Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 AM

502 posts, read 985,035 times

Advertisements

People come to Hawaii and Florida for that matter and forget how strong the sun is ! You be warned, You be burned. READ - Gallons of Aloe Vera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times
LOL, I found out for sure on a rainy day in Waimea, despite wearing a hat I still got pretty red!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
The sun is much stronger in CO than HI, but I still got a bit of a tan while I was there. Could have been that I was outside most of the week though and during a normal week I'm at work.

Hiking around Volcano caught me off guard and I got burned, but after that I was putting sunscreen on with a spatula

I actually didn't have to wear my sunglasses the entire week there, but I can't step foot outside here without them on

Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
I'm a pale haole who burns under a full moon, so when I go to Hawaii, I alway slather on lots of SPF 45 sunscreen. I've never been sunburned there. My darker-skinned Hawaiian wife and her sons, however, got cocky on a trip to Hawaii a few years ago and said that they didn't burn, just tan. They didn't use sunscreen, and they burned so badly that they blistered.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Sunburn hint:

If you get burned, brew up some Lipton's tea, really strong. Cool it to body temperature and bathe the sunburn with it. It will take some of the pain out and help to convert the burn to tan quicker.

Honest. It works really well. It is rumored to be the tannin in the tea that does the trick.

I'm sure it doesn't have to be Lipton's brand, but it needs to be black tea. I say Lipton's because that is all I've ever used and I know it works. I just use the tea bag, itself, to dab the tea onto the burn.

Another vote for good sunscreen, though, if you are not accustomed to the sun.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM

406 posts, read 865,445 times
When we were in Hawaii the first time we were at the Kodak Hula Show (anyone remember that?) and my wife had on a spaghetti strapped sun dress. I told her she should put on sunscreen, but she said "blacks don't burn". She found out to her surprise that blacks do burn!

On our many later trips she used sunscreen.

Mickey

Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 AM

My first big time mistake with the Hawaiian sun was wearing a speedo and laying in a very remote place wear no one was around and positioned myself on a gentle slope of smooth black lava pebbles, the gentle waves were so wonderful, splashing gently on my legs around 11:00 AM . The quietness and rolling waves lulled me to sleep. Three hours later I woke up and walked back to my truck. That night I KNEW I was burned and barely slept at all. Now, if I think I am going to be around the ocean for more than 40 minutes, I wear a T shirt and some kind of tight swim pants. But I did learn my lesson.... Take the sun in 20 minuite bursts per day until you get acclaimated to it.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:07 PM

incase you burn, put on some oregano and roast long - ring the dinner bell.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:19 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
I'm fair skinned Minnesotan and have been vacationing the islands for decades. Never been burned, nor my daughter. We don't use sunscreen either. What we do is acclimate. We do stay at least two weeks so there isn't the rush to hit the water. We shop and eat and wear hats the first two days, taking in the sunset on the beach. By the third day we are pretty well acclimated. I stay on the beach and in the water pretty much all day, having packed a lunch. I have seen others turn bright red and burn.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I'm fair skinned Minnesotan and have been vacationing the islands for decades. Never been burned, nor my daughter. We don't use sunscreen either. What we do is acclimate. We do stay at least two weeks so there isn't the rush to hit the water. We shop and eat and wear hats the first two days, taking in the sunset on the beach. By the third day we are pretty well acclimated. I stay on the beach and in the water pretty much all day, having packed a lunch. I have seen others turn bright red and burn.
You might wish to do a little homework on the latest research. It's actually quite possible to suffer skin damage without any visible reddening.

I am fairer than fair, and learned at an early age how quickly I could burn. So I developed a strategy something like yours. Then my mother, whose complexion I inherited, who was also careful about sun exposure, had several bouts of skin cancer. In the aftermath I did some reeducation and reassessment.

Now I buy the biggest bottles I can find of SPF 45+ sunscreen with high UVA protection, whenever I see it on sale, and I keep them in my bathroom, by the front door, and in my car to remind me to "grease up" whenever I'm going to get much exposure. And so far... long past the age when my mother started being afflicted... my dermatologist is still smiling.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island