Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

The link was to an article about the census projection process. The census bureau announced that they had miscalculated the projection for Baltimore City and that the actual population was higher than the bureau orginally thought. I am trying to find the article. If I do I will post it.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The link was to an article about the census projection process. The census bureau announced that they had miscalculated the projection for Baltimore City and that the actual population was higher than the bureau orginally thought. I am trying to find the article. If I do I will post it.
I'd be interested. Cities in decline always contest census figures as a way to increase federal dollars.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
I found the thread, it was "Baltimore's Greatness" Here is the text of the posting. The article was from the Sun. Unfortunately, the link was dead.

10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
chemistmcg
Junior Member Join Date: Oct 2007
4 posts, read 695 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy
Not to burst your bubble guest2, but the city is still hemorraging population at a very fast rate. Just about 20,000 in the last six year. Here are some stats from census.gov

1990 - 736,014
2000 - 651,154
2006 - 631,366

City rise in population hailed as turnabout -- baltimoresun.com

baltimore's population has actually gone up...

Old 03-07-2008, 02:22 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
This debate of population increase/decrease has been hashed to death previously on other threads. It depends on which source you choose but no one is correct until the census releases it's formal data in 2010. According to the projected demographics on Wikipedia and the Baltimore Sun article, it is actually projected to have a slight gain. But again, this has already been stated on previous threads. One source:
Baltimore, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2008, 02:37 PM

One very important factor in population growth for all urban areas has not been discussed yet; at least not intelligently. Studies have been done throughout the country on urban growth patterns and it's important to remember that as many families leave the center city, they are being replaced by singles without children or empty nesters. It is actually a good thing for cities because they do not have to provide the additional funds for children with schools,etc.
As Baltimore continues to change and improve, this is an important factor. Many families are choosing to live in suburbia while many singles are choosing the city. It certainly has been a factor in practically every other city. (DC as an example). I will not bother listing all of the sources for the information. Just do a web search and it's there. It is a growing trend throughout the country.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:40 AM

26 posts, read 70,354 times
Sorry to interrupt the flame war. I'm looking to invest in the patterson park area. More near the northeast side. By the restaurant Three. E. Baltimore St, E. Fairmount. E kenwood. Now, I've read posts with the generalized "crime is horrible there". "Patterson park is up and coming." Does anyone have comments regarding this particular hood. Personal experiences. I've read there are alot of people that want to go out, drinking have a good time, but everything is in Canton, fells etc. I think Patterson Park would be a great little niche market. thoughts? P.S. Sorry to the people who have faced violence and props to the people who defend their hood. Jesus, I said props.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 AM

171 posts, read 622,124 times
Smile Patterson Park is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbeaubeau View Post
Sorry to interrupt the flame war. I'm looking to invest in the patterson park area. More near the northeast side. By the restaurant Three. E. Baltimore St, E. Fairmount. E kenwood. Now, I've read posts with the generalized "crime is horrible there". "Patterson park is up and coming." Does anyone have comments regarding this particular hood. Personal experiences. I've read there are alot of people that want to go out, drinking have a good time, but everything is in Canton, fells etc. I think Patterson Park would be a great little niche market. thoughts? P.S. Sorry to the people who have faced violence and props to the people who defend their hood. Jesus, I said props.
I moved in recently and so far I have seen nothing to disappointment me. I would recommend the area to friends.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbeaubeau View Post

I am in the Patterson Park area. We have get-togethers for happy hours every now and then. Last Thursday, we had one at a neighborhood pub called "Sign of the Times". The next is at "Romans" on March 27th for happy hour. By the way Augie, I hope you have heard of these. We would love to see you there. Sign up for the newsletter and the information is available.
Anyway, try to attend that and you can get first-hand information from people in the neighborhood.
I think there is potential for investment in the area. And yes, the majority of the restaurants, bars, etc are in Canton or Fells Point but places that have invested in the area are doing pretty well. Butchers Hill recently got "Salt" which has become hugely popular in the area, drawing in customers from all over now. I have a friend who comes down to Salt or Three from Towson for nights out.
In terms of crime, I walk freely in the neighborhood during the day without any worry or fear. But, I take precautions while walking late at night. However, I take those same precautions anywhere. Kenwood runs north and south. Another good source if you are serious would be to talk with the folks here: ppcdc.org

Old 03-08-2008, 07:55 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,398 times
We looked on that side of the Park before buying on the west side. Didn't seem like an area we wanted to pioneer, but you may. We have friends on East St. near the Park who are not happy with the area. There are certainly some bargains over there. I guess you have to ask why.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 AM

757 posts, read 2,554,531 times
Census figures as a means of discussing a city's value are meaningless. Every older, northern city has experienced a significant population loss in the past couple of decades as people have moved to the suburbs or the sun belt. NYC is the exception, only because of a large number of immigrants.

It's like comparing apples to oranges when you compare a city like Baltimore, which has strictly defined boundaries that were set decades ago, to a sprawling city like Jacksonville, Phoenix, or Houston, which have room to expand and incorporate the suburbs into the city. Baltimore has a land area of 81 square miles compared to Houston, which has a land area of over 500 squares miles.

I think jonjj makes a really good point, too. Families with children may move out because they are concerned about the public schools, but they are replaced by even more singles and couples without children. Thus you could have a net population loss but a household gain that's difficult to quantify with census statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore