Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,098,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
1. Isn't the NBA is supposed to evolve over time?
2. There are a lot of good teams that feature star players today, too.
3. So, no team stresses defense these days? Go look up the league average in PPG from 25 years ago compared to today.
1. Isn't the NBA is supposed to evolve over time? Yes, it is so why compare a guy who played in the NBA of the past to a current athlete??

2. There are a lot of good teams that feature star players today, too. The only issue is that a lot of them are in the same team..

3. So, no team stresses defense these days? Go look up the league average in PPG from 25 years ago compared to today. Dude, go read the post again. I said the NBA was more physical and more teams were into defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 01:49 PM

462 posts, read 428,305 times
How do you know more teams were into defense then compared to now?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM

266 posts, read 411,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
1. Isn't the NBA is supposed to evolve over time? Yes, it is so why compare a guy who played in the NBA of the past to a current athlete??

2. There are a lot of good teams that feature star players today, too. The only issue is that a lot of them are in the same team..

3. So, no team stresses defense these days? Go look up the league average in PPG from 25 years ago compared to today. Dude, go read the post again. I said the NBA was more physical and more teams were into defense.
Go look at NBA team statistics. The 1981-82 Nuggets averaged 126.5 points per game. Team point per game totals averaged in the 105-110 range back in the 80's to early 90's, now they average around 95-98 range. That would conclude teams are focusing on defense. I don't think guys necessarily focuses more or less now then they did in Jordans era, it's just a different game, but that stat doesn't help your case. I think it's hilarious when guys say that no one plays defense nowadays. If you watch old games from Wilt Chamberlain and guys back then you'll notice that most shots were not contested.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,105,799 times
jordan said only 4 playes in the nba today would have made it in "our time" (his words) tim duncan, kobe, lebron and DIRK???? huh?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,722,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Go look at NBA team statistics. The 1981-82 Nuggets averaged 126.5 points per game. Team point per game totals averaged in the 105-110 range back in the 80's to early 90's, now they average around 95-98 range. That would conclude teams are focusing on defense. I don't think guys necessarily focuses more or less now then they did in Jordans era, it's just a different game, but that stat doesn't help your case. I think it's hilarious when guys say that no one plays defense nowadays. If you watch old games from Wilt Chamberlain and guys back then you'll notice that most shots were not contested.
They may be focusing more on defense but...

That means they are also focusing less on fast break offense, offensive floor spacing and full court offenses.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,637,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
1. Isn't the NBA is supposed to evolve over time?
2. There are a lot of good teams that feature star players today, too.
3. So, no team stresses defense these days? Go look up the league average in PPG from 25 years ago compared to today.
That's just it, the league hasn't evolved, it's regressed. Sure, the players are more talented, but the basketball IQ is way lower and the fundamentals aren't there. Majority of these kids don't even play more than a year of college basketball. Don't let your emotion and youth spoil your opportunity for wisdom here. I'm neither old nor super young so I see both sides.

To those projecting on Jordan's reason for saying this about Kobe, grow up. You don't know so don't throw it out there as to why he said it. From an eye test, Kobe is more of a killer than Lebron and way more clutch at this point. Lebron is amazing but if you watched what MJ did and saw more than just a few highlights but actually saw his games day in and out, you'd know there's no comparing the two players. Jordan did things I haven't seen done yet. Go look up when hev didn't just average a triple double but he had a triple double for like 11 games straight, now look at the stat line. Talk to me when Lebron does that. Or talk to me when Lebron can lead the league in scoring AND win defensive player of the year. Shoot, talk to me when Lebron's freethrow shooting is above 80% for his career. He's not clutch enough just yet, and to me that's more likely what Jordan was thinking in comparing the two. I'm not going to say he was but I'm not dumb enough to project and presume something negative like he's jealous or afraid. Only some kids would say something like that.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,253,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
Saw this statement on the newsfeed on ESPN earlier tonight. Do you think secretly that LeBron is more of a threat to Jordan, and that's why Jordan said this? Is Jordan really supporting Kobe, or does he want to inspire LeBron by making this statement? Whatever the case, LeBron's re-tweet was first class.
Nothing about LeBron is First class (or Kobe for that matter).

Kobe is better no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Lebron is still building his, so rings play no part in who the actual better PLAYER is, as in who's actually better on-court.
Reggie Miller, and Charles Barkley (among others), never won a championship. If they had won even one, I would say that it would put them higher up. Intangibles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Michael Jordan also picked Kwame Brown over Pau Gasol.

I agree with what Kevin Durant said though. If your going to judge players based on rings or accomplishments you have to wait till the end of their career. Whether Lebron ever gets to Jordans level remains to be seen but I think it's funny that so many people still hate on Lebron. The thing about Lebron is that I think he's finally starting to figure out the game in a way the all time greats do. Guys like Kobe and Michael are not only great players but had a high basketball IQ. I think Lebrons basketball IQ is starting to catch up with his game.
The thing about Jordan is that he had a lot of knowledge going into the NBA as opposed to catching in his 10th year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
This is just Mike feeling the heat of the "Lebron is better" talk that is going around today. Its just bitterness, nothing else. Sorry Mike, Lebron's better.
Well Jordan's 50 now so I hope an NBA player in his 20s could beat him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Why talk about anything at all, ever. Let's only talk about the future and what may be. Once a moment has passed, never mention it again.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,713,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post

Reggie Miller, and Charles Barkley (among others), never won a championship. If they had won even one, I would say that it would put them higher up. Intangibles.

In terms of career achievements, yes it probably would. I do think it's silly of Jordan to make the 5 beats 1 argument in determining who's better on-court. It's achievements vs ability, two very different arguments. Kobe unquestionably has had the longer, more distinguished career but as I stated, Lebron is still building his. In terms of on-court ability and impact, one can make an argument that 28 year old Lebron impacts the game across the board moreso that 28 year old Kobe. In terms of accomplishments, Lebron at 28 has 3 MVPs and 1 ring. Kobe had 3 rings and zero MVPs(didn't win his first until 29). From a team standpoint, Kobe comes out ahead while one can easily argue that Lebron individually accomplished more. One can only guess how many rings Lebron would have if he had Shaquille Oneal from the outset of his career.

The whole 'top 10/15/20/50' list is highly subjective anyway because everyone has different judging criteria.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,144,261 times
Self-involved Michael Jordan just wants us to continue talking about who's the best. Now he's planting seeds against Lebron James because it is unlikely Kobe Bryant can catch Jordan to be deemed the best ever, but Lebron can.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,713,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Self-involved Michael Jordan just wants us to continue talking about who's the best. Now he's planting seeds against Lebron James because it is unlikely Kobe Bryant can catch Jordan to be deemed the best ever, but Lebron can.
Was this a comment he made randomly, or he was asked about it? The media quite obviously likes asking these kinds of questions because it often makes for juicy soundbites. Lebron may very well wind up a 'greater' player than Kobe, but I think we sometimes forget just how ridiculous prime Kobe was. It's not insane for someone to pick Kobe over Lebron just looking at ability, they're two different types of players and it may be a case where Jordan simply has a preference for how Kobe approaches the game and his skillset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball