Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:17 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times

Advertisements

I had never heard of "dry rot" in terms of car tires until yesterday when I took my car ('02 Toyota Corolla) in to be serviced. Granted, the tires are a few years old, because I don't drive that much (71,000 miles on it over 6 1/2 years). The last time I had a tire changed (maybe more than one) was almost 3 years ago. Can dry rot occur in such a short time period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I had never heard of "dry rot" in terms of car tires until yesterday when I took my car ('02 Toyota Corolla) in to be serviced. Granted, the tires are a few years old, because I don't drive that much (71,000 miles on it over 6 1/2 years). The last time I had a tire changed (maybe more than one) was almost 3 years ago. Can dry rot occur in such a short time period?
"Short time" period? 3 years or 6 years is not "short" - especially in certain areas of the country.

Out here is the West, where the summers are hot and dry, regardless of how little (or much) you drive, many will recommend having your tires inspected every 2 years for rot / cracking. Personally, I replace my tires every two years regardless - it isn't worth the headache to me to have a tire failure -

I do the same with the batteries on the cars too - every two years - a new one

Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Rubber ages and cracks. Different brands of tires have various rubber compound formulas. Some tire sidewalls are stiffer than others which is better, but those tires are more expensive. Driving on low tire air pressure stresses tires also.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Yes, it exists. This is one reason why using nitrogen instead of compressed air in tires is gaining attention (especially w/ tires getting up there in price). All race cars use nitrogen because it does not shrink and expand like compressed air. Nitrogen also keeps moisture out. Next time your at the gas station go over to the air and blow some out onto your hand. You will notice the moisture that comes out also. The moisture is one culprit of dry rotting. Nitrogen keeps the inside of the tire dry. Phone companies also use it for their phone lines to keep moisture out. There are only a few places that can fill your tires w/ nitrogen. Costco was doing something w/ it but it was not pure so there was still a moisture content in the air/nitrogen they were using. Just adding nitrogen to your tires when they are low won't help. You actually have totally deflate the tires and then add the nitrogen. I have nitrogen in all of my tires and won't let anyone touch them to add air. Then again I keep a close eye on my tire pressure all of the time to make sure I never leave home w/ a low tire.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
just take a look at the side walls for cracks, if there all cracked up replace them.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM

534 posts, read 2,407,707 times
My friend with a porsche race race told me their use Nitrogen to stabilize the tire pressures (quarter psi increments, nuts!) for hot/cold tires, the length of the race. Dryrotting at least in florida is I think caused by the sun and basicly aging of the rubber. Maintaining tire pressure is important to the life of a tire too of course. Like someone said, if you see cracking, they need replacing. If you see cracking AND they are driven low on pressure, sooner or later you will be replacing one on the side of the road, no fun and dangerous.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Absolutely, Sandy

Dry Rot is very common in dry sunny climates. It is a huge problem here in Arizona especially for vehicles parked outside most of the time. In fact, Dry Rot Tires are probably responsible for more accidents than Bald Tires.

Some experts recommend regular use of tire dressings such as ArmorAll (there are many available) to postpone the problem kinda like using lotions or creams on our hands and feet. ! ! ! !

Good Luck

Old 12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Some experts recommend regular use of tire dressings such as ArmorAll (there are many available) to postpone the problem kinda like using lotions or creams on our hands and feet. ! ! ! !

Good Luck
But please remember... apply the ArmorAll only on the sidewalls of the tires and NOT the treads!!! Years ago, on another board, there was a young man that also Armoralled the treads and with dire results. People still remember the story over there.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:29 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But please remember... apply the ArmorAll only on the sidewalls of the tires and NOT the treads!!! Years ago, on another board, there was a young man that also Armoralled the treads and with dire results. People still remember the story over there.
Great point, miu . . . THANKS!

That never entered my mind but definitely another example of what happens when we ASSUME stuff.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
miu

Darwin never sleeps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive