Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,088,597 times

Advertisements

I totally recommend AcroVision Sports Center for any kind of activities for the kids!!! Its clean, well run, organized, the staff is friendly and helpful, we just love em. We've always had a good experience w/the other parents there, and the kids have always welcomed mine with good spirits.
Its really a great place to take the kids where they will have a great time and all the coaches there are just spectacular. Its one of my daughters favorite places to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 25,220 times
Hi Lori and Randy
thanks for the reply. Currently my husband is working on commercial ratings, so he is a recreational pilot now. I saw the posting for the rotor wing job, too bad he's not a helicopter pilot!! Don't know how to private message anyone on this.... Do you have children too? What areas did you like in Bend? Will you be going again? We are probably going back in April, during spring break. Unfortunately, the clouds were to the ground and we were unable to see the view at all last weekend. Found some areas we liked, east side, with the ranches and ranchettes - not too far from the Bend Airport. Never made it to Sunriver. Went to Sisters, very cute, very small town, but not for us. Found some good restaurants, nice shopping, Old Mill District is nice. The downtown area and downtown parks are nice too. They need to have a doggie poopie clean up law, or enforce it if there is one, doggie bombs everywhere. I figure house prices will continue to come down, just due to the economy in the country. Ideally, we want a home on acreage, so we can have horses too. We are not interested in living 5 feet from the neighbors, and a lot of the communities seem to be that way....

Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 AM

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Alas, another trip will be necessary, since the weather was so gray, we couldn't see what the area looked like (I think we brought Seattle to Bend for the weekend!!). So, we'll be coming again in April. What is west of Bend like? Near the Comm College, we didn't get over there. Liked east of Bend quite a bit - near the ranches and farms. Didn't get down to or near Sunriver, but my impression is that is more of a retirement area, is that correct? People seem nice, no one was rude, everyone was friendly and personable. Saw some nice houses, some in not great areas (not pretty areas)...

Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,809,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer9168 View Post
Hi Lori and Randy
thanks for the reply. Currently my husband is working on commercial ratings, so he is a recreational pilot now. I saw the posting for the rotor wing job, too bad he's not a helicopter pilot!! Don't know how to private message anyone on this.... Do you have children too? What areas did you like in Bend? Will you be going again? We are probably going back in April, during spring break. Unfortunately, the clouds were to the ground and we were unable to see the view at all last weekend. Found some areas we liked, east side, with the ranches and ranchettes - not too far from the Bend Airport. Never made it to Sunriver. Went to Sisters, very cute, very small town, but not for us. Found some good restaurants, nice shopping, Old Mill District is nice. The downtown area and downtown parks are nice too. They need to have a doggie poopie clean up law, or enforce it if there is one, doggie bombs everywhere. I figure house prices will continue to come down, just due to the economy in the country. Ideally, we want a home on acreage, so we can have horses too. We are not interested in living 5 feet from the neighbors, and a lot of the communities seem to be that way....

Flyer9168

City Data's Direct Message system is very easy to access and use.

At the very top of your page, you'll notice your screen name in right-hand corner. Just below it, you'll see the words "Direct Message". Simply click on that phrase and you'll be direct into the DM system which works like an email program.

The DM system will also alert you to new messages in your Inbox each time you log on to City Data.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:45 PM

Default Thanks for DM advice!

Thank you for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Flyer9168

City Data's Direct Message system is very easy to access and use.

At the very top of your page, you'll notice your screen name in right-hand corner. Just below it, you'll see the words "Direct Message". Simply click on that phrase and you'll be direct into the DM system which works like an email program.

The DM system will also alert you to new messages in your Inbox each time you log on to City Data.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM

10,997 posts, read 20,716,670 times
I would take my time finding the right house if you intend to buy. Prices are not going up. Don't get caught up in realtor hype. There is a Bend Bubble blog.

Sunriver is a recreation community, primarily. During the summer visitors overwhelm the facilities

Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM

480 posts, read 2,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer9168 View Post
Hi Lori and Randy
If you want acreage, you should look where you did around the airport, or outside of Bend. If you went to Sisters, you probably went through Tumalo which is a good place for finding places large enough for horses and it's not far from Bend. The West side is a different feel from the east side, but you probably won't find horse property inside the city limits. Just west of town is a place called Saddleback and those homes have large lots with room for horses.

Sunriver is a destination resort. There are a number of people who live there year round, but for the most part it is a tourist area.

Sorry you got here on our foggy days (except the hoar frost was sure pretty, wasn't it?) It's been sunny ever since the inversion burned off.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 AM

The hoar frost was beautiful - it is amazing to see all those ice crystals! We will be coming back end of March, hopefully the sun is there! I agree about real estate - I think the whole country is going down, certainly not going up in price! Thanks for the thoughts about where to look and the info on Sunriver. We will look on the west side in Saddleback also on the next trip, and again around the airport. Pretty countryside there. We are looking forward to our return trip, and hope to find some more fun outdoor things to do (the weather wasn't too cooperative last time!). We want to climb up Pilot Butte also, and wish the lava cave was open that time of year, looks really cool. Any great (and inexpensive + kid friendly) restaurant suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 67,767 times
Hi,

We are hoping to move to Bend in April/May. We have recently immigrated from the UK and are not enjoying So California at all.

Is it possible to live in an Area that is safe, has public transport, reasonable rents, and is close to shops, Best Buy, and places one could find work?

There are three of us and only one car so if we could find an area like that in Bend we would be so happy.

Thank you for your help.

Cyan

Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 PM

480 posts, read 2,477,016 times
Hello, Flyer. I'll wish for better weather for your next visit! Kid -friendly restaurants in Bend: in the Old Mill District, try Cafe Yumm (healthy food), Red Robin, Flatbread Community Oven (lets kids prepare their own little pizza for cooking in an open wood fire oven) and next door, is is pasta restaurant whose name escapes me at the moment. On the West side, try Kebaba (Midddle Eastern) and La Rosa (in Northwest Crossing). Downtown: El Caporal and Pizza Mondo are two good choices, and there are others.

Cyanrainbow, public transportation in Bend is weak but there is some. Most of the Big Box Stores are on the north side of town and there is no housing around it. Most of Bend is safe -there are a few area that aren't. At the moment there is plenty of housing available for rent at reasonable rates. Bend is not a good place to move to right now if you don't have a job lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend