Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

I konow alot of people who most of the year do stop and start driving in the city and slowly the battery gets lower and lower on charge. At a certain point car batteries which are meant to be fully charged start going downhill. Many do no battery maintenace at all.If its a flooded battery they never check the water and never check the charge especailly in cold regions.When i buy a new vehiocle or a new battery the first thing I do is put my battery tender on it to bring it up to full charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Best battery I ever had was an Interstate. Lasted about 8 years. They may not make them as well now.I dont know. I do know that the "new" batteries you buy at autozone and some other parts stores are not really new. Autozone recycles batteries and reconditions them and offers a warranty as new. I caught autozone doing this once when I noticed that there were marks on the terminals they hadnt removed during the recycle process. You see many batteries are returned to autozone that arent really bad just discharged to the point its very hard to charge them back up. Instead of throwing them away autozone cleans them up and makes them look like new and puts another control number on them and sells them as new. They figure as long as they give a "new" warranty its ok. Check the new battery over well before you buy a new one at autozone and look for small marks on the terminals. A really new battery shouldnt have any should it..?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I konow alot of people who most of the year do stop and start driving in the city and slowly the battery gets lower and lower on charge. At a certain point car batteries which are meant to be fully charged start going downhill. Many do no battery maintenace at all.If its a flooded battery they never check the water and never check the charge especailly in cold regions.When i buy a new vehiocle or a new battery the first thing I do is put my battery tender on it to bring it up to full charge.
I bought several Battery Tenders and they do a great job... both the Jr. and regular model... Interstate Battery also sells them under their brand...

When I worked at a car lot we would always check the water level... so many maintenance free batteries would be down at least a little bit.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:29 AM

941 posts, read 3,910,602 times
Generally speaking, the best battery is one with the longest warranty.

Johnson Controls is the largest battery manufacturer in the USA. There are actually only two or three battery manufacturers, but oodles and oodles of brands. However, not all of them are the same as every brand has their own specs for the most part.

My Delco Freedom II battery installed in my '83 T-car lasted 12 years, the longest I've had. Motorcraft came in second at 9 years.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofmotown View Post
We have a 2001 Sunfire we bought new with the original A/C Delco battery 160,000 miles still going strong. I will replace it with another when it dies.
I had an OPTIMA red top that did not last a year in my Mustang. Exchanged it and sold the exchanged one to fund my Die Hard gold.
You must live in a temperate climate so that your battery never gets taxed by winter weather.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You must live in a temperate climate so that your battery never gets taxed by winter weather.
Cold weather will drain a battery but excessive heat will kill one.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:56 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Cold weather will drain a battery but excessive heat will kill one.
And temperate is Mr Inbetween.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 AM

49 posts, read 220,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Actually I live in Michigan so not very temperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive