Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,063,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
There is a long way to go, but I would lean towards the 76ers at this point. You would have to think a shortened season would be the hardest on an old team, and I wouldn't blame the Cs one bit if they end up resting guys the last month. They would rather be a healthy 5 seed, then break their backs to get the 3/4 spot I bet.
Well the way it looks now the Celtics will be a 7th or 8th seed and will play the Heat or Bulls and get eliminated in round 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 PM

78,543 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Well, you have Chicago and Miami in the top tier.
You have Atlanta, Indiana and Philly in the next tier.
then you have Orlando and Boston
the 8th spot will be fought over by some sub-par team like Cleveland, milwaukee, Knicks etc.

Boston could arguably make 6th seed and as such MIGHT be able to knock off a 3-seed from the 2nd tier of teams....assuming that Chicago or Miami don't wind up the 3-seed due to resting guys and peaking for the playoffs, injuries etc.

For example, with Deng out, if the Bulls lost Rose for 10 days and went 1-5 that might be enough to drop them to a 4th seed for the playoffs where no one would want to be the 5th seed.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, you have Chicago and Miami in the top tier.
You have Atlanta, Indiana and Philly in the next tier.
then you have Orlando and Boston
the 8th spot will be fought over by some sub-par team like Cleveland, milwaukee, Knicks etc.

Boston could arguably make 6th seed and as such MIGHT be able to knock off a 3-seed from the 2nd tier of teams....assuming that Chicago or Miami don't wind up the 3-seed due to resting guys and peaking for the playoffs, injuries etc.

For example, with Deng out, if the Bulls lost Rose for 10 days and went 1-5 that might be enough to drop them to a 4th seed for the playoffs where no one would want to be the 5th seed.
Indiana and Atlanta is not over the Sixers. Actually the hawks are a joke of a NBA team and should not be mentioned as a top team in the East. I have not decided on what the Pacers are at this time.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,498,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well the way it looks now the Celtics will be a 7th or 8th seed and will play the Heat or Bulls and get eliminated in round 1.
I think they are 6th worst case scenario. I think the Magic might be as low as 7, and the 8th is up for grabs. Ill go:

1) Chicago
2) Heat
3) Hawks
4) Pacers
5) 76ers
6) Celtic
7) Magic
8) Cavs (what the hell)

as always I plan on revising this lol

Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I think they are 6th worst case scenario. I think the Magic might be as low as 7, and the 8th is up for grabs. Ill go:

1) Chicago
2) Heat
3) Hawks
4) Pacers
5) 76ers
6) Celtic
7) Magic
8) Cavs (what the hell)

as always I plan on revising this lol

Can you give me a detailed intelligent answer as to why you feel the sixers will end up at a 5 seed when they will clearly win the division and finished at number 3 seed? And the Hawks are not a good team i seen them play more than once this year and they stink.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:27 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,498,060 times
Quote:
Can you give me a detailed intelligent answer as to why you feel the sixers will end up at a 5 seed when they will clearly win the division and finished at number 3 seed? And the Hawks are not a good team i seen them play more than once this year and they stink.
tbh I was just listing the best 8 records as I predict and didn't put much though into the reseed for the division winners. Actually forgot completely about it probably because I think its a dumb rule.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Quote:
Indiana and Atlanta is not over the Sixers. Actually the hawks are a joke of a NBA team and should not be mentioned as a top team in the East. I have not decided on what the Pacers are at this time.
Hawks are inconsistent but they aren't that bad. They gave the Bulls a good fight last year. As long as they have a core of Horford, Smith and Johnson, they will always be in the mix. I definitely don't think they are 3rd seed good, but they are definitely better than Boston and Orlando.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I wasn't putting the hawks or indy over philly. IF you were to look at my post I roughly lumped them together as "2nd tier" meaning their playoffs is going to end the minute they run into the Bulls or Heat.

The only chance the 76ers etc. have of seeing the ECF is if injury etc. winds up putting the Bulls and Heat in the same bracket as 2-3 seeds or 1-4 seeds etc.

P.S. The Hawks are as good as Philly. Sorry to break it to you. You'll be back down to earth by Valentines day. Go look at Phillys schedule. Philly has also played a ton of home games so far. Wait for it....wait for it........

Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I wasn't putting the hawks or indy over philly. IF you were to look at my post I roughly lumped them together as "2nd tier" meaning their playoffs is going to end the minute they run into the Bulls or Heat.

The only chance the 76ers etc. have of seeing the ECF is if injury etc. winds up putting the Bulls and Heat in the same bracket as 2-3 seeds or 1-4 seeds etc.

P.S. The Hawks are as good as Philly. Sorry to break it to you. You'll be back down to earth by Valentines day. Go look at Phillys schedule. Philly has also played a ton of home games so far. Wait for it....wait for it........
The hawks already lost to the Sixers last week and I don't expect the Sixers to get beyond the 2 round since they will be facing the Bulls or Heat.

I think the Sixers blow out the Lakers next week, not sure about the Clippers

Old 01-31-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The hawks already lost to the Sixers last week and I don't expect the Sixers to get beyond the 2 round since they will be facing the Bulls or Heat.

I think the Sixers blow out the Lakers next week, not sure about the Clippers
I never make single game predictions. I just highly doubt that the 76ers will finish the season with their current win % due to their early schedule being packed with easier games and a lot more home games.

They will very likely be the 3-seed so they need to pray to god that the Heat lose their division to the hawks (injuries only way that's happening) and so the Hawks are the 2-seed, Bulls are 1 and Heat 4.

That way 76ers can actually get to the ECF with only the Hawks in their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball