Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:18 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,354,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I can honestly say I HATE most bicyclists. Especially if they are taking up a traffic lane. The story below happened about 10 years ago back when I was a courier (delivery driver) in Phoenix....

I was always under deadlines as a delivery driver. Some jacka$$ decided to take up the right lane as I was heading west on Lincoln. Traffic was too heavy to get over, so I was stuck going 10 mph behind this jerk. I finally lost my patience, so I decided to squeeze in between in between him and the cars in the middle lane. I managed to do it since I had a little Datsun B210 that was narrow. I literally came within an inch of this guy. I figured I would teach him a lesson, but boy was I wrong. The problem was he managed to catch up to me at the next traffic light. He was a pretty tough looking dude, so I did not want to get into a fight with him. My windows were up, and my doors were locked. He then comes up to my door screaming. He tries to open my door, and then he starts punching my window. That was the final straw. I really had no choice at this point, so I reached under my seat and pulled out my 9mm Ruger and pointed it straight at him. Luckily, he took right off, and my car or window was not damaged. Even know he was the one in the wrong (going 10 mph in a 45 mph zone, trying to break into my car to assault me), I learned a valuable lesson that day. I never did that again. If I got stuck behind one, I made sure I ample room to pass them safely. Karma does have a way of catching these evil people. I am hoping a motorist has hit him by now, and he is either dead or severely injured for the rest of his life.
So that's how you guys' reality works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:40 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,754,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Even more so. I am not the average driver and my job for many years involved highway safety. I treat all stupid drivers the same. Even a fool walking in the street with a cell phone or trying to text and walk at the same time gets my attention. I side with the bike riders if they know what they are doing.
Glad to read this. I only asked because I've seen so many people rant and rave about cyclists breaking traffic laws, but then not bat an eyelash at motorists who do the same things and worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
What gets me are the stupid moves I see by some on bicycles. I have no qualms with sharing the road, but proper bicycle etiquette and road use is to remain on the right edge of the right lane.
Not sure about your state, but here cyclists are supposed to use the right-most third of the lane. A third is quite a bit, but it may depend on what your definition of "edge" is. Riding right on the edge of the road is very dangerous. In an area where it's not safe for cars to pass (like blind curves), it's generally recommended that a cyclist get out into the lane more so cars can't pass, instead of being far, far to the right so that everyone tries to squeeze through at once when it's not safe to do so.
Quote:
Just about every day I see bicyclists cross multiple lanes of traffic, turn left in left turn lanes, run red lights and stop signs continually, and generally make menaces of themselves.
What's wrong with this? Is the cyclist instead supposed to turn right, make a u-turn, and then go under the light from that direction? When I use a left turn lane, I can easily keep up with the other traffic until we are fully onto the next road, and by that time I'm already to the right, well out of everyone's way.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 AM

271 posts, read 785,930 times
In Austin there are cyclists on this highway where the speed limit is 60 MPH. It is pretty dangerous especially when some of the cyclists don't follow the rules of the road.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:29 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Absolutely... both motorists and cyclists are to blame however there are clearly some places that bicycles do not belong. A loaded 18-wheeler cannot nimbly avoid a cyclist when he is surrounded by cars and more trucks.

Another thing that bothers me is when a bunch of cars are stopped at a light and a cyclist decides to slowly weave his way through to the front and then cross the intersection when he sees the opportunity!!!! I have even seen some of these weavers bump into vehicles... thats way out of line!
You do realize that in certain parts of every City there are no other routes to take so saying they shouldn't be there means not riding at all. Would you feel the same about your car if a trucker made that statement?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I can honestly say I HATE most bicyclists. Especially if they are taking up a traffic lane. The story below happened about 10 years ago back when I was a courier (delivery driver) in Phoenix....

I was always under deadlines as a delivery driver. Some jacka$$ decided to take up the right lane as I was heading west on Lincoln. Traffic was too heavy to get over, so I was stuck going 10 mph behind this jerk. I finally lost my patience, so I decided to squeeze in between in between him and the cars in the middle lane. I managed to do it since I had a little Datsun B210 that was narrow. I literally came within an inch of this guy. I figured I would teach him a lesson, but boy was I wrong. The problem was he managed to catch up to me at the next traffic light. He was a pretty tough looking dude, so I did not want to get into a fight with him. My windows were up, and my doors were locked. He then comes up to my door screaming. He tries to open my door, and then he starts punching my window. That was the final straw. I really had no choice at this point, so I reached under my seat and pulled out my 9mm Ruger and pointed it straight at him. Luckily, he took right off, and my car or window was not damaged. Even know he was the one in the wrong (going 10 mph in a 45 mph zone, trying to break into my car to assault me), I learned a valuable lesson that day. I never did that again. If I got stuck behind one, I made sure I ample room to pass them safely. Karma does have a way of catching these evil people. I am hoping a motorist has hit him by now, and he is either dead or severely injured for the rest of his life.
There are no words to describe this post, none.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
What gets me are the stupid moves I see by some on bicycles. I have no qualms with sharing the road, but proper bicycle etiquette and road use is to remain on the right edge of the right lane. Just about every day I see bicyclists cross multiple lanes of traffic, turn left in left turn lanes, run red lights and stop signs continually, and generally make menaces of themselves. I really don't want to hit a bicyclist, even if they pop out in front of me and I have a green light, and I've come close on more than one occasion.

I know a guy who lives near me with a moderately expensive bike, probably in the $5-$7k range, and he's incredibly aggressive on it, and cuts to the left on multi-lane streets, with 35-45 mph speed limits and a host of inattentive drivers. To my mind, that's suicidal, and that's what drives me nuts, but that reflects a very small percentage of bicyclists.

The other pet peeve I have is the bicyclist who sees no problem in driving on a sidewalk in the wrong direction with no lights at night in a semi-darkened area, who has no horn, bell, other warning device. I have nearly been run over by such bicyclists, especially when they spook the poor dog. One nearly ran the dog down, but veered into the street at the last second. And, I can see if these were irresponsible kids, but we're talking young adults, some of whom don't appear to be the most sober bicyclists.
Cyclists as with drivers come in different categories. Some are poor at it, some don't care, some follow every rule to a T and some worry more about surviving. Put me in the survival category. It's too bad most drivers remember the kitted out racer running the red light as most riders can't stand those idjuts either. I'll make a concerted effort to run down and pass any rider that does that at a light I'm waiting at.

You really have to ride for a while to get to see every category of driver. When you are driving for the most part it won't bother you but the driver that is talking, eating, puting on makeup etc can kill you. Plus, some people get really tough behind the wheel who would normally be caring and timid.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,354,285 times
I think there's a lot of prejudice and narrow mindedness on all parts. Yes, there are cyclist that act like idiots, just like there are drivers who do the same. The majority of both act reasonable though.

However, I do think there's a big group of drivers who's under the impression or conviction that the road is "theirs", which isn't true. I don't know about the states, but here in Norway, a cyclist has the right to use the whole lane, if you're going to pass, you're supposed to go completely out of the lane. Of course, in most cases the cyclist keep to the right, and the car can do a safe, pass only halfway over, but you see an awful lot of drivers almost pushing the bikes into the ditch.

The most important thing is traffic flow for everyone on the road most cyclists aren't interested in holding up traffic, but they have every right to be there, and when they are, they have every right to be safe. Drivers need to learn that, and pass them safely, and simply stay behind until they can do so. Show the cyclist this much respect, and they will, in most cases, show you the same back, and help you pass when it's safe to do so.

As for cyclists moving up in between cars at lights etc., if they don't bump into your vehicle, or crosses on red lights etc. Why is this a problem? Everyone's just trying to get to where they need to be, if they have the opportunity to do so a little faster, why shouldn't they, as long as it's safe?

Same goes for motorbikes, I always position myself so they can come passed me, if they do so safely, they generally appreciate it, and give a wave to thank, as well as pass with extra care.

By helping traffic flow for others, traffic ends up flowing better for you. Whether you do it for a car, a truck, a motorbike or a cyclist, keeping things flowing is almost always better than only thinking about yourself, pushing forward and never letting people in, that only creates the traffic that in turn makes you angry.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,205,882 times
At least a car driver pays state gasoline tax that is used for maintaining the roads.

Bikers want--equal--access to those roads, but don't pay.

Freeloaders !

Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Not sure about your state, but here cyclists are supposed to use the right-most third of the lane. A third is quite a bit, but it may depend on what your definition of "edge" is. Riding right on the edge of the road is very dangerous. In an area where it's not safe for cars to pass (like blind curves), it's generally recommended that a cyclist get out into the lane more so cars can't pass, instead of being far, far to the right so that everyone tries to squeeze through at once when it's not safe to do so.
No, we agree. I am referring to people who ride in the middle of the right lane, the right third would be about right from my perspective. That's where I stay when I am on my bicycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
What's wrong with this? Is the cyclist instead supposed to turn right, make a u-turn, and then go under the light from that direction? When I use a left turn lane, I can easily keep up with the other traffic until we are fully onto the next road, and by that time I'm already to the right, well out of everyone's way.
On a 35-45mph road, it's suicidal, since no bicycle can move that fast when cutting across lanes, and usually without a hand signal to attempt to warn another driver what they're about to do. On an empty road, it's fine, but not when traffic is moving at the speed limit, or above. When I ride my bicycle and need to cross a road to the left, I will generally walk it across the intersection, though I have been known to stop at the corner, turn around, and ride on the right across the intersection. It takes a couple of minutes sometimes to wait for the light, but it's safer for a bicycle, IMO.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,482,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
As an avid life long cyclist one of my greatest sadness is that cycling in America is still in the "toy" stage with no real education programs for the cyclist or the motorist.

What is needed is the same efforts that are matter of daily life in Europe and Asia were the bicycle is still respected as the elegant transportation machine it really is. Respect from the government to make room for cycles and respect from the people to employ the bicycle in their lives. With so many people in America now living in cities or urban settings there is now the opportunity to implement the bicycle into your life.
Exactly

I love my bike. Real bikes have pedals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive