Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:38 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,963,612 times

Advertisements

It will happen sooner or later, a police drone will crash into a car on a freeway or into a house. It is not if but when. What happens then? Forget about the immediate financial costs because the agency flying it will be responsible for that but what then?

Lets not forget too, everyone with a wrist rocket who decides that they won't like a drone lifted camera flying over the street they live on. As above, not a matter of if but when.

Then comes general aviation. While police aircraft including rotor wing have so far been relatively safe considering the flight hours, drones aren't going to be limited to a few since their cost to operate is much lower. Of course, the conventional wisdom now says that we won't see lots of drones flying all over the place, sure, lets go with that (open wide). When that first drone that meets the flight path of the 182 and that drops onto a house, I imagine the questions will be quite different than the stories everyone will be told about how a dysfunctional drone is programmed to land in some vacant field miles away from people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
I am surte it will just as planes have crashed into home and cars or other cars have.I don't see poit really as accidents of all types happen. One drone can proably replace several aircraft as afr as coverage and at less expemse as you say.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:00 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
It will happen sooner or later, a police drone will crash into a car on a freeway or into a house. It is not if but when. What happens then? Forget about the immediate financial costs because the agency flying it will be responsible for that but what then?

Lets not forget too, everyone with a wrist rocket who decides that they won't like a drone lifted camera flying over the street they live on. As above, not a matter of if but when.

Then comes general aviation. While police aircraft including rotor wing have so far been relatively safe considering the flight hours, drones aren't going to be limited to a few since their cost to operate is much lower. Of course, the conventional wisdom now says that we won't see lots of drones flying all over the place, sure, lets go with that (open wide). When that first drone that meets the flight path of the 182 and that drops onto a house, I imagine the questions will be quite different than the stories everyone will be told about how a dysfunctional drone is programmed to land in some vacant field miles away from people.
YOU ARE RIGHT! Let's also talk about police cars! They are already responsible for dozens of accidents, we should ban police cars too!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,963,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
YOU ARE RIGHT! Let's also talk about police cars! They are already responsible for dozens of accidents, we should ban police cars too!
I don't think banning anything was the question or idea.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
drones have a future here.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM

21,167 posts, read 19,768,059 times
I haven't heard of police drones, but I like the idea. I live near a high crime area and I can think of many situations where they could be helpful (along with ground-based surveillance cameras).

The technical problems should not overshadow the usefulness of the product. Remember, even pilot-controlled airplanes crash and collide on occasion.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times
Drones are used by law enforcement in rural areas here for search and rescue work. No big deal. They're NOT equipped with hellfire missiles and won't be. Another goofy anti law enforcement post here on C-D.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,698,518 times
On the questions of drone I suggest looking into the history of the SWAT organization. Initially, these military groups active in civilian neighborhoods where to be use only very strictly, very rarely, and very conservatively in only extreme cases. Now of course they are used multiple times daily for even the simple procedures with no accountability. The drones will also follow the path of the SWAT groups.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,617,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
On the questions of drone I suggest looking into the history of the SWAT organization. Initially, these military groups active in civilian neighborhoods where to be use only very strictly, very rarely, and very conservatively in only extreme cases. Now of course they are used multiple times daily for even the simple procedures with no accountability. The drones will also follow the path of the SWAT groups.
I don't want drones, spy cameras, or any other trappings of a police state. There are worse things than crimes so I'll do all I can to oppose drones both where I live and everywere else in the country.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 AM

65 posts, read 156,438 times
Computer assistance should keep them from crashing, the real problem is when farmers start trying to shoot them because the local municipality buys one to generate revenue off code enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation