Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,477,283 times

Advertisements

I have a Hyundai Tucson 2007 GLS, manual drive. I live in the Front Range area of Colorado - approx 5000ft up. I don't do much off-roading but I do drive into the mountains a couple of times a month. Currently my tires are 215-65R16. I'd like to get replacements that are great in the ice and snow that we get periodically during the Winter as well as good for our hot and dry Summers. Is that feasible? My choices at the moment are:
  • Triangle TR777
  • TBC Arctic Claw TXI
  • Michelin Hydroedge
  • Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
If you want great in ice and snow, as well as great in hot and dry you need two sets of tires. Most dedicated winter tires will do great in ice and snow, but wear very fast in hot and dry conditions. Any tire that does great in Hot and dry will suck in ice and snow. A very decent all-season may do well for you, but they will not be great at either extreme; good, but not great. The Blizzak ws-60 are the winter tires I run on my wifes vehicle in the winter and they really are great in snow and ice, but wear very, very fast on hot dry pavement.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,379,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
If you want great in ice and snow, as well as great in hot and dry you need two sets of tires. Most dedicated winter tires will do great in ice and snow, but wear very fast in hot and dry conditions. Any tire that does great in Hot and dry will suck in ice and snow. A very decent all-season may do well for you, but they will not be great at either extreme; good, but not great. The Blizzak ws-60 are the winter tires I run on my wifes vehicle in the winter and they really are great in snow and ice, but wear very, very fast on hot dry pavement.
Solid Advice ^^^

Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,862,823 times
a good set of m/s tires is your best bet if you only want ONE set... but Id reccomend two sets as well

for one set, look at the cooper discoverer ht or even a michelin ltx ms

Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Thanks - that's good to know. I agree with the all-season recommendation. We don't get a lot of snow here and it usually melts within a day or two - mostly we have black ice and compacted snow from the traffic. I might have to wait to invest in Winter tires for next year.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,112,402 times
You know, if you have a place to store a 2nd set of wheels and tires, you really ought to spring for a dedicated set of snow tires.

Failing that, the Pirelli all-season tire is currently rated very high at Tire Rack's survey site.

All-season tires work OK in snow when they are new or near new, but as the tread depth wears down, the snow performance drops off pretty bad.

It's been said before, but would you wear the same shoes year round there on the Front Range? You could get by with just a set of brogans, but you would be getting by, not enjoying the hike like you would with good summer and then good winter shoes/boots.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,869,181 times
My personal opinion on real snow tires is long and examined. I did a boatload of research before buying. The short version is I don't find that much value in real snow tires for a variety of reasons. I have two sets of wheels/tires for my car but the winter set is an all-season, about the best all-season for snow and ice out there (Continental Contiextremecontact, they are M+S rated by the way). My wife's car has one set of all-seasons, equal or better in winter - Nokian WRG2. Another all-season said to be good in snow is Goodyear Tripletread.

Don't buy snows for year round, btw. If you decide to get a second set of snows for winter, cross those Blizzaks off the list. It's a popular but actually mediocre snow tire. They wear fast and they aren't tops for traction either. Look at Michelin Alpin or Nokian Hakkepalita first.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Don't buy snows for year round, btw. If you decide to get a second set of snows for winter, cross those Blizzaks off the list. It's a popular but actually mediocre snow tire. They wear fast and they aren't tops for traction either. Look at Michelin Alpin or Nokian Hakkepalita first.
Actually I have run both the Alpin as well as the Hakkepalita, and the new Blizzak ws-60's are better than both of them. The Nokians are a very close second, but they still come in second place to the new Blizzaks. This is coming from someone who HATED the Blizzaks when they came out and ran the Nokian and studded Winterforce tires in Maine for years. Tried the Blizzak set last year on advice of my tire guy here (West Michigan almost directly across the Lake from you in fact) with the promise that I could exchange them for any other tire if I didn't like them.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:00 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,112,402 times
The thing you have to keep in mind about the Blizzak, is that the snow compound only goes to about half original tread depth. Once you wear them down to 5/32, or 4/32, I forget which, what you have is an ordinary all-season tire with tread that's legal to use but they won't grab the snow anything like they did when new.

Depends on if you can count on driving on snow pretty much all winter, like in Idaho Falls, in that case the Blizzak works well.

Around here we see some snow in winter, some winters anyway, but most of the time the winter road is either dry or just wet with no snow or ice on it. For me, the old Artic Alpin Michelin worked out best. Consumer Reports has just done a tire comparo and it's in the current or next issue IIRC.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, if you have a place to store a 2nd set of wheels and tires, you really ought to spring for a dedicated set of snow tires.

Failing that, the Pirelli all-season tire is currently rated very high at Tire Rack's survey site.

All-season tires work OK in snow when they are new or near new, but as the tread depth wears down, the snow performance drops off pretty bad.

It's been said before, but would you wear the same shoes year round there on the Front Range? You could get by with just a set of brogans, but you would be getting by, not enjoying the hike like you would with good summer and then good winter shoes/boots.
It's not a matter of storage, but a matter of affordability. I can afford (barely) to get four replacement tires but I cannot afford to get two sets of tires at once. Sadly, for some of us, it's a simple matter of economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive