Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 20,947 times

Advertisements

I am currently working as a librarian in a public elementary school in DC one of the "better" ones, supposedly, although not one of the really elite ones. Anyway, it's not that great, discipline-wise, but not all that horrible either, The administration, however, is a different story, and I'm looking to make a switch. Suburban schools, it seems, aren't hiring too many librarians this year due to the budget crunch, older librarians not retiring, whatever, so the urban school systems seem to be the only ones with openings. I received notification that I am in the BCPS (city, not county) pool and that they'll try to match me up with an opening, and I want to be somewhat happy and hopeful about this possible ticket out of DC - when it comes to a place to live, I much prefer Baltimore, I like the fact that it's smaller, less congested, less expensive. I've lived in Baltimore and DC and I just like Baltimore more, I do not need a list of reasons why I should prefer DC.

What I do want to know, however, is how the BCPS school horror stories compare to the DCPS ones. You hear pretty much nothing but awful things about Baltimore public schools, but this is true for DC, too. I'm looking not just as a potential school employee, but also as a parent, as my now-kindergarten-aged son is with me at my current school, and wherever I work next year, he'll be with me for 1st grade. If I am offered a job at the worst of the worst schools I will not take it, for both of our sakes,but I'm thinking that just as there are a few just okay schools in the DCPS system (and I'd categorize our current school as more or less "okay", apart from the administration), there are probably some just okay ones in Baltimore as well. Yes? No? Maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM

258 posts, read 1,011,007 times
badchoice is just a little off base here...as are most people terrified of their shadow.

There are quite a few good to great choices for Baltimore city schools. The one I teach at now is not only extremely safe, but has absolutely wonderful students. They come from a variety of backgrounds but the school staff makes the environment fun and inviting. Quite frankly, I never thought I would be happier teaching...and I have taught in two schools in Baltimore and prior to that 6 years in Omaha.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 20,947 times
Thanks! Feedback from someone with actual BCPS experience is just what I wanted - I mean, I've heard the horror stories about DCPS too and they do not correlate with my experience, so I just figured that any large urban district comes in for its share of these. Greatschools.net does have a lot of positive reviews from parents and students about some of the BCPS elementary schools, but I did not know of any specific forums to ask teacher opinions so I tried this one - knowing full well that there are always those on here who are extremely negative about every place and seem to want to recruit others to share the hate. While I personally would rather live in Baltimore than DC for a number of reasons (not least of which is that my son and I are both big Orioles/Ravens fans), I'd never try to dissuade anyone from making the reverse move.

And as far as the school system goes - it seems to me like maybe Baltimore City gets a certain amount of support/opportunities to share resources from the state office of education, whereas DC has no state so what DCPS has is basically what it has...anyway, this seems to me to be a point in Baltimore's favor. Your endorsement is another point (or more). Yay Baltimore! Hope they need lots of elementary school librarians.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user100 View Post
you should probably listen to someone without a vested interest.

I have no "vested" interest, (whatever he is talking about). I happened to go by Hopkins today to watch the Baltimore City Schools compete for Chess. There were about 200 students there and I was just amazed. About two weeks ago, there were articles in the paper about test scores rising once again for the first and second graders. By the way, at the Chess tournament, I was watching children of every race playing the game. Anyone who thinks all the schools in this city are horrible needs to do his or her homework. There are plenty of decent schools in the city along with plenty of decent students.
Most people who speak horribly about the schools are talking from absolutely no experience what so ever and make glaring generalizations and incorrect summaries.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,151 times
Interested in starting a forum on Tench Tilghman Elementary/Middle and the good work the new principal is doing there!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM

239 posts, read 759,430 times
In Feb/March I'm teaching a six week course "Basics of Personal Finance" to several high schools in the Baltimore area.

Not the first time I've taught this class in an inner city. I've got several to compare this to, so I'll let you know how it really is.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 AM

342 posts, read 912,208 times
Default Same S### Different Toilet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarising View Post
I am currently working as a librarian in a public elementary school in DC one of the "better" ones, supposedly, although not one of the really elite ones. Anyway, it's not that great, discipline-wise, but not all that horrible either, The administration, however, is a different story, and I'm looking to make a switch. Suburban schools, it seems, aren't hiring too many librarians this year due to the budget crunch, older librarians not retiring, whatever, so the urban school systems seem to be the only ones with openings. I received notification that I am in the BCPS (city, not county) pool and that they'll try to match me up with an opening, and I want to be somewhat happy and hopeful about this possible ticket out of DC - when it comes to a place to live, I much prefer Baltimore, I like the fact that it's smaller, less congested, less expensive. I've lived in Baltimore and DC and I just like Baltimore more, I do not need a list of reasons why I should prefer DC.

Replying to an old thread!!

What I do want to know, however, is how the BCPS school horror stories compare to the DCPS ones. You hear pretty much nothing but awful things about Baltimore public schools, but this is true for DC, too. I'm looking not just as a potential school employee, but also as a parent, as my now-kindergarten-aged son is with me at my current school, and wherever I work next year, he'll be with me for 1st grade. If I am offered a job at the worst of the worst schools I will not take it, for both of our sakes,but I'm thinking that just as there are a few just okay schools in the DCPS system (and I'd categorize our current school as more or less "okay", apart from the administration), there are probably some just okay ones in Baltimore as well. Yes? No? Maybe?
Both my parents worked for the school system at some point in their lives and they attempted to get me on the fast track to principal but it wasn't my thing! Baltimore and D.C. Demographically are very similar and the schools as far as performance are pretty much the same. Although as of recently Baltimore schools have gotten a little better. I think if you can handle D.C. Schools you'll be fine in Baltimore as well!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,315 times
I teach resource (music) in a Baltimore City public school. People who say horrible things about the district work at horrible schools. I know first hand that students can punch, slap, push staff members and central offices will tell you that it's not a big deal and its your fault and you can't suspend them nor will they give you the resources to get the students the help they need. Not all schools are like this, but most are. They shuffle violent offender students from school to school, not giving them any services until they comitt an offense violent enough to land them in the justice system. All the while they expect teachers, staff, and administrators to deal with it. However, when I student crosses personnel from central offices, then consequences are instituted for that student. I have had to call 911, I don't bother with school police anymore on several students. And I am one of the more beloved teachers at my school. My lesson plans are engaging, I stay after school to teach private lessons, was given no budget, so all the instruments and music and visuals in my classroom are mine. My things get destroyed with no consequences every day. I think my life would be a lot easier as a classroom teacher, but resource teachers in baltimore city are given no support whatsoever and you are just expected to babysit. For real. Several colleagues have just switched to classroom teaching, or moved out of state completely because they got burned out only after 2 or 3 years. Dealing with all the kids in the school, many with serious behavioral issues which the system is failing to give us resources to address is something that as a resource teacher is too daunting.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM

125 posts, read 286,599 times
The problem with Baltimore City schools in general is the complete lack of any parental support, except for a handful of the competitive schools like Western or City.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltmusicteacher View Post
I teach resource (music) in a Baltimore City public school. People who say horrible things about the district work at horrible schools. I know first hand that students can punch, slap, push staff members and central offices will tell you that it's not a big deal and its your fault and you can't suspend them nor will they give you the resources to get the students the help they need. Not all schools are like this, but most are. They shuffle violent offender students from school to school, not giving them any services until they comitt an offense violent enough to land them in the justice system. All the while they expect teachers, staff, and administrators to deal with it. However, when I student crosses personnel from central offices, then consequences are instituted for that student. I have had to call 911, I don't bother with school police anymore on several students. And I am one of the more beloved teachers at my school. My lesson plans are engaging, I stay after school to teach private lessons, was given no budget, so all the instruments and music and visuals in my classroom are mine. My things get destroyed with no consequences every day. I think my life would be a lot easier as a classroom teacher, but resource teachers in baltimore city are given no support whatsoever and you are just expected to babysit. For real. Several colleagues have just switched to classroom teaching, or moved out of state completely because they got burned out only after 2 or 3 years. Dealing with all the kids in the school, many with serious behavioral issues which the system is failing to give us resources to address is something that as a resource teacher is too daunting.
I don't know when or why discipline and expectations were removed from public schools but they need to be re-instituted immediately. These kids need to learn that there are consequences for one's actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: