Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times

Advertisements

Where do you think they would rank in terms of all-time great teams? What would this be, 5 in 10 years? I would love to see them play the Bulls during their Jordan-era peak, or maybe against the Showtime Lakers.
On first thought, I said to myself, "Oh yeah, they're good, but they'd never beat THOSE teams", but now I'm not so sure.
I say if they win this year, they must be considered one of the greatest teams of all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 03:50 PM

463 posts, read 1,292,455 times
Never happen.....The Spurs are not that good....just lucky.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
sorry. they are a good team. and capable of calling themselves a dynasty (well maybe if they win one more championship) but the spurs werent capable of beating the Lakers consistently during the Kobe/Shaq era.
If I recall, the Kobe/Shaq Lakers were above the Spurs

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM

385 posts, read 626,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
Never happen.....The Spurs are not that good....just lucky.
You're ridiculous. How do you win 3 championships by luck? They won it through teamwork and great leadership under coach Pop. What disgusts me about people like you...and most of the national sports media as a whole actually...is that most of the time they spin a Spurs win by saying that the Spurs never really won it...but that the other team fumbled and didn't do their best and lost. It's stupid.
I think by now the Spurs deserve the respect that not many people gave them after winning their 1st and 2nd championships. Cheers to hoping for a 4th!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,299 times
The Spurs are already one of the greatest NBA teams. If they won this year, that would just boost their standings. I don't know how they would do against those teams that were mentioned, but they are one of the greatest teams ever! Com'on number 5!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,330 times
I agree, you don't win that many championships by just being lucky. Alot of people say they need to win a back to back to stamp their status. Guess, we'll see what happens the rest of the playoffs, their off to a terrific start.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:02 AM

152 posts, read 537,367 times
Spurs is a very good team, but *unbearable* to watch:
- they are very boring, too efficient, too by-the-book
- their flopping is ridiculous and disgusting. Ginobili flops all the time. Look at Parker flopping in Game 5, giving Amare his 5th foul. Clever, shrewd, but disgusting and unsportsmanlike.
- some of their wins were due to luck. e.g. a major reason why they were able to beat Phoenix in 2007 was because Amare and Diaw got suspended.

If the Spurs make it to the finals this year, I will not watch even one game!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:03 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
Spurs is a very good team, but *unbearable* to watch:
- they are very boring, too efficient, too by-the-book
- their flopping is ridiculous and disgusting. Ginobili flops all the time. Look at Parker flopping in Game 5, giving Amare his 5th foul. Clever, shrewd, but disgusting and unsportsmanlike.
- some of their wins were due to luck. e.g. a major reason why they were able to beat Phoenix in 2007 was because Amare and Diaw got suspended.

If the Spurs make it to the finals this year, I will not watch even one game!
They can be boring to watch, no doubt. But I think a real fan of the game (I'm not saying you are not one) can appreciate the way they play. Tim Duncan is insanely good no matter how you slice it. He cries, but don't most stars?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 PM

463 posts, read 1,292,455 times
Oh yes...hmm....sportsmanship....teamwork...
Like head butting etc....Give me a break. Cry babies for sure ...like the above post says....
Not one person on the Spurs can match the likes of Kobe or Lebron.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 AM

152 posts, read 537,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
They can be boring to watch, no doubt. But I think a real fan of the game (I'm not saying you are not one) can appreciate the way they play. Tim Duncan is insanely good no matter how you slice it. He cries, but don't most stars?
OK, I concede that many players flop to some extent. But the Spurs (especially Ginobili, Bowen) flop to the extent where it's become unbearably disgusting to watch. Especially when they benefit, or win a basketball game, out of it.

This is a very bad thing for basketball:
- Players/teams get rewarded because of their acting skills, i.e. deception, instead of their offensive/defensive skills and athleticism. Any basketball 'purist' would agree with me that this is extremely bad for the game.
- When somebody flops, the outcome is placed upon how the referees call a particular (flopping) incident, instead of how the players/coaches play the game. Worse yet, a single flop may decidedly alter the course of a game or even a playoff series.
- Particularly in Bowen's case, he has all kinds of defensive trickeries that have caused major injuries to opposing players.

That is why, no matter how good Ginobili or Bowen are, I hate them with PASSION.

If the NBA keeps tolerating flopping, theater/acting will become the major of choice of future college bball players instead of sports management. Or an NBA team will draft Will Smith or Jamie Foxx.

Last edited by revive; 05-06-2008 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball