Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,588,288 times

Advertisements

What kind of car was it? If it is one that is in high demand or one that there are too few around, they may want top money for it. However, it is wierd that they did not even counteroffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Chevy Avalanche - 2005. Nothing special about it except that it is Burgundy which is not a real common color (most are black grey or blue).

They never called me back, so I guess they do not want to try to make a deal. Too bad, that is the only Burgundy one that I have found in the price range/mileage/options that I want. I guess I will resolve myself to silver or black - sigh.

I have a pretty good idea what they sell for. I looked at Craigs list, some other online places and an old autotrader magazine. I am ignoring KBB, it does not seem to be a realistic representation of actual selling prices. Mostly I am looking on Craigs list. I guess I will try another auto trader magazine. They seem to have a lot more options.

I have heard that some used car dealers are more intersted in winning "the game" then they are in selling cars. That seems stupid. I do not know whether it is true, but maybe I encountered onesuch.

Maybe I will make several offers by telephone and tell them that whomever accepts first, get the sale. I had a friend who did that with new cars. He made a flyer, it had the actual dealer cost, the incentives that the dealer gets and offered them a profit of $500 (pllus their incentives). He listed the options and concluded "I have the cash in hand and will buy this car within one hour after the first dealer accepts this price. No negotiating." He handed this out to about a half dozen dealers. He always got a call and saved thousands of dollars. I was amazed at how cheap he got his cars for.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-30-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,185,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Maybe I will make several offers by telephone and tell them that whomever accepts first, get the sale. I had a friend who did that with new cars. He made a flyer, it had the actual dealer cost, the incentives that the dealer gets and offered them a profit of $500 (pllus their incentives). He listed the options and concluded "I have the cash in hand and will buy this car within one hour after the first dealer accepts this price. No negotiating." He handed this out to about a half dozen dealers. He always got a call and saved thousands of dollars. I was amazed at how cheap he got his cars for.
my buddy did somerthing similar via e-mail. he directly e-mailed the online sales manager (or just the general sales manager) at every Subaru dealership within the distance he was willing to go to get the car. he told them EXACTLY what he wanted, then asked for their best price. when he got back a round of quotes, he would e-mail the lowest quote back to the other dealerships and ask them what they could do to beat it. he did this until none of the dealerships would go any lower, then bought the car from the lowest bidder. he was out of the dealerships in under an hour.

of course, this was on a new car. i don't know how successful a tactic like this is on a used vehicle.

Mike

Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM

6,459 posts, read 9,834,559 times
Quote:
Too bad, that is the only Burgundy one that I have found in the price range/mileage/options that I want.

If it was in your price range/mileage/options that you wanted, why do you feel the dealership is overpriced?

I completely understand haggling over a price, but if it was what you wanted and all, sometimes you have to give in a little.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
If it was in your price range/mileage/options that you wanted, why do you feel the dealership is overpriced?

I completely understand haggling over a price, but if it was what you wanted and all, sometimes you have to give in a little.
Because other similar Avalanches are listed for prices in the $16,000 to $18,000 range and this one is at $20,900. Besides, Delerships prices are always inflated. I imagine that they are hoping that someone will just come in and buy it without researchig the going price.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,351,948 times
Quote:
Because other similar Avalanches are listed for prices in the $16,000 to $18,000 range and this one is at $20,900. Besides, Delerships prices are always inflated. I imagine that they are hoping that someone will just come in and buy it without researchig the going price.
I would offer then 17,500 then go as high as 18,500 cause you like the colour and it has the options you want see bring in other ads to show them and go from there it comes down to how desperate to sell the car anyways goodluck man.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,148,486 times
Heres what to do. Tell them to write down the lowest price they will take and seal it in an envelope . You will then leave and drive 2 miles away and then open it and look. If its the price you want you will return .If not you wont.....play with their minds..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive