Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 8,062 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I (and 2 young kids) are relocating to Bangor later this year. We are considering purchasing a home in town, either in Little City or Fairmount neighborhoods (but not sure which is preferable)...can anyone give us some advice? We would like to live in a nice upkept neighborhood with other professionals who have young families. Would appreciate any input, as we do not know the area very well...

Thanks so much
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM

625 posts, read 792,570 times
I would recommend a visit. Tour the area and see whats there.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
Littlie City is a nice, old area. Used to live there about 10 years ago. Definately go check it all out. Bangor is a nice city. Lots to do and not far from a lot of other interesting places.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
I lived in Little City (or, I suppose, the "outskirts" of it, as I think technically the neighborhood started one street behind us. It's a great neighborhood, with a cute little park with playground. It's an easy walk downtown, too. Kids go the the Mary Snow school for I think 2-4 grade? That's supposed to be a good school. I'd recommend it.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Welcome. Here's a link:

Welcome to the City of Bangor

Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
I've lived in both neighborhoods. They both have a park, beautiful old homes, and a very nice neighborhood feel. I lived on Webster Ave in Fairmount, and on Fountain St in Little City. I loved them both, and they are both good choices. If I could only choose one? I'm not sure which I'd choose! In Little City you have a built in sliding hill at Posie's Mansion, if they're still as great to the kids as they used to be. In Fairmount you'd be closer to the water park for summer and that hill nearby for sliding. Fairmount also is closer to the golf course and the Auditorium. I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Even when I consider schools~ 14th Street or Abraham Lincoln, or Fairmount or Mary Snow, they're all good. Although, I like the Cohen School (Little City side) better than the Doughty School for 6-8 grades. Of course, if you're not looking at public schools at all that's not going to impact your decision. I think you have the ability to base your decision solely on the property available and what you like best, because you've chosen two fabulous neighborhoods!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,062 times
Thank you for all your posts. The comparison of both neighborhoods really helps give us good perspective. We are looking to make this our home for a long time, so the information on the schools is wonderful. We have noticed that there seems to be quite a few homes for sale in little city alone. We were not sure if that meant anything negative towards the future of that neighborhood.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:08 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
I live in Fairmount right now and have for years. We love it here. Neighbors seem to care about each other without being at all intrusive. If you play golf you most likely would be able to walk to the course from most streets in this area. There is a neighborhood across from the golf course called "Fairways" with homes about 10 or so years old. I think they run about $300K and up right now. Crestmont Road has homes a bit older and a bit more modest in price. Homes on Boutelle, Royal,and Norway tend to be older and closer together but they all have a certain charm of the early 1900's. Webster Avenue is desirable but has a bit more traffic.

Both the Little City area and Fairmount are close to the interstate.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 PM

47 posts, read 98,585 times
There are also some nice homes and families on the east side in the "tree" streets. Schools are Lincoln (lower elementary), Mary Snow (upper elementary), William Cohen (middle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area