longer waits.
We can do that. Some airlines just can't compete in the same airport where another airline controls the numbers and costs. So they would be smart to provide better service without having to drop their prices drastically.

We all know from flying that most people are not happy with most flights. Again, cost, and time wasted.
I have always had a personal rule; I will not fly east to catch a plane to fly west. I have practiced this all my adult life and have paid better prices and avoided sitting in airports. People will change their patterns given a product and we have a very good product that can have great growth potential if partnered with an airline that wants to change the rules so that they can better compete.

raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 03-26-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 12:16 PM

I just wonder if there will ever be a business case to an Airline to have a hub or mini - hub this close to Hartsfield unless Birmingham itself becomes more of a destination. Huntsville suffers from being between us and Nashville. I wonder if BHM could become Alabama's airport more so then it already is leaving the other major Alabama cities to focus on regional and local travel. If we had high speed rail running the length of 65 connecting Huntsville to Mobile through Birmingham and Montgomery maybe that could spark that traffic.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 AM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
A nice sign...Evonik (a German company) is adding 25 jobs in downtown Birmingham. I hope that this will eventually lead to a research/technology park in another part of the city...preferably near the airport or farther east Birmingham (Derby Pkwy area).

Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Da-ichi Life is looking to buy Protective Life. Hopefully they will want to invest more and expand heavily:

Report: Japan's Dai-ichi Life could buy Birmingham-based Protective Life | AL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area