Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 AM

43 posts, read 252,069 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Baton Rouge or the surrounding areas. Neither of us have ever been there, so we need some feedback. We live in Beaufort,SC right now, moved here from Panama City Beach, FL about a year ago. I am not finding what I am looking for here, and the house prices are unreal. I work in office setting, my husband is a very skilled trim carpenter. What are anyones thoughts on us making it if we move??I am not looking for rich and fancy, that is where I am now and HATE it! Stuck up people drive me insane. I am just looking for a place to feel at home in. What does everyone think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM

23 posts, read 44,111 times
You would like Louisiana, in general...humble people. The crime in the metro areas is bad, though...

Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 PM

228 posts, read 445,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie88 View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Baton Rouge or the surrounding areas. Neither of us have ever been there, so we need some feedback.
Is this a real question? You're always going to find people who either love or hate their town.

Facts:
Traffic in Baton Rouge is bad for a city this size.

Crime is bad north of I-12 in Baton Rouge.

Families move to the suburbs fir safety and better schools (Prairieville, Dutchtown, Denham Springs)

If you hate humidity you'll hate south Louisiana.

If you enjoy fishing, hunting and drinking you'll love south Louisiana.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 16,468 times
My husband and I are originally from Mobile, Al, but have lived in Savannah, Ga for the past year. I'm not sure how similar Beaufort and Savannah are, but I absolutely adored Savannah, its much more liberal and generally a hundred times nicer than where we're from. The people are nicer, much more respectful, and while some are a bit snobbier, I was never treated badly.

That being said, I'm still from South Alabama. So I'm kind of biased against the socio-religion and total political-infusion of my home town, and I must admit at first was very reluctant to come back down to the Deep South. So far, so good, but Baton Rouge however, has still been a bit of a culture shock.

Firstly, the traffic here is at times horrendous. It seems some people just don't know/care how to drive. But besides that, people seem to either be really, really nice and laid back, or absolute classless jerks. So far, it seems to be about 60/40%.

I do really enjoy the local culture, but I just hope I can start to feel like I fit in eventually, since I'm an obvious outsider. Also, beware relocating to look for a new job. I left mine in Savannah to come here (husband got a big promotion) and as soon as I had a new one lined up the Governor enacted a state-wide hiring freeze which killed that. Not the best way to start off...

Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 PM

96 posts, read 338,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie88 View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Baton Rouge or the surrounding areas. Neither of us have ever been there, so we need some feedback. We live in Beaufort,SC right now, moved here from Panama City Beach, FL about a year ago. I am not finding what I am looking for here, and the house prices are unreal. I work in office setting, my husband is a very skilled trim carpenter. What are anyones thoughts on us making it if we move??I am not looking for rich and fancy, that is where I am now and HATE it! Stuck up people drive me insane. I am just looking for a place to feel at home in. What does everyone think???
Folks here are nice for the most part (obviously there are exceptions) but you should be able to fit it. I am not sure what you work in but construction is brutal right now so trim carpentry is going to be tough. I have some friends who do that and they have had to diversify. Home are expensive here as well so don't kid yourself in thinking it is cheaper here. If you go out of EBR then prices get better for recent/nice homes (although if you husband is in construction you could rehab a home in the right place (have patience, people here think they have gold).

good luck...

Old 07-21-2011, 05:15 AM

806 posts, read 879,502 times
Home prices in B.R. are not out of line with any other city this size . Less expensive than many .

Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Home prices here are the same for any metro it's size so don't let the whiners scare you. The problem is people in Baton Rouge compare their housing market to that of New Orleans, Alexandria, north LA and Lafayette but they fail to realize that BR's market is more $ because this is the largest metro in Louisiana. If you want a dirt cheap home then don't live in the most populated part of Louisiana.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
It isn't the most populated area in Louisiana.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It isn't the most populated area in Louisiana.
Fine. Most populated PARISH:

US 2010 Census:
E. Baton Rouge 440,171 residents
New Orleans 343,829 residents

Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,695,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcajungirl View Post
You would like Louisiana, in general...humble people. The crime in the metro areas is bad, though...
Crime in the "Metro Area" is not bad. Crime in "North Baton Rouge" is bad. North Baton Rouge being the area between Florida Blvd. and Blount Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge