Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 04:16 PM

308 posts, read 410,002 times

Advertisements

...because tomorrow we arrive on the Big Island for our 2nd annual 2 week vacation. The weather has been nasty here all winter on the west side of Oregon, and I am SO ready for warmth and some sunshine!

So, as last year, we have our book with us (The Big Island Revealed), plus our own list of favorite places we've already been and want to see, again, and a list from someone (Tweez?) of his/her favorite places.

Now, leaving out the "usual suspects" for tourists to visit (including Uncle Robert's), if YOU were spending 2 weeks on the island (east side, VRBO housing, rented car), and could only visit 2 places not on the usual tourism lists, where would you go, and why? Anywhere on the island is fine, as long as we can drive to it. Big Island only, please.

Keeping in mind, please, that I am disabled with a bad knee, hip and lower back, so long and/or steep hikes are out. I love photography, and do a lot of it with my Canon 50D DSLR, so scenic areas, great architecture, interesting people, and DOGS are high on my list to see/visit/experience. Just got a Go Pro 5 Session, so I'll undoubtedly want to take vids, too. Neither my husband nor I drink. I get severely seasick, as I found out last year while whale watching, so the same again, or watching the lava enter the ocean from a boat is out, but I don't get sick while flying.. I LOVE to shop for nice jewelry, interesting things made by hand, locally, and good souvenirs for my friends and family. Z doesn't like shopping so much, but he puts up with it for my sake. He loves the local Asian fusion cuisine, though, and besides checking out farmer's markets for good food (I could live on the apple bananas we get there, daily, in Hilo :-) ), a restaurant with good food and not-too-steep prices would make him happy.

Any suggestions of off-the-beaten-path places for us to visit/experience, given those parameters?

Thanks, and see ya tomorrow!

Last edited by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z; 02-06-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 09:06 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There's a new Asian fusion restaurant in Honokaa and loads of little shops and boutiques along main street there. Picture ops at Waipio overlook, too.

If you're in Hilo, the zoo is a nice place. It's small but good for couple hour visit. It's about half botanical garden. Plus it's free, what's not to like about that?

Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 PM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
One of our favorite things we did (that fit within your criteria) was a leisurely, unplanned drive up the Hamakua coast, but staying off hwy 19 (Mamalahoa hwy) as much as we could. We would take side roads at random. Some of which didn't go anywhere but back to the highway, but it is beautiful countryside and there are many photo ops.

I would recommend taking the Old Mamalahoa Hwy as well. We were on that road when we came across this local making stuff out of palm fronds. We stopped and talked to her for awhile (talk story?) and watched her whip out these nice baskets and things in minutes. Although a bit touristy we bought 2 and now have a story to tell and good memories to recall when we see them. Just down the road from that is What's Shakin, a well known place for smoothies and shakes. Of course we had to stop and give them a try. We found a number of roadside fruit stands where folks just put out what they had and a can or box for whatever you wanted to pay. It was our first time trying Rambutan. Never heard of them, never seen them before, and frankly they are very weird looking. But they were very good.

Moving along we found Honokaa. We both just loved that place and ended up going back a few times. We really wanted to catch a show or event at the People's Theatre there but there wasn't anything going on on the days we were there. This is a story on the theater worthy of your time to watch:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/29/u...waii.html?_r=0

http://honokaapeople.com/events.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ii_Hawaii.html

In Honokaa make sure you stop by Tex's Drive In and grab a box of malasads. It's the crack cocain of pastries. We couldn't get enough of them. But don't eat them right there! They are good for dessert. For your meal drive up the highway a bit further and check out the Waipio Cookhouse. Arguably the best food we had during our visit.

We did all this over the course of several trips, but it's easily doable in a day. I think the key is to have a loose plan and just go with the flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I Love Ya, Tomorrow...-img_8016.jpg  

Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 PM

Malasads...
Attached Thumbnails
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I Love Ya, Tomorrow...-img_8015.jpg  

Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Malasads...

Was that pic taken after,,,,, uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, Happy Hour???

Sometimes sixty minutes just won't do

Old 02-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Was that pic taken after,,,,, uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, Happy Hour???

Sometimes sixty minutes just won't do
When it comes to Beer and Malasads, happy hour is 24/7.
Attached Thumbnails
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I Love Ya, Tomorrow...-img_8017.jpg  

Old 02-06-2017, 11:26 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
67Cam, the word is malasadas. You left out the final "a".

Fun to read your trip report. Glad you had such a good time.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
67Cam, the word is malasadas. You left out the final "a".
Und fur zat schpelling infraction, you vill me lined oop in frunt of Leonards Bakery, or Liliha Bakery, und haf malasads tossed at you unzil you learn how fur schpell!!!!!!

Ve vill call is, 'Malasading'

Uuurrrppp,,, entschuldigung mich

Old 02-06-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
One of our favorite things we did (that fit within your criteria) was a leisurely, unplanned drive up the Hamakua coast, but staying off hwy 19 (Mamalahoa hwy) as much as we could. We would take side roads at random. Some of which didn't go anywhere but back to the highway, but it is beautiful countryside and there are many photo ops.

I would recommend taking the Old Mamalahoa Hwy as well. We were on that road when we came across this local making stuff out of palm fronds. We stopped and talked to her for awhile (talk story?) and watched her whip out these nice baskets and things in minutes. Although a bit touristy we bought 2 and now have a story to tell and good memories to recall when we see them. Just down the road from that is What's Shakin, a well known place for smoothies and shakes. Of course we had to stop and give them a try. We found a number of roadside fruit stands where folks just put out what they had and a can or box for whatever you wanted to pay. It was our first time trying Rambutan. Never heard of them, never seen them before, and frankly they are very weird looking. But they were very good.

Moving along we found Honokaa. We both just loved that place and ended up going back a few times. We really wanted to catch a show or event at the People's Theatre there but there wasn't anything going on on the days we were there. This is a story on the theater worthy of your time to watch:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/29/u...waii.html?_r=0

http://honokaapeople.com/events.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ii_Hawaii.html

In Honokaa make sure you stop by Tex's Drive In and grab a box of malasads. It's the crack cocain of pastries. We couldn't get enough of them. But don't eat them right there! They are good for dessert. For your meal drive up the highway a bit further and check out the Waipio Cookhouse. Arguably the best food we had during our visit.

We did all this over the course of several trips, but it's easily doable in a day. I think the key is to have a loose plan and just go with the flow.
It sounds as if you like to travel and vacation like we do--loose plan, and going with the flow. That's what works best for us.

We LOVE What's Shakin', and will undoubtedly visit it again once or twice during our stay. And Honokaa is gorgeous. I never noticed the theater, so we'll check that out. As for the Waipio Cookhouse, we'll DEFINITELY have to eat there. We love the Waipio Valley and will visit it at least a couple of times while we're there (to get the best photo ops), and if the restaurant is anywhere near, we'll have the perfect lunch destination :-).

Other photo ops we took advantage of last time, and that we'll do again this time, is Pololu Valley, Akaka Falls, the Zoo just outside of Hilo, farmer's markets and stands anywhere we pass one. We'd like to also visit the observatory museum thing in Hilo, and with luck it will even be a sunny day, there :-). We didn't do that last time, and I've heard many people recommend it. We'll visit Rainbow Falls and the Boiling Pots. We'll pretty much just ramble all over the island, like we did last time. If we can get to it, and the car rental agreement allows, we'll hit up whatever sounds good, and return to the place we've rented on someone's organic gardens farm to enjoy fresh fruits and veggies from her bounteous gardens.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Und fur zat schpelling infraction, you vill me lined oop in frunt of Leonards Bakery, or Liliha Bakery, und haf malasads tossed at you unzil you learn how fur schpell!!!!!!

Ve vill call is, 'Malasading'

Uuurrrppp,,, entschuldigung mich
LOL! As usual, you make me laugh. Thank you :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island