Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 08:12 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times

Advertisements

So I've been doing a lot of research on the Big Island and I can't get over the fact that land goes for 3 times more or higher in Hamakua then in Puna, even more in the "bad" parts of Puna. In Puna I was mostly looking closer to Volcano north or west of highway 11. I realize a lot of Puna has volcanic rock under the soil, and has greater chance for volcanic activity, but is that the only reason or main reason for the cost difference?
Is my assumption correct that soil north or west of 11 is not as volcanic as other areas of Puna? My wife and I are tea drinkers and have always thought it would be interesting to grow tea, but I wasn't sure if any land in Puna was capable of growing much. It definitely has the precipitation and temperature for growing and I did find 1 small tea farm near Volcano, but it seemed very poorly done. We do sell various teas in our restaurant, so in theory if the quality is good we would want to do that as well.
I was mostly looking at properties 5 to 10 acres. In Hamakua the cheapest I found was $270,000 and that's only the land for 5.2 acres, Puna I was able to find a seemingly decent house and 21 acres for $350,000 on the south side of 11 near mountain view. My guess is we are 2-3 years from buying anything and we will be taking a vacation/research trip to the Big Island within the next year or so.

My last question is does Volcano have many stores or is it primarily a tourist town, which is my assumption? I have heard that there are good restaurants there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,522 times
Volcano is an artists' town --- of course the Fed Park attracts many tourists and the food in the area is quite good ---
used to live in Kau and enjoyed going to Volcano --- and miss it now

Old 08-10-2014, 03:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My last question is does Volcano have many stores or is it primarily a tourist town, which is my assumption? I have heard that there are good restaurants there.
Not many stores, no. It's not very big.

Volcano was a summer resort area in the early 1900s, pre-air conditioning, because it is much cooler than Hilo in the summertime. Today it is a renowned artist colony, and also is the bedroom community for a lot of park rangers and professionals who work at the vulcanology observatory in the park, or in Hilo. It's also home to a lot of grand old pre-war houses, many of which are now B&Bs.

Starting at the Post Office, near Haunani Road and Old Volcano Road, heading north towards Hilo, there are 2 general stores, about 1200 ft apart, which more or less mark the ends of the "business district" , and between them are a gas station and another gas pump, a laundromat, 2 gift stores, a hardware store, a cafe, and a half dozen restaurants. At the far north end of the old road, a couple of blocks further, is an art gallery and lunch time cafe. South of the village, inside the park, is a hotel and restaurant (Kilauea Lodge and Thai Thai are excellent), an art and crafts gallery, and a restaurant, bar, laundromat and bowling alley that are open to the public in the KMC (Kilaeua Military Camp), an old military base turned resort. Mauka the park is a country club and restaurant, and a winery, the southernmost in the united States. And that's about it.

But it's sweet.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:04 PM

268 posts, read 382,946 times
Hey OpenD, how did you (and Volcano) fare in the tropical storm? I've got some areas on the Big Island I think I'd like to live in, but of course would rent for a few months before buying. I'm likely a year or two out from that at this point, but I'm working towards it.

Volcano sounds like a nice place, may be a bit colder than I prefer, but will definitely check it out. One of my leading candidates has me worried with recent events: Leilani Estates. Lava Zone 1, got it, understand the risk. Geothermal plant venting toxic gas when it lost power causing evacuation of L.E.? Huh, didn't anticipate that. It also seems like they got hammered a little harder from the storm than most. Not sure if that's geography/topology, just more reports from that area or what...

Amyway, hope you had no damage from the storm.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Hey OpenD, how did you (and Volcano) fare in the tropical storm? I've got some areas on the Big Island I think I'd like to live in, but of course would rent for a few months before buying. I'm likely a year or two out from that at this point, but I'm working towards it.

Volcano sounds like a nice place, may be a bit colder than I prefer, but will definitely check it out. One of my leading candidates has me worried with recent events: Leilani Estates. Lava Zone 1, got it, understand the risk. Geothermal plant venting toxic gas when it lost power causing evacuation of L.E.? Huh, didn't anticipate that. It also seems like they got hammered a little harder from the storm than most. Not sure if that's geography/topology, just more reports from that area or what...

Amyway, hope you had no damage from the storm.
Mostly trees and power lines down. The water runs downhill from here.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Mostly trees and power lines down. The water runs downhill from here.
Glad to hear that everyone is safe! The fact that it seems hurricanes are rare on Hawaii will help me in persuading my wife, the thought of a hurricane scares her. But we did experience a Typhoon in Hainan, China.

Out of curiosity, do you know of any elevation maps for Hawaii? I've looked and can't seem to find any.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 PM

268 posts, read 382,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Glad to hear that everyone is safe! The fact that it seems hurricanes are rare on Hawaii will help me in persuading my wife, the thought of a hurricane scares her. But we did experience a Typhoon in Hainan, China.

Out of curiosity, do you know of any elevation maps for Hawaii? I've looked and can't seem to find any.
Try this one:

Hawaii, the Big Island Topo Map

Scroll down past the ad. It has issues when I try to zoom on the map, but I'm on an Ipad and a lot of websites have issues.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
I was chatting to one of our Kukuihaele refugees today (they were still out of power up until late afternoon so they were over here having hot showers and charging their cell phones). We were comparing how folks were reacting to Iselle in Puna versus how they were reacting to the power outages in Kukuihaele. In Puna, there's been bits on the news about residents confronting the electrical repair crews and some folks getting into a scuffle over ice. In Kukuihaele, folks are just friendly and checking to see if everyone is alright and no complaints or arguments. My friend had lived in Puna before he moved to Kukuihaele so he was amazed by the differences.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Try this one:

Hawaii, the Big Island Topo Map

Scroll down past the ad. It has issues when I try to zoom on the map, but I'm on an Ipad and a lot of websites have issues.
Thanks, exactly what I wanted!

Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I was chatting to one of our Kukuihaele refugees today (they were still out of power up until late afternoon so they were over here having hot showers and charging their cell phones). We were comparing how folks were reacting to Iselle in Puna versus how they were reacting to the power outages in Kukuihaele. In Puna, there's been bits on the news about residents confronting the electrical repair crews and some folks getting into a scuffle over ice. In Kukuihaele, folks are just friendly and checking to see if everyone is alright and no complaints or arguments. My friend had lived in Puna before he moved to Kukuihaele so he was amazed by the differences.
Thanks, that's good information to have. From what I have gathered hamakua is probably better for us, if it ends up being too expensive we will stay closer to Volcano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island