Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,883,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So... If you're looking at a bad head gasket on a V8, do you just plan to do both heads while you're in there?

It'd seem to me that, if I'm going to be elbow deep in the project, I might as well do both sides and get it over with.
No way I'd do just one side. That's too much risk for me.

You may be right back in there doing the other head if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,124,095 times
To me, it would be nuts to do just one head gasket - figuring out which one to do (Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya?) would be more work than just doing both. I guess in principle you could find the leaky cylinder (assuming there is just one) by doing a leakdown test on all 8 cylinders. The "valve grind" gasket kit comes with both gaskets anyway, and the incremental work to take the 2nd head off is not much compared to going back in soon when the 2nd one fails, which it probably will, whatever caused one to fail has been working on both of them.

Heads need to get checked for flatness, this being an OHC engine be sure the machine shop that's checking and maybe correcting them knows OHC, you can't just surface them like a pushrod engine's heads, they should be pressure tested and/or inspected for cracks, and I would do the valve stem seals anyway.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,695,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
No way I'd do just one side. That's too much risk for me.

You may be right back in there doing the other head if you don't.
That's what I figured. When you've already done 90% of the work required, just to do one head, it makes no sense to not do the other.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,943,341 times
Well thanks everybody for your responses. I didn't think that little fix would hold up for long. So into the shop Edward is going. I mentioned my problem in passing at the local grocery store and a guy I know pretty well said he knows of a newly retired mechanic looking for a project to keep him busy. So I paid him a visit. His garage looks more impressive than a lot of commercial shops. He knows it's an overhead cam engine and apparently has done many such jobs over the years.

When he quoted me his labor rate of $15 an hour I damn near collapsed. Both heads will be done. Plugs and valve stems replaced too. This may be my lucky day! The truck is important to me and I had planned to keep it long into the future. A couple of days ago I wasn't so sure that would happen.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,124,095 times
Cool. Vermont (and many other rural areas around the country really) is like that.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:11 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,695,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Well thanks everybody for your responses. I didn't think that little fix would hold up for long. So into the shop Edward is going. I mentioned my problem in passing at the local grocery store and a guy I know pretty well said he knows of a newly retired mechanic looking for a project to keep him busy. So I paid him a visit. His garage looks more impressive than a lot of commercial shops. He knows it's an overhead cam engine and apparently has done many such jobs over the years.

When he quoted me his labor rate of $15 an hour I damn near collapsed. Both heads will be done. Plugs and valve stems replaced too. This may be my lucky day! The truck is important to me and I had planned to keep it long into the future. A couple of days ago I wasn't so sure that would happen.
Dang - I think you just struck gold! Very cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive