Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 8,843 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently retired and are planning to move to Bangor in May. Can you please advise on some nice apartments that we can check out. This is temporary until we can find some nice property to settle into. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
That seem's an unsual move.

Retirement is a good reason among many others tomove to Maine; I'm doing it.

Why do you want to move to Bangor? What caused you to want to move there?

Have you checked with any Brokers? Have you checked Craig's List?

zarathu

Old 11-29-2009, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 8,843 times
Did some work for Vestas up there and fell in love. Great city, great people.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Great attitude. Welcome.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:41 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
I would suggest checking out the Bangor paper online edition. Look at the tabs near the top for the classifieds... they have a section for rentals...

If you find someting interesting, try google mapping the address. Many addresses in Bangor have "street view" where you can do a virtual walk down the block.

I would also be willing to do a "drive by" and give you my impression of some places, if you want to DM me addresses... I live about half an hour north of Bangor and am in town every Tuesday for shopping...

Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Rent Bangor Maine Lists Apartments, Houses, Vacation Properties and Commercial Leased Space in Bangor, Maine and Surrounding Areas

Welcome and good luck.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnieVill View Post
My wife and I recently retired and are planning to move to Bangor in May. Can you please advise on some nice apartments that we can check out. This is temporary until we can find some nice property to settle into. Thanks
Congratulations on retirement

I think that your plan sounds great. It is smart to move first into temporary housing, and then use that as a base of operations as you scout out a permanent home.

Welcome to Maine

Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
I lived in Bangor for twenty years and my parents and many friends are still there. It is a great small city but there are some sections you may want to avoid. There are not many apartment complexes there. Most rentals are older single unit structures divided up into apartments. Craigs list is also a good place to find apartments.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:11 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Default not juast a nice place....

I have lots of experience(self and parents) about moving to a "nice" place with "great" people.

Every place I've lived or my parents lived while they were alive was a nice place with great people.

The problem is that the "great" people may not necessarily be people with the same interests as you. If these people don't have similar interests as you, you may live in a great place and be very lonely. This is what happened to my parents in retirement. They moved to a lovely little town, but everyone there already had friends and the elderly people(they were 58 at the time) were not interested in getting new friends.

Some things to check on:

Retirement associations locally with events.

A senior College if you want to keep active learning

A church that is the same as the one you have now so you can transfer, and one that is either conservative or liberal as you are.

Places to volunteer that you will want to join.

Possibilities for part time employment in the job that you retired from for a feeling of being useful

Possibilities to use your hobbies or skills for involvement with others or income.

An active Retirement village locally that would allow you to particpate with some of its events.

Any place can be great if you already have friends and family living nearby. But if you move a great distance away, you will need to find new friends, and you will need to do it with people who also want to find new friends, and they need to be your age.

zarathu

Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
You might consider checking out "Bradford Commons" on Husson Avenue, right near Husson University. It is also right near the Broadway Shopping Center. My son has lived in that complex for about 14 years. He has a one bedroom but they also have 2 bedroom. Comes with all kitchen appliances, including dishwasher. You can choose from first or second floor. They are very good about taking care of anything that needs fixing. Heat is included in the rent. Husson students mostly live within commuting distance or in dorms on the campus, so Bradford Commons is not used as student housing.

Welcome to Bangor! We have lived here for decades and are transplants from MA. I think you will enjoy the community as there are many activities you can choose from. One of my favorite is attending the plays that are produced by the Penobscot Theater Company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area