Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,894 times

Advertisements

I really think that the US should legalize marijuana. Let people grow their own or sell it just like we treat alcohol. That would take a lot of money out of the hands of cartels and would free us up money to focus on hard drugs and crushing the cartels. We can't keep this failed drug policy and risk having Mexico turn into a failed state or a naro state, that would be a huge economic and national security threat to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
If Mexico is involved at all, can this be good. I don't trust a thing they say or a thing they do. Has to be a reason for this, but most likely not a good reason.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,189,572 times
It was a 2 meter radio controlled plane, albeit a sophisticated one but it isn't a predator if that is what you are thinking.

Actually I found the Israeliweapons.com site fascinating, as apparently you have to be a member to view their launch systems, naval equipment or space systems. However casual users can buy a tank if you like with paypal. Schweeeeet if you are in the market for a tank.

For the Israeli made stuff you have to pay international shipping, but for items of American origin, apparently you can find their booth at a flea market, outside Congressional offices and near US military bases at cut rate discount prices.

There is just a certain irony in Mexico using Israeli drones along the Mexican border, and would be even more ironic if the drones were of US origin.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:25 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
There is just a certain irony in Mexico using Israeli drones along the Mexican border, and would be even more ironic if the drones were of US origin.

"Holloway said the aircraft that crossed into U.S. airspace is a mini orbiter unmanned aerial vehicle developed by the Aeronautics Defense System." More info here: Orbiter Mini UAV by Aeronautics Defense Systems
"Aeronautics Ltd. is one of Israel's largest defense corporations, and second largest unmanned systems provider. With core technologies in the areas of C4I, navigation, communication, and electro-optics, Aeronautics offers its customers a full spectrum of superior unmanned systems. Headquartered in Yavne, Aeronautics is a $200 million business with 700 employees worldwide."

Operational Ceiling (AGL) 500 - 2000 Feet
LOS Data Link Range 15 Km
* Mini ground directional antenna (Optional) 30 Km
* GDT (Ground Data Terminal) (Optional) 80 Km
Operational Speed 30*-*70 Knots
Max Speed 70 Knots
Max Operational Altitude (ASL) 18,000 Feet
Max*Payload Weight 1.5 Kg (3.3 Lb)
Endurance 3*-*4 Hours

The Mexican Air Force's offensive capability (as opposed to transport/support) is 10 old F-5 fighters, 6 Black Hawks, and 20 smaller combat capable helicopters.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
It bothers me that a drone even got across our border without being caught.

This is a huge issue and no one is talking about it.

So now we have drones that could carry any type of weapon coming across our borders.

Exactly why we need to place missile defense systems along with other security systems along our borders.

This should bother all of us that a drone like this made it across our borders.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM

We don't know if this intrusion was detected by either civilian ATC or Biggs ATC - but no - we don't have an immediate response SAM system to shoot down incursions along the land borders or coasts. El Paso has busy airspace with the civilian airport, Biggs Army Airfield, & the Juarez airport. Through agreement, airliners using El Paso's Runway 4 fly over Mexico on takeoff then bank back in to the US. Small planes from both countries fly along the border & Rio Grande with some minor incursions on both sides.

I am surprised that cartels have not yet utilized trebuchets to launch their drug bundles across the border. The record trebuchet pumpkin chuck is just under 1/2 mile.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4600903/
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASH2728

Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The most surprising point about this incident is that Mexico has the technology to use drones. Is the entire Mexican airforce now in ruin?
no joke. who woulda thunk?

then again it may very well have belonged to a mexican drug cartel.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It was a 2 meter radio controlled plane, albeit a sophisticated one but it isn't a predator if that is what you are thinking.

Actually I found the Israeliweapons.com site fascinating...
Neat site. One of their drones looks like a scaled down version of my Long-EZ.

Drone:
Blue Horizon 2

Long-EZ:
Long EZ Flight Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I am surprised that cartels have not yet utilized trebuchets to launch their drug bundles across the border. The record trebuchet pumpkin chuck is just under 1/2 mile.
They could just use these drones. The one I linked to above has a payload of 37 kg (more if you fly with less fuel). For a short flight across the border to your waiting friends on the other side 37kg of drugs is a good day's haul. You could even do multiple flights per day. If the drone is caught no pilot is thrown in jail and the cost of a drone is insignificant to these guys.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:30 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,189,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
We don't know if this intrusion was detected by either civilian ATC or Biggs ATC - but no - we don't have an immediate response SAM system to shoot down incursions along the land borders or coasts. El Paso has busy airspace with the civilian airport, Biggs Army Airfield, & the Juarez airport. Through agreement, airliners using El Paso's Runway 4 fly over Mexico on takeoff then bank back in to the US. Small planes from both countries fly along the border & Rio Grande with some minor incursions on both sides.

ELP Departures - Occasional Mexico Overflight — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net
FlightAware > Mesa Airlines #2728

I'd bet dollars for donuts the drug runners are already using similar means. Seriously consider how hard it would be to detect a 2-3 meter lightweight UAV made from things like carbon fiber or even balsa for that matter. The cost of using even remotely sophisticated ones would be a drop in the bucket compared to profits. If it is shot down or captured, no problem all you lost was the payload, none of your buddies ends up in prison and Jose the model builder cranks out three more in the meantime.

Does the military even investigate a faint here now gone now blip in places like Texas or Arizona? I bet a flying wing design 2-3 meter balsa plane probably doesn't even show up on most civilian radars, and certainly not if it is flying below 1000 feet.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:46 PM

Drone crash in El Paso under investigation - CNN.com

A spokesman for NORAD, which is responsible for the aerial defense of the United States, said that it had real-time awareness of the situation but that it was not deemed to be a threat and did not require any NORAD response.
NORAD said the Federal Aviation Administration and its Mexican counterpart are responsible for the civil airspace over their respective countries and coordinate cross-border air traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation