Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 AM

80 posts, read 112,304 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm working on a fiction short story and need to have my characters take a privately owned Sikorsky S-92 from San Francisco to Skagway, alaska.

I need to know where you would recommend making refuling stops, and about how long such a flight would take.

Any input you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JannAZ View Post
Hi.

I'm working on a fiction short story and need to have my characters take a privately owned Sikorsky S-92 from San Francisco to Skagway, alaska.

I need to know where you would recommend making refuling stops, and about how long such a flight would take.

Cheers,
Jann
The best site to get an answer is Airliners.net, then got to forums--civilian aviation

Old 03-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Thank you! If I don't get any answers here, I'll try that.

J

Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Hi.

Cheers,
Jann
Your trip is from KSFO to PAGY

Direct distance is 1404 nautical miles

Your cruise speed on the S-92 is 151 knots

Your range is 539 nautical miles.

By the laws of physics you must land for fuel 2 times to reach your destination. Flight laws may require additional stops.

You most likely can not fly direct

You may have issues entering/overflying Canada which could complicate issues.

Your flight time if you flew direct would be 9 hours 18 minutes (do not count on that.)

You have a good chance of weather affecting this trip.

You really need to fly IFR (Instument Flight Rules) instead of VFR (Visual...)

A good civilian background page for the S-92 is here:
Sikorsky S-92 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I quit flying complicated trips in 1998... I fly for the "Fifty Dollar Hamburger".

Good luck Jann!

Rich

Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM

Rich, thank you so much!!!! That answers almost all of my questions. Since this is fiction, I can fudge some of the details--like the overflight of Canada. I never thought of that.

LOL it was the wickipedia site that steared me to Sikorsky helicopters to begin with. I know from nothing--the highest off the ground I ever want to get is a horse's back!

Would you care to suggest the best places to refuel? I can probably guess from looking at a map, but would rather have an expert's opinion.

Thanks so much!!!!
Jann

Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Rich, thank you so much!!!! That answers almost all of my questions. Since this is fiction, I can fudge some of the details--like the overflight of Canada. I never thought of that.

LOL it was the wickipedia site that steared me to Sikorsky helicopters to begin with. I know from nothing--the highest off the ground I ever want to get is a horse's back!

Would you care to suggest the best places to refuel? I can probably guess from looking at a map, but would rather have an expert's opinion.

Thanks so much!!!!
Jann
This might help in flight planning SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

The flight planning works very well for distances (remember it is nautical miles 1.15 statute - 1.0 nautical) and you put the airports unique identifier in. San Francisoco is SFO and Red Bluff is RBL a distance of 148.8 nautical miles. The chart says it will take you 59 minutes but add a few for climb and descent.

Last edited by nicet4; 03-21-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 AM

I'll take a look. I think I've got what I need. Thank you all so much for the assists.

jann

Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I'll take a look. I think I've got what I need. Thank you all so much for the assists.

jann
Give me an hour or two, I have something I started but I got distracted...

Rich

Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 PM

The trip!

SAN FRANCISCO INTL (KSFO) to SEATTLE-TACOMA INTL (KSEA), 591 nm, 3hrs 54 min
SEATTLE-TACOMA INTL (KSEA) to PRINCE GEORGE, BC (CYXS), 387 nm, 2 hrs 32 min
PRINCE GEORGE, BC (CYXS) to SKAGWAY, AK (PAGY), 534 nm, 3hr 31 min

All altitudes 8,000 feet.

Max winds at any point 8 knots @ 219 degrees

Rich

Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Pancho, I do appologize for the inexcusable delay in replying. When the writing flows, it's all I do--we eat of half-rinsed plates and wear clothing that is less than fresh!!!! The dogs don't get walked and the tumbleweeds pile up so high you can't get thru the back door to find the outhouse. Honest.

The details you provided are just what my story needs. Thank you so much!!!!!

Jann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation