Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 04:16 PM

923 posts, read 664,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
actually larger land area airports have abundant land for future expansions. this is planning for the longterm and IMO why Denver or Dallas will > Chicago or Atlanta in 30 years IMO.

Atlanta once planned a second airport in Chattanooga 100 miles away. I havent seen ATL in person but it sounds built out already IMO.

btw, more gates =/= better airport but more gates = more sustainable when more than one airline at the terminal is off schedule or during nor'easters lol
Atlanta is not built out yet at all .Its being expanded and remodeled as we speak.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...sion-plan.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 05:11 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Some men like the same 'ol bland women. Whatever makes you happy. I prefer some variety out of my airport. The international prestige of the Bay Area blows Atlanta out of the water and it isn't close. The Bay Area is the reason for many Intl. flights in SFO from multiple foreign flags. Delta's hub is the reason for many Intl. flights out of Atlanta. Without Delta's hub you would be lucky to have more than three European cities and a Seoul/Tokyo flight with a hand full of Carribean destinations because the Atlanta intl. O&D is weak. So you can keep your endless Delta flights while I'm flying on Singapore, ANA, etc. that has FAR superior service..

As for domestic service, we serve the medium to large cities direct but aren't as extensive to small to moderate sized cities, but that's what Oakland and San Jose are for.
You do know that those airlines only go there because SFO is a United hub and they're *A? Without the United hub, you'd fly internationally out of LA.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:38 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Got to show O'Hare not laying down its status that Atlanta took.... in a New airport as O'Hare was stifled by local residents from expansions for decades. Now its getting them. O'Hare is to get a 8.5-billion of upgrades with a few more gates. United, Delta, American and Spirit airlines all signed on in agreements to this and other upgrades included.

Its centerpiece is to be the new "International Global Terminal". The and the other improvements will create the FIRST GLOBAL ALLIANCE HUB in North America, that allows domestic airlines and the international carriers with which those domestic airlines partner to all be located in the same terminal. There are only 5 in the world currently.

The massive, multi-year makeover also calls for dozens of new gates and additional concourses. O’Hare would become the first so-called “global alliance hub” in the nation that allows domestic airlines and the international carriers with which those domestic airlines partner to all be located in the same terminal.

Video in link on things to be done and mayor saying a New O'Hare .... WILL BE SECOND TO NONE when complete.

https://www.pbs.org/video/85-billion...akeoff-8py1v3/

https://csengineermag.com/chicago-pl...nal-expansion/

O’Hare will rival U.S. hub competitors by becoming home to the first "Global Alliance" Hub in the country, giving passengers an easier connection to international destinations upon arrivals;

- state-of-the-art security screening that will further reduce wait times
- Three new state-of-the-art baggage systems
- with new self-service technologies to make the flight check in process faster and easier
- also calls for dozens of new gates and additional concourses

No longer also would passengers arriving in Chicago and connecting on international flights be forced to endure the delay and inconvenience of having to ride the O’Hare people mover to an international terminal not within walking distance.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Its centerpiece is to be the new "International Global Terminal". The and the other improvements will create the FIRST GLOBAL ALLIANCE HUB in North America, that allows domestic airlines and the international carriers with which those domestic airlines partner to all be located in the same terminal. There are only 5 in the world currently.

Just off the top of my head....

Atlanta is a "International Global Terminal" all the airline @ Atlanta are within the same "Terminal Complex" all are in same behind security Concourses.

Denver all the Airlines are in the accessible to in the same Behind Security Concourses.

There are probably others...

Old 08-24-2018, 06:19 PM

923 posts, read 664,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Atlanta is a "International Global Terminal" all the airline @ Atlanta are within the same "Terminal Complex" all are in same behind security Concourses.

Denver all the Airlines are in the accessible to in the same Behind Security Concourses.

I was thinking the same thing.Atlanta upgraded when they built a new separate International terminal

Old 08-24-2018, 06:34 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I was thinking the same thing.Atlanta upgraded when they built a new separate International terminal
Both the North/South Domestic and the International Terminals at Atlanta feed into, from opposite ends the all the concourses that all the Airlines are in.

An Addition to the "T" concourses that is being discussed( 8 more gates) . and the Long term Building of a "G" concourse (~20 gates) next to the Current International Terminal (Prob 15 year or so out) , All still be behind the same security points.

Last edited by flyonpa; 08-24-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Some men like the same 'ol bland women. Whatever makes you happy. I prefer some variety out of my airport. The international prestige of the Bay Area blows Atlanta out of the water and it isn't close. The Bay Area is the reason for many Intl. flights in SFO from multiple foreign flags. Delta's hub is the reason for many Intl. flights out of Atlanta. Without Delta's hub you would be lucky to have more than three European cities and a Seoul/Tokyo flight with a hand full of Carribean destinations because the Atlanta intl. O&D is weak. So you can keep your endless Delta flights while I'm flying on Singapore, ANA, etc. that has FAR superior service..

As for domestic service, we serve the medium to large cities direct but aren't as extensive to small to moderate sized cities, but that's what Oakland and San Jose are for.
International airlines serving ATL:
Air Canada
Air France
British Airways
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Korean Air
Lufthansa German Airlines
Qatar Airways
Turkish Airlines
Virgin Atlantic

8/2018

Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
https://youtu.be/OTz8g8yh8GY

Old 08-25-2018, 10:19 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,057 times
I flew into Atlanta for the first time in 35 years last month. Your head needs to be on a swivel in that place. Things are going 1000mph

Old 08-25-2018, 09:04 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

I'm going by what links say.

This link's title from "MarketWatch" is:
"Chicago’s O’Hare Airport aims to become U.S.’s first truly global hub as American and United bury hatchet"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/oh...can-2018-03-15

From link:
- It will be the most expensive and expansive remodel in the busy airport’s 73-year history, aimed at putting the facility on an equal footing, industry experts have said, with such global hubs as Tokyo’s Narita or the Dubai airport.

This link by "World Business Chicago". Notes this in link:

http://www.worldbusinesschicago.com/...ransformation/

- O'Hare will make connecting flights more convenient for passengers by having each of the three international alliance partners operate within a single terminal facility.
- This will make O'Hare home to the FIRST "Global Alliance Hub" in North America and one of ONLY FIVE IN THE WORLD.

So I'm not sure this Atlanta has it already officially, if true to boast?

My point was.... Seeing Atlanta's expansion boasted here. I saw it fair to boast O'Hare's. After all. It was stymied for decades by residents surrounding the airport from expansion plans and runways. IF it could have back then? It might still have its busiest title. Just saying....

Ole Grandaddy O'Hare ..... IS NOT too old yet to compete with the sprawling new kids on the block ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation