Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 PM

10,177 posts, read 20,796,770 times

Advertisements

Over the top? Not for ESPN. We're talking about a network full of idiotic sportscasters and analysts who marketed and hyped an hour of primetime television so an ego-maniac can hold a press conference and talk about himself in the third person. If ever an event should have had a circus tent thrown over it, it was this one. Almost as pathetic as Tiger Wood's press conference...almost.

BTW, I thought Jim Gray was going to propose to Lebron the way he was fawning over him. ESPN, stooping to new lows with each spoiled athlete that tops their respective league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,437,365 times
It reminded me of WWF wrestling.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,035,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Does anybody else think that ESPN went way over the top presenting this decision? They even gave it a name: The Decision. LeBron James' humility stands in stark contrast to ESPN's idolatry.

Maybe ESPN can turn The Decision into a drama mini-series every spring/summer and follow Brett Favre around until he makes a decision on whether or not he's going to keep playing football.
Lebron's mistake was that he should have been more adult about it. He should have talked to the NBA clubs that showed an interest, made his decision and then informed the owners of the non-selected teams of his decision. As it was, he told them over ESPN. The Cavs owner particularly should have been informed in a dignified way. The Cavs owner himself acted idiotically, but that aside, he employed Lebron since he turned pro and made him a millionaire. LeBron should have the courtesy to let him know of his decision personally.

On the other side of the coin, a coach should not tell a player he has been cut or traded via email, through the media, or anyway other than personally and with dignity. Just because a person is a huge sports star doesn't make him immune to a-holeism.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,534,772 times
And why the Boys and Girls club of Greenwich, CT? That's like going to the Boys and Girls Club of Beverly Hills......
would have looked more credible (not by much though, still cheesy and tacky), if he did it at even the B and G club of Harlem, Bronx, someplace like that....

Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,178,554 times
Why didn't he just give me the money?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,774,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Jerry Jones is pushing for the same set up in the NFL. No cap no revenue sharing of TV money. If he suceeds I am done with all pro sports. It will kill the NFL. Bye bye Steelers, Packers, Vikings, Browns, Bills, Ravens, Etc...
The Steelers will be fine even without a salary cap. Not only does the front office have a proven approach, but their games get good TV ratings. Among "small market" NFL teams, the Steelers probably have the least to worry about.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:58 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,550,819 times
Yes, way over the top! I gotta wonder about Lebron's management team though. Ever since he fired his old management/marketing firm, his new team(high school buddies) hasn't really done much to improve his image. It was their decision to get ESPN to host this which they gladly obliged. I guess it will take years of learning on the job. You gotta wonder if his decision to leave Cleveland was heavily influenced by his 'team'. What's done is done i guess.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,036,175 times
Im sure this was all ESPN's doing, they are all over his nuts, Im surprised they didnt just commit the NFL draft to Tim Tebow.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times
'Decision' of LeBron James draws third-largest on cable TV in 2010 - ESPN

I admit I watched, more because I thought it was a potential trainwreck...and it was. I thought, LeBron can't have that much lacking in the self awareness department as to give Cleveland the finger like this. I thought it was a lock he would stay with the Cavs with this TV show, it was the only scenario in which he'd look good.

I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball