Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,080 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am looking for some advice, and merci in advance. I am relocating to the BR area, probably Gonzales or somewhere around there in mid-July. Here's the kicker.....I am Canadian (let the bashing begin, I guess!!). I am moving down there for a change in life, a change in pace, and I am devouring websites like this for information. What I am most concerned with is 1. Will I be accepted down there, will I be able to make friends, or will I always be an outsider?; and 2. Are there employers who are willing to hire Canadians for work, or is there alot of American protectionism??? Just a question - I don't want to start a debate or anything. I have post-secondary education in buisness management, and have close to ten years experience in management positions with petro-chemical companies.

As I said before - I am eating up any and all information you can give me! I am really looking forward to coming down there! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 AM

794 posts, read 3,374,645 times
Default Bienvenue and Welcome

First all, welcome and best of luck.
I don't think you'll have much problem adapting into our little corner of the world. Like you said, you have management experience in petro chems which is a plus right there. Baton Rouge doesn't have much problem accepting outsiders. Gonzales isn't really any worse. I'm sure there are people who would stick out like a sore thumb in places like Ascension or Livingston, but Canadians are not one of them.
You also don't necessarily have to live in Ascension, unless you're doing so because of family, schools, etc. The drive from BTR is about 15-25 miles to the main chem plants in East Ascension and you'd probably be flowing against the bulk of BTR commuter traffic (although the chem plants do have their own rush hour traffic).
Making friends shouldn't be a problem; I'd say you should be open and accepting to the locals to get equal treatment, but you almost don't have to be. They'll still be intrigued by you and invite you over to BBQs, crawfish boils, sporting events, you name it. People for the most part are very friendly down here. Of course, as with any place, there are exceptions. Just depends on what crowd you get in with I guess.
My only true experience with Canadians down here, three years ago, we entertained a group of execs from Toronto who came down on business. All we did was drive them through LSU's campus and went to eat at Mike Andersons and they fell in love with the place. Hope you do as well.
(Oh, and I'm assuming you have a visa or have immigrated into the U.S. I imagine you could have problems finding a good job if you aren't permitted to work here, unless you're Mexican.
I didn't just say that ... I'm just kidding anyway. I love the hispanic culture and welcome a little more diversity. If they can bring me a love for soccer, maybe you canadians can bring me a love for some hockey.)

Again, best of luck to you.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM

42 posts, read 250,990 times
Honestly, most people here are open. You won't be shunned being a Canadian. Having experience in the petro-chemical industry will in no doubt be helpful as the core industry here is oil and gas. I'm not sure what type of change your looking for, but IMO the pace is a bit slow here, being that I'm originally from New Orleans. As far as empleyers hiring Canadians, I'm thinking if all your "papers" are in order, then you should not have any problems. Bienvenue a Baton Rouge! (I think I spelled that correctly). Check out these BR sites:

Official Baton Rouge Government Website
.:: 225BatonRouge.com ::.
2theadvocate.com | Powered by The Advocate and WBRZ News 2 Louisiana — Baton Rouge, LA

Old 10-15-2008, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,898 times
Hello fellow canadian;
i just came across this posting today, and would like to WELCOME you first of all.
We moved to new orleans from Toronto, 2 years ago, and have certainly enjoyed it.
Not sure if you are in the region already or not, but i am sure, one thing you will miss is the snow & cold.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 AM

135 posts, read 481,586 times
Ditto on all the other post.

Come on down, you can make a home any where and you will love it here!

I moved here in June and like it very much.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
mzb

29 posts, read 82,714 times
Acceptance is not that big an issue here- I am Asian and moved here from the East coast and have not have any issues. There are ignorant people everywhere and this place is no exception but for most part people are warm. Baton Rouge would be more "cosmopolitan" than Gonzales(I can't believe I am using the word Cosmopolitan and Baton Rouge in the same sentence). You have to understand that even though Baton Rouge is a city it has more of a small town feel to it. Things are looking up though and we have more in terms of shopping, restaurants and night life now than we had even three years ago.Gonzales I feel is still in its infancy.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:44 PM
mzb

29 posts, read 82,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzb View Post
Acceptance is not that big an issue here- I am Asian and moved here from the East coast and have not had any issues. There are ignorant people everywhere and this place is no exception but for most part people are warm. Baton Rouge would be more "cosmopolitan" than Gonzales(I can't believe I am using the word Cosmopolitan and Baton Rouge in the same sentence). You have to understand that even though Baton Rouge is a city it has more of a small town feel to it. Things are looking up though and we have more in terms of shopping, restaurants and night life now than we had even three years ago.Gonzales I feel is still in its infancy.
Good luck with your move.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:06 AM
MXP

2 posts, read 11,632 times
I am a Canadian and have lived in the States for 12 yrs- my advise - think about what you are doing and do your research. How do you plan on dealing with Immigration? In order to get a NAFTA Tn1 visa you need to have an employer who has offered you work (in one of the categories approved by NAFTA) . Unfortunately it is often difficult to convince an employer to hire you because you do not have a social security number. You have to have one to work however in order to get a visa you have to have a job. Canadian's can be in the States for 6 months as "tourist" but most border guards will ask you to prove that you can support yourself down here for that long. I am just being realistic. I moved down 12 yrs ago as a "tourist" and I went through hell. I could not rent an apartment or even get a bank account because I did not have an american licence or social. I want you to look at things realistically and understand that it is not just as simple as moving here. There are also culture shock- do not expect this to be in any way the same as Canada. We speak english that is about where the similarities end. The south is a world unto itself.

In terms of being an outsider- I lived in NC for years and NEVER felt like I belonged- however the people here are warm and friendly and have never made me feel like I don't belong. I like it here but it is flat and VERY VERY hot in the summer- hoter than is even possible for a Candian to imagine. I thought I had landed in Hell- however the winter is glorious and mild. The crime rate is enormous compared with any metro Candian city and if you do come be careful what part of the city you move to.

So would I do it again- I am not sure- would I move back to Canada? Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge