Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 PM

52,731 posts, read 48,056,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Dodgers, Rockies, Diamondbacks the Cubs. Even though the Cubs have a following larger than the state of Wisconsin they also attract an absurd amount of "FWF's"
MC, I never thought the Dodgers would be that bad. Granted, it's California, but out of all the Cali teams, I've seen more loyalty with the Dodgers than with anyone else. Dodger Stadium usually has a very enviable attendance average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
houston astros! hell any team in any sport in the city of houston. if the team is winning the whole city has their back, lose a few in a row or what not and the whole city wants to string up the owner, coach, players, trainers, water boy, mascot, cheerleaders (ok maybe note the cheerleaders). you get the idea.

worst fan base in any city i have ever lived. i see more support for high school teams then these guys half the time.
Maybe from time to time, but the Astros have a better fan base than the Rangers, by comparison. Could it be better than it has been? Yes. The Astros can brag that Minute Maid has drawn three million people four times since the park's opening in 2000. Rangers Ballpark in Arlington has never had 3 million people in a park that opened six years before Houston's, and Arlington has 10,000 more seats!

There are worse fan bases in MLB. Try both Florida locations, although Tampa-St Pete could be on the upswing. And let's not forget Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,170,392 times
I'd say the Indians and the Twins. Unfortunately my Yankees have a ton of bandwagon fans as do most larger market teams especially if you have another team nearby. In the 80's especially when the Mets were winning,I noticed alot of people who were supposedly fans all of a sudden came out of the woodwork.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,139,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'd say the Indians and the Twins. Unfortunately my Yankees have a ton of bandwagon fans as do most larger market teams especially if you have another team nearby. In the 80's especially when the Mets were winning,I noticed alot of people who were supposedly fans all of a sudden came out of the woodwork.
You might be right on the Twins tho I think it's pretty hard to evaluate that because you would really need to see what the local culture is like from a hometown perspective. Even then, you can't get a good comparison about how the other fan bases support their teams during the bad times from that same (impartial) hometown perspective which would be hard to do for more than a handful of teams that you could realistically evaluate.

That said, quit going to North Star Games in the mid-eighties because of all the complaints from the new-wave, sit-on-your-hands-and-drink-your-wine neophytes that were offended if you dared stood up and raised your voice (not talking about f-bombs and such).

I believe we may also be leaders in heading for the exits three-quarters of the way through a game, especially if we're down by even the slimmest of margins. Most of the talk radio ("Flagship" station in particular) and their callers have written off the Twins every year for the past three or four years sometime in early July even though they have managed to scrap their way back into the thick of things in each of those years.

Can't help but think we may be close to the top of this embarrassing ranking.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm not so sure as far as the Twins are concerned, and they have won in recent years. When they filled up the Metrodome, that was said to be the loudest ballpark in the major leagues, and the fans used it to their advantage. Now, that, of course, changes when Target Field opens in a few weeks, but I don't believe the Twins' fan base is that bad. Fair-weather fans can be found in any town or city.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,113,635 times
I think there are many fair weather fans in every city, and they come out when said team is winning.

I was living in South Florida in 2003 and the Marlins were drawing 60,000 fans during the late season playoff push and throughout the playoffs and WS.

that's slightly more than they normally average.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,848,543 times
I'm definitely seeing hordes of bandwagon Phillies fans now that they've had success. Every online board I go onto, it seems there's more and more unknowledgable fans who know nothing about this team beyond 2 years ago. Case in point, the people who will not stop whining about Cliff Lee....the bandwagoners don't realize how good we have it as Phillies fans now...this may just be this franchise's best run ever, right up there with the late 70s teams. After growing up as a fan of a mostly awful Phillies teams...I'm not whining about anything now...we probably have the best offense in baseball and arguably one of the best rotations...that an elite pitcher like Roy Halladay wanted to be a Phillie and was willing to sign for a discount to come here is a testament to how the Phillies frnachise had turned around....not too long ago, guys begged to get out of Philly, and no top free agents want to play here...Scott Rolen left and actually took less money from the Cardinals than what the Phillies were offering.
Its a great time to be a Phillies fan, but the bandwagon fans are definitely coming out of the woodwork.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,090,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'm definitely seeing hordes of bandwagon Phillies fans now that they've had success. Every online board I go onto, it seems there's more and more unknowledgable fans who know nothing about this team beyond 2 years ago. Case in point, the people who will not stop whining about Cliff Lee....the bandwagoners don't realize how good we have it as Phillies fans now...this may just be this franchise's best run ever, right up there with the late 70s teams. After growing up as a fan of a mostly awful Phillies teams...I'm not whining about anything now...we probably have the best offense in baseball and arguably one of the best rotations...that an elite pitcher like Roy Halladay wanted to be a Phillie and was willing to sign for a discount to come here is a testament to how the Phillies frnachise had turned around....not too long ago, guys begged to get out of Philly, and no top free agents want to play here...Scott Rolen left and actually took less money from the Cardinals than what the Phillies were offering.
Its a great time to be a Phillies fan, but the bandwagon fans are definitely coming out of the woodwork.
Kind of like the Eagles "fans" whining about McNabb and Reid...

Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,508,392 times
Yeah, I think a fair answer to this question is: "the good teams." After 05, I saw more ChiSox fans then ever, which really chapped my arse because being a Sox fan in Chicago in the late 90s and early 2000s sucked, we were ok, but with the over the top obnoxious cubs fans, being a sox fan was no treat. Then all the sudden the Sox were the darling of the city, over 1.5 million at the parade???Where the F were you people before when I was walking up to comiksey and getting 3rd row seats with no problem.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I think there are many fair weather fans in every city, and they come out when said team is winning.

I was living in South Florida in 2003 and the Marlins were drawing 60,000 fans during the late season playoff push and throughout the playoffs and WS.

that's slightly more than they normally average.

That was fun to watch, aardvarks. Wait until the Marlins move into their sleek, new retractable-roof yard in 2012 and let's see if the fans will then respond. I'll bet they will come out, and by that time, the Fish may be a consistent contender.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 PM

319 posts, read 635,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I can attest to it being like that in Milwaukee too. They're setting attendance records, but hardcore fans are going less and less because it's a less enjoyable experience, even with a winning club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball