Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
there is only one van I would drive and it would be a GMC like the A-team had

YouTube - Oricalc Crisis Division - A-Team GMC G Series 83
LOL, that thing is hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Shaggin' wagons!

Um, I mean, yeah I faintly remember them.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM

380 posts, read 642,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Anyone remember that era?

Fat tires, chrome side pipes, porthole windows, beautiful murals, crazy external mods...

Hate vans all you want, but back in the '70s they were big, big, and big. Hot Rod kept fanning the flames as it became a nationwide craze overnight. By the '80s it died out along with horsepower.

Why are the vans hated today, and what killed the custom van craze?

Gotta have the mural! Love it!

Old 09-28-2015, 11:09 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
I love vans you all and I think I'm going to get one again. You can live a spontaneous lifestyle with a van. A hot summer day in Phoenix, I'm going to the beach in LA for a couple days, and not have to spend upwards of $200 a night on a motel room. It's like having a party room/motel wherever you go!

Vanning has seen a little bit of a comeback, with a younger generation buying up the few remaining survivor vans from the 70's. But as much as I love the look of the 70's Dodge Tradesman vans, there are very few of them out there, and most are in rough shape. The good news is that there thousands of late model Econolines, Tradesman, and even Astro vans that would make a fine platform for a retro inspired, light duty camper. Google "retro rv" and you'll see manufacturers making these 70's styled trailers. People like the retro look not only because they're a blast from the past, but the look is warm and inviting. On the other end of the spectrum you have the latest conversion vans (most built on the Sprinter). They look cold and soulless inside, more like a private jet. The exteriors have those bloated ground effects, and gaudy wheels that look like they came off a donk (jacked up Caprice in Miami).

So what I was thinking is taking a late model cargo van like an Chevy Express, and doing a modern take on the classic 70's van. It's doesn't have to be extravagant with mirrors on the ceiling and. But it does need to have the wood lining on the interior walls, and a nice carpet job. I like that carpet they used in the 70's too, it wasn't really shag, but just had that cool pattern that ran through it.

Now, for those of you who were adults in the 70's and mid 80's, I want to know who did the work on those custom vans? You look at the woodwork and the carpeting job on some of those vans and it looks professional! And I'm not talking about the conversion vans either. Granted there were some "factory" versions like the Dodge Street Van, but there must have been shops doing alot of work on these vans. Who were these shops, are they still around? Or were the interior panels and carpet accent-strips, just off the shelf accessories that popped right in?

I see a potential market here, help me out here old timers. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i remember the van craze, in fact i wanted to build a custom van, but i never had the money to do so.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:54 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i remember the van craze, in fact i wanted to build a custom van, but i never had the money to do so.
How I would love to have a professional van shop just build me my dream van, like this lucky kid:
https://youtu.be/NsV48ReyKoo

I wonder if there are shops that could still do this kind of work, assuming you had the $$.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
How I would love to have a professional van shop just build me my dream van, like this lucky kid:
https://youtu.be/NsV48ReyKoo

I wonder if there are shops that could still do this kind of work, assuming you had the $$.
i am sure that you can still find people willing to take the job on. start with a custom interior shop.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
As a child of the 70's, some of my best times were had in a custom Dodge Van. We were hauling motorcycles or girls, beer and 8-tracks! The Rolling Stones, drive-ins, the Jersey Shore --- Great times
I would LOVE to have a van to do errands in, an old Econoline

Old 09-29-2015, 07:30 PM

422 posts, read 412,471 times
ITT: old fogies sing the blues

Old 09-29-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
ITT: old fogies sing the blues
says the guy who wets his pants at the thought of going faster than 25mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive