Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,033 times

Advertisements

Which one has better pet qualities?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I would pick the Severe but I like both.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Once again I would go with the Blue Front.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM

Let me clarify my original thread. Which one has better pet quality and please elaborate.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Timing2012,

I can't elaborate, I offered my opinion. It is hard to quantify why I feel this way about the two species. As I mentioned in other threads, my opinions are based on my experience with parrots over many years.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 PM

I will mention that I feel a Severe is less nippy than a Blue Front. Mini macaws have a much more laid back personality.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Macaws, even minis, are much more destructive and noisy. However they are also more sweet/cuddly IME. (Big Macaws are a different story: loud, bitey, a tornado of destruction and rarely cuddly or sweet with a few exceptions.). Blue front will talk better, cost less, take up less space, eat less and destroy less of your house. So while I like Macaws much better, the Blue Front is probably technically a better pet (until you add int he coolness factor). Another however is it depends entirely on the bird. Some of each type will be sweeter than honey and others will be as nasty as a mother in law (not mine, she is an exception, I have an awesome mother in-law). The Macaws are less high strung too. I think it s because they know they are the king of the parrots, so if they do not like what you do with your finger, they can just remove it. Thus, they are less concerned about it. Thus, while a Macaw will bite out of onryness, an amazon is more likely to bite in panic.

however my Experience with mini macaws is limited to taking care of a Military for one summer, and a Severe for four months. Further, I have not had a blue front, but my understanding is there are essentially similar to a yellow nape.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Blue front will talk better, cost less, take up less space, eat less and destroy less of your house. So while I like Macaws much better, the Blue Front is probably technically a better pet (until you add int he coolness factor).
Mini Macaws eat more than Amazons?

I think Amazons, with its feather display and talking ability, are much cooler than mini-macaws.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
actually id say completly oposite, ive worked with amazons and macaws and i own a severe...

my observations:

macaws are more "open" to new people, jack will go to anyone whos confident enough to let him say hi...he LOVES strangers, hes curious and playfull and wants to meet people, he displays no preference of human gender assuming your confident.
hes been raised soley by a woman and yet has no issue with men

EVERY amazon ive met is a 1 person (or at minimum 1 gender) kind of bird...most are very picky about who they go to, and ive yet to meet ANY amazon whos as outgoing and gregarious as the macaws ive met...

unlike toos however neither are "snuggly baby birds, both are quite idependant and show their affection in a more independant style, all ive known love a good head scritch, and will sit ora few mins here and there forluvins...where as toos will sit and snuggle for HOURS!...
but id say macaws in m experience tend to be a little more cudle orientated than amazons.

i terms of talking ablity severes can tak...but nowhere neer as well as any amazon...thats just fact, amaons in general are just better talkers than macaws...so if tHATS the most importat thing for you, then go with an amazon. jack jacks almost 3 years old and he ranmbles on all the time but he only speaks a limited vocabulary CLEARLY (in such a way that people other than mysel have a clue what hes saying) amazons howere are clearer, learn more words and speak more frequently.

in terms of noise level...
jack will give the odd scream usually at around bedtime...but otherwie is a jabber box...he rambles on in jibbereish to himself but is NOT frequently loud...infact in my expeience amazons more freuently make noise than macaws...
macaws do have BIg voices (even the minis) but ive found them no louer than an amazon in volume...
NEITHR would be suited to apartment/close neighbor living in my opinion but id personally take a macaw scream over an amaon scream any day lol.

in the "macaws are more destuctive" colum i have to call bull on this one from my expeience...they are equal, a bored unspervised parrot of ANY kind is a destructive messy bird, their beaks are equally strong, they are both inteligent and they will BOTH tear anything they can get thier beaks on apart...its up toYOU as the human to never leave ANY parrot out unspervised anywhere they can get into trouble...plain and simple.
id say the 2 are equal on the destructiveness scale.

i terms of "space"
a bluefront is actually a bigger bird than a severe....BUT they are SHortER...body wise and weight wise the severe is actually smaller bodied than the blue front (slender built) BUT amaons have a short tail and macaws have a stunning LONG tail that makes them about twice the lenght. so yes a macaw needs a bigger cage than an amazon...not nessicarily overall epth or length but height especially...the macaws long tial needs manouver room.
in my experience macaws also seem moreactive in the cage they love hanging upside down and flapping those wings...so id agee that a sever despite similar sie to a blue front body wise is going to need a larger cage.

Ive NEVER noticed a mini macaw eat more than the average amazon...infact we ed the same amount of food to the zoos amazons as we did to the zoos LARGE macaws and everyone was a great weight and nooe left food...
macaws do LOVE to "dunk" their food though (dipping it in the water dish) so they do sometimes waste a little more than the amazons who i havent noticed this behavour as much.
BOTH will waste food knocking it out of the bowl dropping it ect...but in terms of food, id say they are about the same (and mini macaws eat the same sied pellet food aamazons too!

ive found macaws to be overall Nippier...but amazons bite HARDER...
when a macaw REALY ites its usually extreem fear, most of the rest of the time there not actually biting (remember birds experience the world through thier beaks) there testing trying, seing how secure the"perch" is, how far youll let thm go ect...

amazons however seem to bite because them MEAN it lol. and in my expeience it takes alot LESS to **** off an amaon than it does to realy **** off a macaw lol.

heres my handsome Jack Jack

Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Fine looking bird Foxy. I would have to agree with your observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds