Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 103,330 times

Advertisements

I regret moving to Baltimore City everyday. BEWARE!!!! Future Residents. This city is hardcore. I live in Parkville City side. Upon first glance a quiet neighborhood with old homes and LARGE yards. hA Ha . I am not sure what is worst the crime or the treatment of the law abiding citizen.

First we had a drive by shooting. My husband heard the shots and ran out to a shot 16 year old girl. Shot three times with a sawed off shotgun by three hoods in a stolen car. He held her until the police got here, where he was dragged not ASKED but DRAGGED from behind away while the girl screamed in pain. Next the upset father arrived and the police threatened to put him in jail. Next day we found shot gun casings at the scene and called the police where they asked" Why were you looking for evidence. WOW

TOnight we noticed our sons car was missing the tags. The police didn't believe us. Questioned why other tags were not taken, why screws were still in THEY WERE NOT! How we could not have noticed before today!! Told my husband when he asked for officers badge number he was going to be arrested. After having a supervisor come to the scene we were told one tag is lost, two tags gone means a theft and they don't like to report stolen crime. YOu know cooking the books is BIG in Baltimore! THATS WHAT THE OFFICER SAID.

Funny my husband works on HBO'S the WIRE and many nights the drug dealers are selling in plain site of the police officers that guard the crew. NO action taken no arrests or even moved on. But we law abiding citizens are treated like criminals for reporting a crime. AND that is why there is NO HOPE for this city.

Bad schools , unsafe streets, horrible policies. I hate this place. We have 5 more years before we can leave and I am counting the minutes.

On a recent trip to Ohio I was asked by a stranger why do you live there. Good Question. Move anywhere in Maryland spend the extra money because there is no comparison in quality of life in the burbs compared to the City. My house is valued at 300,000 dollars and I feel like I live in the ghetto.

BEWARE ALL POTENTIAL CITIZENS and please PRAY for our safety until we leave.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 68,632 times
Why do you live in that area? All of Baltimore is not this way. I live in Federal Hill and our house is also valued in the 300,000's. There is no violet crime in our area and just minor petty theft. It is a lovely area. Baltimore is all about location.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM

165 posts, read 533,158 times
I'm not familiar with this area of Baltimore City, but as a resident to be I find this e-mail rather upsetting. I'm so sorry that you had to experience this in your neighborhood and your account of how the local police handled the situation is dismal. Do you have a neighborhood association that can address this incident with local district representative(s)? If you must suffer for 5 more years, might as well take some action. It will empower you.

What made you decide to live in the city and did you research your neighborhood prior to deciding to buy there? There's life in the burbs and life in the city. Granted, Baltimore is among one of the worst from what I've been hearing, but we all make our choice on what best fits our lifestyle and our level of tolerance. I hope that things work out for you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajoy View Post
I regret moving to Baltimore City everyday. BEWARE!!!! Future Residents. This city is hardcore. I live in Parkville City side. Upon first glance a quiet neighborhood with old homes and LARGE yards. hA Ha . I am not sure what is worst the crime or the treatment of the law abiding citizen.

First we had a drive by shooting. My husband heard the shots and ran out to a shot 16 year old girl. Shot three times with a sawed off shotgun by three hoods in a stolen car. He held her until the police got here, where he was dragged not ASKED but DRAGGED from behind away while the girl screamed in pain. Next the upset father arrived and the police threatened to put him in jail. Next day we found shot gun casings at the scene and called the police where they asked" Why were you looking for evidence. WOW

TOnight we noticed our sons car was missing the tags. The police didn't believe us. Questioned why other tags were not taken, why screws were still in THEY WERE NOT! How we could not have noticed before today!! Told my husband when he asked for officers badge number he was going to be arrested. After having a supervisor come to the scene we were told one tag is lost, two tags gone means a theft and they don't like to report stolen crime. YOu know cooking the books is BIG in Baltimore! THATS WHAT THE OFFICER SAID.

Funny my husband works on HBO'S the WIRE and many nights the drug dealers are selling in plain site of the police officers that guard the crew. NO action taken no arrests or even moved on. But we law abiding citizens are treated like criminals for reporting a crime. AND that is why there is NO HOPE for this city.

Bad schools , unsafe streets, horrible policies. I hate this place. We have 5 more years before we can leave and I am counting the minutes.

On a recent trip to Ohio I was asked by a stranger why do you live there. Good Question. Move anywhere in Maryland spend the extra money because there is no comparison in quality of life in the burbs compared to the City. My house is valued at 300,000 dollars and I feel like I live in the ghetto.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 134,271 times
Parkville is in Baltimore County not Baltimore City.

Face it, crime is everywhere. Why was the girl targeted?

Contact these people concerning your recent experience with the Baltimore County Police.

Police Community Relations Council (broken link)

Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Unfortunatley, it's experiences like this that give Baltimore the reputation it deserves. I know Baltimore very well, and if I had to, I would be able to find a suitible housing. But I choose to live "out in the boonies". The problems with this city are directly or indirectly shared by all neighborhoods.

To all the RA RA Baltimore is Great crowd, I don't see it. Yet.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 PM

54 posts, read 255,742 times
Quote:
I regret moving to Baltimore City everyday. BEWARE!!!! Future Residents. This city is hardcore. BEWARE ALL POTENTIAL CITIZENS and please PRAY for our safety until we leave.
Girl, I feel your pain! All you can do is advise others (like with this post) and keep a low profile in order to escape the madness unscathed.

I can't imagine the anxiety of living in Baltimore. I work in a fab city neighborhood . I check on my car several times a day. I dread winter when I arrive in the dark and leave when it's dark. I haven't carried a purse or briefcase in years. If I have paperwork, I put it in a plastic shopping bag. I don't carry cash-ever. I also have invested in alot of flat heeled shoes. I say it's a business expense. You don't want to be hobbled by heels when you may have to run for your life!

BTW, I imagine the B-more cheerleaders are insulated by wealth, naviete or pathological optimism.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM

233 posts, read 906,518 times
Quote:

Carney is an atlernative to living in Parkville. Carney is a small city/section in Parkville, but it is on the other side of I695 going north on Harford Rd. Carney isn't crime free, but there is less crime activity comapared to the rest of Parkville.

B'More has a lot of issues. And I do agree if you want to live in the city, you have to really research the area.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Regretful

First I do live in Baltimore City. I have a zipcode that is shared between county and city. Mail comes adrressed as Parkville although I live in Balto City. I am aware of my voting district and delegates.

Secondly I did investigate the area and that is the frustrating part. Crime was and is very minimal overall. After all this is Baltimore and we are the second most dangerous city over 500,000 in America. I love my street. 1 acre lot backs up to bamboo and woods. School for the Blind with their 500 acres of land to my right. We have foxes etc but I live in the city. We can ride bikes, a walk to little league games etc.

The problem is the policies. The number game of downgrading crimes lost versus stolen. The treatment of law abiding citizens. I just want a peace officer to be civil. All the energy put into the keeping the crime stats low only helps the inept politicians. Lets get real acknowledge our true crime stats and work from there. Hey if we drop to First most dangerous city so be it.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Well here are my neighborhood crime stats for 2 weeks in august of Baltimore Police online crime mapping site.

[SIZE=-1]Query Results[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Rec[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]CC #[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Crime[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Premise[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Date[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Location[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Post[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]District[/SIZE][SIZE=-2][CENTER]1[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H12602[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]BURG. RES. (NOFORCE)[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]ROW/TOWNHOUSE-OCC[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Fri, 24 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]37xx E NORTHERN PW[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]425[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Northeastern[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]2[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H12602[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]BURG. RES. (NOFORCE)[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]37xx E NORTHERN PW[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]3[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H12409[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]LARCENY- OTHER[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]OTHER - INSIDE[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]65xx EASTERN AV[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]232[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Southeastern[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]4[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H16076[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]STREET[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Thu, 30 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]72xx HARFORD RD[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]424[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]5[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H16607[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]AGG. ASSLT.- HAND[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Fri, 31 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]30xx E NORTHERN PW[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Here are yours. Seriously maybe you don't go outside or have kids to worry about. Federal Hill is fab for young childless white collar folks that like city life. or maybe your police officers treat you with more respect .[SIZE=-1]Query Results[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Rec[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]CC #[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Crime[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Premise[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Date[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Location[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Post[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]District[/SIZE][SIZE=-2][CENTER]1[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H09652[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]LARCENY- FROM AUTO[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Sat, 18 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]70xxKEY HWY[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]112[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Central[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]2[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H09482[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Sat, 18 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]10xxKEY HWY[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]3[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H10066[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Sun, 19 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]20xxKEY HW[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]4[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H10841[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]STOLEN AUTO[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Tue, 21 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]13xx S HANOVER ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]945[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Southern[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]5[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11876[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]PARKING LOT-INSIDE[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Wed, 22 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]10xxW OSTEND ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]942[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]6[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11874[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]7[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11785[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]1 xxCROSS ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]8[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11767[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]70xxCOVINGTON ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]9[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11767[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]10[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11868[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]11[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11895[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]12[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11375[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]PARKING LOT-OUTSIDE[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]80xxKEY HW[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]13[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H13441[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]BURG. OTH. (FORCE)[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]GARAGE ON PRIV. PROP[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Thu, 23 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]34xxWARREN AV[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]14[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H12497[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]40xxGRINDALL ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]15[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H11857[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]PARKING LOT-OUTSIDE[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]11xx S HANOVER ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]16[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H12275[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]17[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H12598[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]1 xxHUGHES ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]941[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]18[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H13057[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]11xx S HANOVER ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]19[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H13041[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]BURG. RES. (ATT.)[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Sat, 25 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]11xx WILLIAM ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]944[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]20[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H13502[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Sun, 26 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]11xx COVINGTON ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]21[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H14125[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Mon, 27 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]20xxKEY HW[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]22[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H14036[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]10xxKEY HW[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]23[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H13715[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]ROBB HIGHWAY (UA)[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]10xx LIGHT ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]24[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H14445[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]BURG. RES. (FORCE)[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Tue, 28 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]44xxGRINDALL ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]25[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H14585[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]12xx PATAPSCO ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]26[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H14722[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]8 xxHENRIETTA ST[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]27[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H15555[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Wed, 29 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]28[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H15192[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Wed, 29 Aug 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]29[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H15774[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]30[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07H15558[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]31[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]07I00512[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]Sat, 1 Sep 2007[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2][CENTER]30xxKEY HW[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default Self-inflicted wounds

Lisajoy -- I sympathize with you and your problems. However, I find it interesting that only four of the incidents you list are from your district and the rest -- 31, by my count -- are from Southern, Central and Southeastern districts, which are up to ten miles from where you live. Yet you package all this as "my neighborhood." Whazz with that? (Also, it's likely that one perp actually is responsible for most of those car break-ins in the Federal Hill area).
I guess the point you try to make is that crime is everywhere. So why not also list Western and Eastern and then we would be talking.
Baltimore is a big city with a serious crime problem, no question about that. But most Baltimoreans outside the ghetto are pretty much untouched by serious crime. They are mad as hell when their cars are broken into (because they left something -- anything -- on the back seat). They go bonkers when some hoodlum blares loud music at 4 a.m. or honks a horn outside their window. But few (white) middle-class Baltimoreans encounter violent crimes.
The current election is a good example. Mitchell has been trying to turn crime into an issue. He hasn't been very successful because it's not that big a deal to most voters.
When you compare Baltimore to other cities, including New York, you will find that most Baltimoreans don't have burglar bars or half a dozen locks and intruder devices like what you encounter in presumably good aras in The Bronx. That tells me something.
I lived for 11 years just blocks away from The Corner. We never were burglarized, held up or mugged. But if you left anything in your car, you took a chance with some miscreants. Over the years, we became so numbed that we did not even hear the frequent wail of fire engines during the night. However, even in sleep I could count the number of shots fired!
We now live in the city along the northwestern fringe. Our neighbors leave kids' bikes and baby carriages on the lawn overnight and they are still there in the morning. So everything is relative.

Last edited by barante; 09-08-2007 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore