Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times

Advertisements

considering an '07 BMW X5 or Mercedes ML. if i don't buy these directly from bmw or mercedes can i still buy a warranty from them? any idea what it will cost based on a car with around 50000 miles?

any independent warranties you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
considering an '07 BMW X5 or Mercedes ML. if i don't buy these directly from bmw or mercedes can i still buy a warranty from them? any idea what it will cost based on a car with around 50000 miles?

any independent warranties you would recommend?
Depends where you buy the car from. Pretty much no reputable company will sell you one if you buy it from a private individual.

However, if you are buying it from someplace like Carmax or another big chain or most dealerships they should be able to offer you a service contract. (They are on the hook if the insurer goes belly up so any major chain like that should be generally safe.)

Warning, these will cost you a butt load of cash. Like, an Oprah sized butt load. These are vehicles that have some age and miles on them and are expensive to fix and frankly are a bit buggy as they age and have tons of bells and whistles to go wrong.

One suggestion, consider a Certified Pre-Owned. BWM's come with a 6 year 100k mile warranty when you buy CPO (Granted it's built into the price but still worth looking into.)

Best of luck. There is a reason that pre-owned BWM's and Mercedes get very *affordable* once they have 50k miles on them and are out of warranty....it's because you have to factor in some brutal future repair costs.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends where you buy the car from. Pretty much no reputable company will sell you one if you buy it from a private individual.

However, if you are buying it from someplace like Carmax or another big chain or most dealerships they should be able to offer you a service contract. (They are on the hook if the insurer goes belly up so any major chain like that should be generally safe.)

Warning, these will cost you a butt load of cash. Like, an Oprah sized butt load. These are vehicles that have some age and miles on them and are expensive to fix and frankly are a bit buggy as they age and have tons of bells and whistles to go wrong.

One suggestion, consider a Certified Pre-Owned. BWM's come with a 6 year 100k mile warranty when you buy CPO (Granted it's built into the price but still worth looking into.)

Best of luck. There is a reason that pre-owned BWM's and Mercedes get very *affordable* once they have 50k miles on them and are out of warranty....it's because you have to factor in some brutal future repair costs.

thanks dude. any idea if bmw will sell me a 6year/100000 mile warranty on a car i've bought privately?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
The only way you can buy an extended factory warranty if you purchase the vehicle privately is if it is still under the original factory warranty when you buy it. They will then sell you a plan through BMW/Mercedes to extend the warranty. Be aware that this is very expensive and will need to be paid in cash upfront.

The best bet is to purchase the car CPO through the dealer. All of the used luxury cars I have bought I went this way with and it is well worth the extra cost. You just need to remember that when they say 6yr./100k miles, they are talking in total from the first date of in service. So, if a car was bought originally three years ago and you buy it CPO and it has 50k miles on it, you are actually only getting a 3yr./50k mile warranty.

When it comes to warranties, I generally feel that the only ones worth anything are the manufacturer warranties. Most third party warranties are limited and carry high deductibles and most have a horrible pay out history. If you can't get a manufacturer warranty, just keep the cash aside to pay for repairs yourself.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
With BMW, the car has to be less than seven years on the road, and under 80k miles to be eligible for the extended service contract, which differs from the new vehicle warranty.

http://resource.bmwusa.com/pdf_3927f...458c3059d.arox

The X5 is also light years ahead of an ML, in my experience, both in ease of ownership, and driving experience. The ML with the six is okay, if underpowered, but the V8s are a little more prone to trouble.

If you don't need the extra room/height of an ML, I'd consider a GLK or E-Class wagon before the ML.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
thanks dude. any idea if bmw will sell me a 6year/100000 mile warranty on a car i've bought privately?
I highly highly doubt it but you could ask.

Again, I'd be VERY cautious of buying one of those from any company that would sell those to someone in a private transaction. You will be able to find some company on the internet willing to sell you one....but that's right there with nigerian dictator deals IMHO.

Why? Because the service contract company would get crushed because the vehicle could already be jacked up etc. and then repaired on their dime.

So, a company willing to sell that is probably shady and will deny payment or have million hidden clauses or just run off with the money.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 AM

BMW is one of the few (that has worthwhile coverage) who will sell an extended service contract, not a warranty, on a private sale. The extended service contract is the option after the new vehicle warranty expires, which covers different components, depending upon coverage selection (Plus, Gold, or Platinum). It's not a bumper-to-bumper warranty, but you can pick the level of protection you want on the vehicle and contract term (years/mileage).

City-Data FAQs

Old 05-12-2010, 09:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
[quote=bmwguydc;14142989]The extended service contract is the option after the new vehicle warranty expires[quote]

That's the key right there. You need to buy a vehicle that is still under the factory warranty in order to be eligible for the extended service contract. If you buy a private sale vehicle that is out of the 4/50k for a BMW, then I am pretty sure that you can't then go and buy the extended warranty from the manufacturer. As an FYI pretty much all manufacturers, even GM, offer this, but with the same stipulation that you need to be under the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty term.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM

[quote=NJGOAT;14143357][quote=bmwguydc;14142989]The extended service contract is the option after the new vehicle warranty expires
Quote:

That's the key right there. You need to buy a vehicle that is still under the factory warranty in order to be eligible for the extended service contract. If you buy a private sale vehicle that is out of the 4/50k for a BMW, then I am pretty sure that you can't then go and buy the extended warranty from the manufacturer. As an FYI pretty much all manufacturers, even GM, offer this, but with the same stipulation that you need to be under the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty term.
Actually, according to the link from BMW-NA that I posted earlier, the vehicle only has to be less than 7 years old and under 80k in miles. That would be well out of the warranty period if you were to buy it at six years, for example, but still eligible for the service contract. That's why I said BMW is one of the few who do this, since most do require the car to be under the original warranty.

City-Data FAQs

Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 PM

[quote=bmwguydc;14146020][quote=NJGOAT;14143357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The extended service contract is the option after the new vehicle warranty expires

Actually, according to the link from BMW-NA that I posted earlier, the vehicle only has to be less than 7 years old and under 80k in miles. That would be well out of the warranty period if you were to buy it at six years, for example, but still eligible for the service contract. That's why I said BMW is one of the few who do this, since most do require the car to be under the original warranty.
any ballpark of what an extended warranty might cost on an 07 X5 with around 40000 miles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive