Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I do have to disagree with Bend being a little warmer in the winter. Temperature wise it may be, but usually those warmer temps are due to the cloud cover and/or rain.
Fair enough, I've never lived in the higher country of Colorado and temperatures definitely feel different than just what their number reflects (not joking at all: sun exposure, humidity, clouds, rain, etc...). It's funny what context does to ANY subject (I'm SUCH a dork!!).

Purely based on contextless statistics, it's hard to believe that Bend feels just as cold or colder than Aspen at night when Aspen has 3 months with nightly averages below 20 degrees and 2 months with nightly averages below 10 degrees while Bend doesn't have a single months night average below 22 degrees. Bend's not humid at all, so that shouldn't effect it (which is the biggest factor), but since we get less winter sun I can see why it may feel warmer than the lows reflect in Aspen.

At the end of the day, both places are amazing to live in.

Last edited by kapetrich; 10-26-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Fair enough, I've never lived in the higher country of Colorado and temperatures definitely feel different than just what their number reflects (not joking at all: sun exposure, humidity, clouds, rain, etc...). It's funny what context does to ANY subject (I'm SUCH a dork!!).

Purely based on contextless statistics, it's hard to believe that Bend feels just as cold or colder than Aspen at night when Aspen has 3 months with nightly averages below 20 degrees and 2 months with nightly averages below 10 degrees while Bend doesn't have a single months night average below 22 degrees. Bend's not humid at all, so that shouldn't effect it (which is the biggest factor), but since we get less winter sun I can see why it may feel warmer than the lows reflect in Aspen.

At the end of the day, both places are amazing to live in.
Actually, Bend is humid in the winter, compared with Colorado. It's actually above the US average from about Nov-Feb. I know that when it's snowing hard up at Mt. Bachelor, it's often a much wetter snow than I am used to. I often get chilled to the bone up there, whereas in Colorado, I rarely got cold, even when it was snowing. Take a look at the humidity graphs for Bend compared with Aspen.

Aspen:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Aspen-Colorado.html

Bend: https://www.city-data.com/city/Bend-Oregon.html

(Sorry, wanted to just copy and paste the graphs but couldn't figure out how to do that. )

I think the humidity level is why it does feel colder to me. While our overnight lows rarely get to the level on the Colorado high country in the winter, we don't seem to warm up as much due to the lack of sun in the winter as well.

I don't mean to sound negative, just trying to explain it the best way I can. Believe me, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out, because I was told (and naively believed rather than spending time researching much for myself) Bend's weather is comparable to Colorado. It's somewhat similar, but it's not comparable, IMHO.

Last edited by delta07; 10-27-2011 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,396 times
Quote:
I completely understand moving closer to family! It does seem like Central Oregon fits the bill for you. Not so sure about the changing demographics, but I won't argue that here. I do have to disagree with Bend being a little warmer in the winter. Temperature wise it may be, but usually those warmer temps are due to the cloud cover and/or rain. There's are a few older threads here that talk about the winter weather in Oregon. I would suggest reading through these (and perhaps you have).
https://www.city-data.com/forum/orego...-sky-bend.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...s-weather.html

I can't seem to find the one where one of the regular posters talked about the city-data graphs, but that one was really an eye opener to me. Basically when comparing Colorado and Bend side by side, looking at the number of cloudy days, Bend has a big bell curve. It might do you well to take a look at those graphs for Bend and Portland, just so you can see what I mean. Summers are virtually cloud free for both, winters not so much.

I think it's great that you are visiting during all the different seasons though. That will help make your decision much easier. Bend is a great place to live, the weather, for my husband and I, is a just a little too PNW influenced. I always joke that I didn't move to Bend to be in the PNW, haha!
I have seen the graphs and have to admit that is the #1 negative for me. Because there is so much conflicting information, I am actually charting the cloud cover on a twice a day Basis using webcams in Greeley, Woodland Park Co, and Bend/Sunriver.

I am a real sun lover, and we are planning on some solar Electricity in our home, so those issues are pretty important. But we haven't bee able to find another place that has the other things we want and more sun. The advantage we have though, is we will be retired and plan to travel a lot.
If we get tired of the gray about February, we can just leave for a while.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I have seen the graphs and have to admit that is the #1 negative for me. Because there is so much conflicting information, I am actually charting the cloud cover on a twice a day Basis using webcams in Greeley, Woodland Park Co, and Bend/Sunriver.

I am a real sun lover, and we are planning on some solar Electricity in our home, so those issues are pretty important. But we haven't bee able to find another place that has the other things we want and more sun. The advantage we have though, is we will be retired and plan to travel a lot.
If we get tired of the gray about February, we can just leave for a while.
Have you considered some Oregon towns further east, or possibly even Boise or other Idaho towns(I know you mentioned having family in Idaho)? While Boise itself isn't exactly beautiful, you have access to some amazing backcountry and would still be within a day's drive of the coast. The sun shines throughout the winter there.

I have at least 3 retired couples in my neighborhood alone that leave Bend during the winter. They just can't take the cold, long winters anymore. Of course, most of them are much older and not very active anymore, so being active does help keep the winter blues away.

I honestly didn't realize how much the lack of sun here in the winter would affect me. Even though I'm pretty active and ski or hike 2-3 times a week in the winter, I still struggle with the cloud cover. After living here for 3 years, I know that one day I will be leaving. I love what Bend has to offer, but I just can't shake off the long winter and short summer. I need a little bit more.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Have you considered some Oregon towns further east, or possibly even Boise or other Idaho towns(I know you mentioned having family in Idaho)? While Boise itself isn't exactly beautiful, you have access to some amazing backcountry and would still be within a day's drive of the coast. The sun shines throughout the winter there.

I have at least 3 retired couples in my neighborhood alone that leave Bend during the winter. They just can't take the cold, long winters anymore. Of course, most of them are much older and not very active anymore, so being active does help keep the winter blues away.

I honestly didn't realize how much the lack of sun here in the winter would affect me. Even though I'm pretty active and ski or hike 2-3 times a week in the winter, I still struggle with the cloud cover. After living here for 3 years, I know that one day I will be leaving. I love what Bend has to offer, but I just can't shake off the long winter and short summer. I need a little bit more.
We did consider those, but the lack of easily accessible forests, within a good vicinity of Amenities, killed them. We will build in the forest, that is for sure. And having the coast even closer is a big plus for Salt water fishing. As far as family, their long term plan is to end up in the PNW anyway. We actually want to find some other areas to explore but so far none are metting our criteria.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:55 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Actually, Bend is humid in the winter, compared with Colorado. It's actually above the US average from about Nov-Feb. I know that when it's snowing hard up at Mt. Bachelor, it's often a much wetter snow than I am used to. I often get chilled to the bone up there, whereas in Colorado, I rarely got cold, even when it was snowing. Take a look at the humidity graphs for Bend compared with Aspen.

Aspen:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Aspen-Colorado.html

Bend: https://www.city-data.com/city/Bend-Oregon.html

I think the humidity level is why it does feel colder to me. While our overnight lows rarely get to the level on the Colorado high country in the winter, we don't seem to warm up as much due to the lack of sun in the winter as well.
You're right. I'm surprised, actually, because the lack of humidity compared to what I was used to, especially in the winter, is so low. Just depends where you're coming from.

Quote:
I don't mean to sound negative, just trying to explain it the best way I can. Believe me, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out, because I was told (and naively believed rather than spending time researching much for myself) Bend's weather is comparable to Colorado. It's somewhat similar, but it's not comparable, IMHO.
It's not negative at all. It's just the truth and it's awesome how reasonable you are about it - it's frustrating when there are either strait bashers or pumpers. I hope the '300 days of sunshine' slogan is debunked more often (it'll help the economy in the long run ). The reality is, like you always point out, Bend still feels the effects of the PNW weather cycles. If you want true unabated sun in the winter look towards the sun belt and 4 corners.

To me, as an easterner, Bend's weather is pretty comparable to Colorado. To a Coloradan, I can see why it isn't as much.

@Whirnot - I know you said the transition is to the PNW for a bunch of good reasons, but have you checked out mountain towns in NM or AZ? Prescott, Flagstaff, Santa Fe, etc. They're all mountainous towns with decent amenities and definitely have the sun you're seeking. But, I guess the demographic issue you brought up would most likely be 'worse' in those towns considering their location and culture (not sure I agree with that sentiment, either, but that's a totally different topic). If you're looking for a pretty homogeneously white region of the country, the PNW is hard to beat.

Last edited by kapetrich; 10-27-2011 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM

We have looked at the AZ, New Mexico area, but the negatives are a lack of true forests, (Pine and fir) within reasonable amenities, and distance from the ocean. they also do not have the Fishing and some of the outdoor activities that Bend has. Also the cost. Flagstaff is quite a bit higher than Bend. But to make sure my wife is headed to Phoenix next week and will make a trip to the Prescott area.

As far as demographics, I DO NOT desire a lilly white area. I love diversity. In fact I am grateful we are starting to get a significant East African poulation here. Unfortunately the area I live in has had the scales tipped and Caucasions are almost in the minority.

And it is the type of people that are being attracted. They are utilizing all of our public resources, and sending their money to their parent country. The current High school drop out rate here is over 50% due to Gangs.
Crime is ridiculous. If it isn't bolted down it will get stolen.

I had a building that was empty for a couple of months, and now it has had all the plumbing and wiring stolen, as well as a truck inside a building had the engine and transmission stolen.

I have watched the deterioration of this area for the last 15 years, and It is just too much. I need to leave the agricultural based areas, for that reason.

I really do appreciate everyones input, questions, and ideas. We definitely want to go into this with eyes wide open.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:36 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
Kind of an interest subthread comparing the Rockies and Bend. I have never lived in Bend, but I have lived in Corvallis and Ashland. I feel the winters here feel colder than what I experienced in Colorado (I've lived in Ft. Collins and Durango). The sun in the winter really breaks it up for me, as you never go a month in Colorado without feeling a bit of warmth on your cheeks. Here, you do not feel that from November to March. W. Oregon is definitely pretty mild, so it never feels that cold. I would imagine that Bend would be notably colder. The night temps in spring and fall are among the lowest in the country.

It is very personal though. My wife, of Irish-American extraction, really found Colorado to be rather harshly cold (she seems to remember the Arctic blasts and blizzards; I remembered the sun), but she LOVES the enveloping mists and mild rain of Oregon. She is out just about every day rain or shine. I do pretty well until about February, then I get a bit cranky if I don't start seeing sun. The most difficult thing about the PNW, in my opinion, is that it can be nearly continuous clouds and daily rain for up to 2-3 weeks at a stretch anytime between October and May. When the storms start rolling through, they keep coming until a big change in the jet stream occurs. I know that with the short days and rainy weekends, I typically ignore my backyard between November and March, and it grows into a jungle in spring, but it is rarely dry enough to mow until April.Kind of a seige mentality can set in. That is why we love coffee and books so much! Now, with Mt. Bachelor and skiing, I don't think that would be the case in Bend, but my point is that winter is more of an "ordeal" to me in Oregon than it was in Colorado.

I will echo what others have said about the feeling of cold. I recall skiing at Purgatory in single digits in Colorado and not feeling cold; I also recall planting trees here in 35 degree dumping rain and being quite chilled to the bone. Here in Ashland, the temp. is often just above freezing, but it would feel much warmer if it was freezing. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

All this said, Oregon is a wonderful state, weather and economy notwithstanding.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:45 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
Back to the fall weather in Bend.

It seems like October 15 is typically the transition to the winter storm pattern. This looks to be another La Nina, which may mean wet fall, some sun in midwinter, then a wet, prolonged spring, and a late summer. That is what get got last year, we'll see what we get. Point is, I would expect that September 1-October 15 would be really nice most years, with an occasional storm and increasingly colder nights. I think Oregon is a lot like New England in that the early falls are arguably the most beautiful days of the year, late fall is increasingly unsettled and winterlike. Time for pumpkin pie and nice sweaters (under your raingear!).

Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM

I have to laugh, when w first started looking at Bend it was because it was Rated the best place in the US to retire, (Robust economy, 300 days of sunshine per year)

I think the Websites were a little outdated, and written by Real Estate Brokers! However unless we can find something better, it is still #1 for us.

I would also love to hear anyone elses thoughts about where their idea for best place to live is, given our needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend