Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,475 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I just moved here to my husband's hometown on the BI in January and have been looking to meet any fellow scrapbookers. I have been doing this for over 12 years and have taught at scrapbook stores as well. One of the classes I taught was for beginners so anyone interested in learning, don't hesitate to contact me, too!

Would love to get to know some more folks! Look forward to hearing from you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
What exactly is a "scrapbook" these days? I've seen a scrapbook store somewhere in Hilo, I think it was but never went in. Scrapbooks used to sort of be memorabilia / photo album sorts of things, didn't they? Is the current batch any different? Why would there be stores for such things?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 PM

LOL hotzcatz Yup they are still photo driven albums and if you can be sure to make your memorabilia archivally safe then by all means it is added to the scrapbook. Think of a scrapbook as an elaborate family/individual/event (etc...) diary that is documented with photos, embellishments and journaling to corroborate the story one is trying to tell with each layout (the page or co-ordinating pages that tell the story.) I haven't been to the Scrapbook store in Hilo yet but I did see it the other day on my way home from Long's. I definitely have to check it out; though I have enough materials to have my own store! The scrapbook store in Honoka'a is fantastic!
'Scrapping' is a great way to leave a family legacy to all your future generations so you can 'talk story' with them despite possibly not being there... Did I mention, too, that the scrapbook industry is an over a billion dollar industry per year?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 PM

737 posts, read 1,464,382 times
There are a handful of scrapbooking stores on the island. There is even one in Honoka'a. Must be a pretty popular hobby if there are stores scattered around the island. There might be more scrapbooking stores than Starbucks!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:53 AM

We used to have photo albums as a kid and other things like newspaper articles, pressed flowers, leaves and such would be stuck in there as well so maybe we were scrap booking and didn't know it. I don't see how those could keep the amount of stores open that there seem to be, but it sounds more fun than stamp collecting. Now most of our photos are digital, though and very few of them even get printed. I suppose we should print out a few of the good ones for when we either lose the hard drive or lose the ability to look at the format.

If you have spinning, weaving or knitting as another hobby, there will be a spinning demonstration next weekend in Honokaa. It's not exactly scrap booking, but it's sort of hobby related.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Franklin42--I think the scrapbook industry would be in awe to think that there is actually somewhere that there is more scrapbook stores per capita than Starbucks! Even if there was an equal amount would send them reeling

Hotzcatz--Spinning, eh? Other than the spinning class at the gym, I don't think I've ever even heard of spinning outside of Rapunzel (or was that weaving?!) Just so you know, too, there is a digital version of scrapbooking as well! You use your pictures virtually to create your layouts that are stored on your computer. I am thinking of trying digital scrapbooking as well, but since I have soooo much of the tactile elements, I just haven't delved in yet!

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-24-2010 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: sorry but new members are not allowed to post links. thanks

Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Well, I think we have two starbucks and two scrapbook stores within thirty miles of us, so that's about equal, isn't it? If you go thirty two miles, though, then you encompass another starbucks and that upsets the odds.

This current version of scrapbooking looks like a cross between a photo album, advertising and Photoshop. Doesn't look like you'd need a lot of expensive tools to work on them or a lot of space, either so I can see why folks would find it a popular hobby.

Well, yarn has to come from somewhere and there's all these sheep and angora rabbits making fiber all over the place so we have spinning. I only have a drop spindle but there are an amazing amount of folks out there with spinning wheels. There are also folks who weave lauhala hats, mats and such as well as the folks who weave yarns and other fibers. However, it is getting on towards spring and summer so some of us will be gardeners for awhile before we get back to playing with fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island