Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times

Advertisements

From a practical standpoint, time to replace the car when your maintenance costs averaged on a monthly basis approach the same amount you'd spend on a car payment. From a personal standpoint... when you're ready for something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Hey, I just bought an 09 Corolla with 17,000 miles on it. I traded in a Chevy Malibu which had 135,000 miles on it. It ran well, but I was worried about future repairs. I don't know if I did the right thing. If it were a Toyota or Honda, I probably would have kept it.
The way that I look at it, you always have the final decision as to whether you are going to repair a car or not. Had you kept the Malibu and a year from now either the transmission or the engine blows, you can always dump it then.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,180,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Hey, I just bought an 09 Corolla with 17,000 miles on it. I traded in a Chevy Malibu which had 135,000 miles on it. It ran well, but I was worried about future repairs. I don't know if I did the right thing. If it were a Toyota or Honda, I probably would have kept it.
in my opinion, it sounds like you let all the stuff you've heard about the reliability of all companies involved sway your opinion DESPITE the actual evidence sitting right in front of you. that car gave you 135K miles of service with no issues, which would be evidence enough to anyone else that the car is a good one. but because all you've ever heard in the last few years is 'Domestics are crap and Japanese will run 'til the Apocalypse', you gave up on a perfectly fine automobile.

now, if you bought the Corolla because you just wanted a new vehicle, that's fine. and if you bought a Corolla because you've heard that they're super-reliable cars (which they are), that's fine too. but to make such a large decision based on future potential issues in a car that has exhibited none seems very rash.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 01-11-2010 at 06:48 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,986,986 times
Interesting choice;
Spend 15,000 dollars (more or less) on a used car you know nothing about,
or
spend 20,000 to 30,000 dollars on a new car (that you know nothing about),
or
Spend 10,000 dollars (or less) to rebuild your existing car, and know EXACTLY what you have.

Dang! Maybe that isn't such a tough choice, after all...
Maybe that's why I have a 16 year old truck with 274,000 miles on it!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 PM

444 posts, read 1,251,486 times
Keep it!

I drive my wife's 01 Neon w/143k miles because we're the original owners and took care of it & it's paid for. If I have to replace and engine or transmission, I might think twice. Otherwise, keep the beaters on the road..I tried trading this thing in before, but dealers don't want it. I enjoy the savings each month and 28mpg.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,118,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
So when would you pull the plug on the old (paid for) car and buy a new one? What makes sense?

I got a 97 Toyota Corolla DX (1.8 L) with 120K miles. I commute a long way to work everyday (50 miles total/day) and it's the perfect car for that; however, it's due for some expensive maintenance and repairs. It's due for a timing belt/water pump replacement and the 120K service which includes Auto transmission service, plugs, wires, Coolant flush etc (approximately $1000 bucks!)... And it's having some front end/rear end issues, I'm betting it needs struts etc... (I'm taking it to my mechanic shop on Tuesday for this issue..) It's pretty ugly and with a rougher body (some dents etc...) On the positive side, it doesn't burn or leak any oil, it has new tires, new radiator, new AC condenser, is very good on gas, very cheap to insure, cheap property taxes and tags.

So, the old lady (who hates the car! LOL) and most of my friends think I'm crazy to put another dime in this car and should buy a new car. Well, I'm cheap and I don't want to either spend a big chunk of change or have car payments. What would you do? What would make more sense? I'd like to hear some REALISTIC opinions please!

P.S. If I were to buy a new car, I'd buy a 1-2 year old Honda Civic, Honda Fit or a Toyota Corolla with less than 30K miles.
That's not really an old car. I'm assuming your DIY skills are not much, as most of what's needed is within the capabilities of a decent DIY wrench.

Emotionally just "wanting something new/different" is a great way to waste serious money.

Unless there are rust/structural problems with the car taking the decision to "not spend any more money on it" is pretty much retarded. If you refuse to do the necessary maintenance, the car will fail in ways that cost more to fix than the maintenence, plus the annoying but in this case well-deserved walk to help.

You need some better, smarter, and more DIY oriented friends IMHO.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,064,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You need some better, smarter, and more DIY oriented friends IMHO.
No kidding!!! I can do basic stuff like oil changes etc.. but when it comes to water pumps, timing belts, struts etc... I'd rather let the professionals do it as I know my limitations. And honestly, I have two small children, a demanding job and other hobbies which leave me no time/desire to do this sort of thing.

You and others all have good points, I will be keeping this car! It's going in tomorrow to check out the suspension issue. Cheers!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,260,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
No kidding!!! I can do basic stuff like oil changes etc.. but when it comes to water pumps, timing belts, struts etc... I'd rather let the professionals do it as I know my limitations. And honestly, I have two small children, a demanding job and other hobbies which leave me no time/desire to do this sort of thing.

You and others all have good points, I will be keeping this car! It's going in tomorrow to check out the suspension issue. Cheers!
You could save a lot of money just by avoiding the shops, and finding mechanics on craigslist. I use them, and have saved a fortune myself.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 AM

107 posts, read 615,566 times
If you are not concerned about your's and your passenger's safety but consider only financial aspects then you'd probably better off keeping your 97 Corolla, otherwise you'd definitely want to purchase a newer car.

2006-2007 cars are away much more safer as they have all the modern safety systems (airbags, side curtains, electronic systems, etc.) that were not available more then 10 years ago or are not as much effective as current safety systems.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,416,920 times
I agree that safety is an important consideration, especially if you take your children in the car. A 97 Corolla is not as safe as any of the newer vehicles on your list with which you would replace the car. Being parsimonious is one thing, and I can understand that if you were only needing to worry about your own safety, but with children, I'd look to the safest vehicle that met the budget and operating costs.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive